T Nation

Hell Walks (Lunges)

[quote]B rocK wrote:
adarqui wrote:
B rocK wrote:
lol, the original poster got pretty pissed with me.

it seems like he spent more time responding to people then he did actually thinking about these “walking bent over lunges”

retard.

who are you and when did i get pissed at you?

no idea what you’re talking about…

oh shit sorry man, i didn’t mean the OP of this post. I mean the poster of this video. I put a few comments down there and he/she got pretty pissy. [/quote]

hahah… ya i was confused.

ya he did that to me too…

funny, peace

I do not have access to youtube at work, but from posts I thought this would be something different. I thought it was going to be lounges around a track or something. I actually have tried to do this - I did not make it very far.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
For a more experienced lifter… sure. Somebody with 5 years of good training experience who has a good sense of how to use the glutes; the difference between a fatiguing the spinal erectors and blowing out a disk; somebody with some core srength, sure.

[/quote]
Why tempt fate by doing allowing lumbar flexion? Why not just keep the lower back tight and arched and lunge?

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
For a more experienced lifter… sure. Somebody with 5 years of good training experience who has a good sense of how to use the glutes; the difference between a fatiguing the spinal erectors and blowing out a disk; somebody with some core srength, sure.

Why tempt fate by doing allowing lumbar flexion? Why not just keep the lower back tight and arched and lunge?

[/quote]

I dunno, ask people who do them. I don’t do stuff like that, but there are experienced lifters who do and I’m not going to make a final declarations on something I don’t really do. However, I do know that I would never let a kid I train perform a lift like that.

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
For a more experienced lifter… sure. Somebody with 5 years of good training experience who has a good sense of how to use the glutes; the difference between a fatiguing the spinal erectors and blowing out a disk; somebody with some core srength, sure.

Why tempt fate by doing allowing lumbar flexion? Why not just keep the lower back tight and arched and lunge?

[/quote]

A round back position will reduce activation of the spinal extensors, so in theory it would allow you to transfer a greater load to the glutes/hamstrings. But obviously loaded spinal flexion, drastically increases the risk of disc injuries- I learned that the hard way!!!

Why is everybody dissing the kneeling power clean?

I don’t see anything wrong with that movement. Can someone elaborate why they think they are unsafe?
I would think that a kneeling power clean would build tremendous upper back strength.

Why is a seated, “Westside” style, any better/safer?

[quote]TravisCS84 wrote:
Why is everybody dissing the kneeling power clean?

I don’t see anything wrong with that movement. Can someone elaborate why they think they are unsafe?
I would think that a kneeling power clean would build tremendous upper back strength.

[/quote]

I suppose it would be better if the kids were actually able to do a quick shrug and snap it into place. Wouldn’t it be safer for these kids to do upright rows, or clean/snatch pulls? And more effective? Also, these kids are widening there knees to get under the bar, the entire movement is strange.

[quote]TravisCS84 wrote:
Why is everybody dissing the kneeling power clean?

I don’t see anything wrong with that movement. Can someone elaborate why they think they are unsafe?
I would think that a kneeling power clean would build tremendous upper back strength.
[/quote]

The power clean is supposed to be an explosive movement initiated by strong leg and hip drive. You eliminate all these things by doing them kneeling. Whats worse is that starting in the kneeling position puts you in a bad position for a correct clean pull (shoulders are no longer in front of the bar, but now over or behind) so the wrong muscles are being used. The end result is basically losing all the benefits of what the power clean is meant to be used for.

Now if you want to try a new exercise that combines upright rowing and shrugging, then this might be the thing to try. I’m betting the extra stress on the knees probably doesn’t feel good after a while though…

Whoa holy shit, that guys’s gym is in Birmingham, Alabama. That’s where i live… maybe i should head down there and have a word with him haha.

[quote]TravisCS84 wrote:
Why is everybody dissing the kneeling power clean?

I don’t see anything wrong with that movement. Can someone elaborate why they think they are unsafe?
I would think that a kneeling power clean would build tremendous upper back strength.

Why is a seated, “Westside” style, any better/safer?[/quote]

That power clean and defrancos seated clean are two totally different movements. Defrancos is really a dynamic shoulder external rotation work (I dont think he came up with the best name for the exercise) the kneeling power clean is used for…well actually no clue as to what they are trying to do with it there I can think of much better ways to teach the clean and if they are trying to teach hip extension then ones again judging by the form that the guy in the video used they taught him a shrug into reverse cheat curl.

I have heard Simmons speak of the kneeling PC. It sounds like a good exercise. What that kid was doing was not it.

[quote]Typhoon wrote:
the kneeling power clean is used for…well actually no clue as to what they are trying to do with it there I can think of much better ways to teach the clean and if they are trying to teach hip extension then ones again judging by the form that the guy in the video used they taught him a shrug into reverse cheat curl. [/quote]

I just tried that on my floor with an empty barbell. I’ll prefer to stay on my feet and keep my knees intact.

I think they’re trying to avoid overdeveloping the legs. I understand everyone’s having that problem lately. Massive legs. It really makes it hard to find pants for the team. You need to take them out of the movement to isolate the upper body.

:slight_smile:

Seriously though. I googled kneeling power cleans and saw this article by Louie Simmons listing a bunch of odd variations:

http://www.dynamosportoh.com/articles/art002.html

[quote]Did you know that there are much better exercises than the standard Olympic lifts, as follows:

â?¢ Kneeling squats. After kneeling down with the heels touching the glutes, jump into a full squat.
â?¢ Kneeling power cleans. The next progression is the kneeling power snatch.
â?¢ Kneeling split snatch and kneeling power snatch.
â?¢ Straight leg power clean and snatch and clean.
â?¢ Power snatch while sitting with the bar across the legs.
We have a thrower who trains with us occasionally who can do a kneeling jump squat with 255. John Stafford has jumped onto a 35-inch box with a pair of 70-pound dumbbells.
[/quote]

it seems like way too many coaches are citing Louie for using very sloppy exercises… unfortunately, most of these videos I’ve seen utilize these exercises on immature athletes… having a 13 year old girl doing round back trap bar deadlifts, or a 13 year old girl doing dive bomb box squats, or some 16 year old kid doing kneeling retard cleans, is not the best idea for their development.

there’s also a trend of coaches trying to imitate archuletta’s training by Schroeder with < 15 year olds… split squat drops from 30" boxes onto jello legs, great idea!

peace

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
the kneeling power clean is used for…well actually no clue as to what they are trying to do with it there I can think of much better ways to teach the clean and if they are trying to teach hip extension then ones again judging by the form that the guy in the video used they taught him a shrug into reverse cheat curl.

I just tried that on my floor with an empty barbell. I’ll prefer to stay on my feet and keep my knees intact.

I think they’re trying to avoid overdeveloping the legs. I understand everyone’s having that problem lately. Massive legs. It really makes it hard to find pants for the team. You need to take them out of the movement to isolate the upper body.

:slight_smile:

Seriously though. I googled kneeling power cleans and saw this article by Louie Simmons listing a bunch of odd variations:

http://www.dynamosportoh.com/articles/art002.html

Did you know that there are much better exercises than the standard Olympic lifts, as follows:

�¢?�¢ Kneeling squats. After kneeling down with the heels touching the glutes, jump into a full squat.
�¢?�¢ Kneeling power cleans. The next progression is the kneeling power snatch.
�¢?�¢ Kneeling split snatch and kneeling power snatch.
�¢?�¢ Straight leg power clean and snatch and clean.
�¢?�¢ Power snatch while sitting with the bar across the legs.
We have a thrower who trains with us occasionally who can do a kneeling jump squat with 255. John Stafford has jumped onto a 35-inch box with a pair of 70-pound dumbbells.

[/quote]

haha @ kneeling variations better than the standard oly lifts…

everyone is entitled to their opnion, but i would definitely disagree with that.

that’s similar to someone saying pistols are better for development than a standard squat.

peace

[quote]Hooker#1 wrote:

A round back position will reduce activation of the spinal extensors, so in theory it would allow you to transfer a greater load to the glutes/hamstrings. But obviously loaded spinal flexion, drastically increases the risk of disc injuries- I learned that the hard way!!!
[/quote]

No doubt that the glutes have to work to extend the hip, but what is working at the trunk (if the spinal extensors aren’t)…more stress on the ligamentous structures = back news!

I hope you are well healed from any injuries.

Man I wish! I still cant squat or deadlift. big time herniated disc at L5-S1. I’m trying to get it sorted on the NHS because I don’t have private health care but I’ve been told I have minimal chance of getting it fixed. Apparently to qualify as a candidate for surgery on the NHS you have to have bladder control problems and pain radiating all the way down both legs as a consequence of injury.

Bench only meets for me now!

[quote]Hooker#1 wrote:
Man I wish! I still cant squat or deadlift. big time herniated disc at L5-S1. I’m trying to get it sorted on the NHS because I don’t have private health care but I’ve been told I have minimal chance of getting it fixed. Apparently to qualify as a candidate for surgery on the NHS you have to have bladder control problems and pain radiating all the way down both legs as a consequence of injury.

Bench only meets for me now![/quote]

damn… sucks man i hope you get better.

peace