T Nation

Heisman Trophy

[quote]poolcook wrote:
I’m still surprised Ray Rice got invited, thats a hell of an accomplishment for Rutgers, maybe now more NJ kids will stay and play for the Scarlet Knights.[/quote]

Their victory over Louisville was one of the best games of the year. Since the head coach turned down the Miami job I think their recruiting is going to be much better as well, but is NJ really a known breeding grownd for consistent college football players?

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
poolcook wrote:
I’m still surprised Ray Rice got invited, thats a hell of an accomplishment for Rutgers, maybe now more NJ kids will stay and play for the Scarlet Knights.

Their victory over Louisville was one of the best games of the year. Since the head coach turned down the Miami job I think their recruiting is going to be much better as well, but is NJ really a known breeding grownd for consistent college football players?

B.

[/quote]
Absolutely. If you look at the rosters around the country, you will find NJ right up there, just behind Florida, California and Texas. No lie. Notre Dame, the Big Ten, ACC and Big East get a lot of players from NJ. USC too.

DB

I think Hack Wilson is one of the bigger idiots I’ve encountered on T-Nation. What a waste.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
I think Hack Wilson is one of the bigger idiots I’ve encountered on T-Nation. What a waste.[/quote]

Is Hack a Heisman finalist? WTF?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:
I think Hack Wilson is one of the bigger idiots I’ve encountered on T-Nation. What a waste.

Is Hack a Heisman finalist? WTF?[/quote]

It’s important that there is not a single thread where people can disagree and discuss something as world shattering as the Heisman Trophy without some internet tough guy with nothing to add start blustering about.

I don’t know why they just, if Hack is so inclined, I can’t speak for him, don’t PM each other and rage thill their testosterone is spent and leave the rest of us to discuss in relative calm and in the spirit of fun.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:

It’s important that there is not a single thread where people can disagree and discuss something as world shattering as the Heisman Trophy without some internet tough guy with nothing to add start blustering about.

I don’t know why they just, if Hack is so inclined, I can’t speak for him, don’t PM each other and rage thill their testosterone is spent and leave the rest of us to discuss in relative calm and in the spirit of fun.

[/quote]

I agree. Every thread does come to this. Why? I don’t know. I was just pointing something out. I’m not some tough guy by far. I’m sure Hack Wilson is a great guy.I just disagree with a lot of the stuff he writes. Don’t act all high mighty. I’m sure you’re guilty of the same thing as I and most everyone else on this site are. I’m sure Hack Wilson’s feelings aren’t hurt, just like I’m sure that there is no one slitting his or her wrists after getting called an idiot on a thread. Come on dude. Take it easy. Enjoy life a little.

That being said, you’re right: I didn’t add anything conducive to the original topic. Let me add something now. I don’t think that this is a great Heisman class or that anyone is that far ahead of anyone else. That being said, Troy Smith won his big games (Texas and Michigan) while Quinn lost his (USC and Michigan). I think that puts him in the lead, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the over-hyped Quinn won it.

That being said, what about their Pro careers? A lot is being said about Quinn being the better pro prospect. What do you guys think?

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:
poolcook wrote:
I’m still surprised Ray Rice got invited, thats a hell of an accomplishment for Rutgers, maybe now more NJ kids will stay and play for the Scarlet Knights.

B.

Absolutely. If you look at the rosters around the country, you will find NJ right up there, just behind Florida, California and Texas. No lie. Notre Dame, the Big Ten, ACC and Big East get a lot of players from NJ. USC too.

DB
[/quote]

Know any players off the top of your head? I hadn’t heard of NJ being a recruiter’s dream until they started winning this year. I always heard that Florida, California, and Texas were, but never NJ.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
Know any players off the top of your head? I hadn’t heard of NJ being a recruiter’s dream until they started winning this year. I always heard that Florida, California, and Texas were, but never NJ.[/quote]

Brian Cushing, starts for USC. Also was a Joe DeFranco poster boy.

You see some decent talent come out of Jersey. Obviously nothing like those three states… but look at the difference in population. Jersey certainly produces some solid talent and if Rutgers can keep it in-state it will defintly be advantageous for them.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
Know any players off the top of your head? I hadn’t heard of NJ being a recruiter’s dream until they started winning this year. I always heard that Florida, California, and Texas were, but never NJ.[/quote]

Dwayne Jarrett (WR, USC) and Mike Hart (RB, Michigan) both came out of the NY/NJ area.

It is very true that NJ is a recruiting hotbed, there’s just no large superpower in that area that scoops up all the recruits like there are in Texas, Florida, and California. That is why nobody knows that NJ is a big recruiting area.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:
Know any players off the top of your head? I hadn’t heard of NJ being a recruiter’s dream until they started winning this year. I always heard that Florida, California, and Texas were, but never NJ.

Dwayne Jarrett (WR, USC) and Mike Hart (RB, Michigan) both came out of the NY/NJ area.

It is very true that NJ is a recruiting hotbed, there’s just no large superpower in that area that scoops up all the recruits like there are in Texas, Florida, and California. That is why nobody knows that NJ is a big recruiting area.[/quote]

Pretty good stuff. Thanks.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:
poolcook wrote:

B.

DB

Off the top of my head, the Huskers picked up a Heisman winner from New Jersey in Mike Rozier. The Peter brothers were from Jersey also I believe. (Trying to pull information from one remaining brain cell, so I could be wrong.)

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
btm62 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:

I agree. Every thread does come to this. Why? I don’t know. I was just pointing something out. I’m not some tough guy by far. I’m sure Hack Wilson is a great guy.I just disagree with a lot of the stuff he writes. Don’t act all high mighty. I’m sure you’re guilty of the same thing as I and most everyone else on this site are. I’m sure Hack Wilson’s feelings aren’t hurt, just like I’m sure that there is no one slitting his or her wrists after getting called an idiot on a thread. Come on dude. Take it easy. Enjoy life a little.

That being said, you’re right: I didn’t add anything conducive to the original topic. Let me add something now. I don’t think that this is a great Heisman class or that anyone is that far ahead of anyone else. That being said, Troy Smith won his big games (Texas and Michigan) while Quinn lost his (USC and Michigan). I think that puts him in the lead, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the over-hyped Quinn won it.

That being said, what about their Pro careers? A lot is being said about Quinn being the better pro prospect. What do you guys think?[/quote]

Just a little frustrating sometimes, I gotta try to stay out of the political thread, drives me nuts sometimes and then all shitty too. Peace.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:
poolcook wrote:

B.

DB

Don’t forget Ohio and PA, home to the Heisman and Bednarik winners, respectively.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
I think Hack Wilson is one of the bigger idiots I’ve encountered on T-Nation. What a waste.[/quote]

Jesus. I just realized. You’re RIGHT! Biggest idiots on T-Nation! On T-Nation!!! Oh. Oh…I’ve wasted my LIFE!

By the way, asshole: You need to GET a life.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
btm62 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:

[/quote]

So…I hate OSU. Sue me.

On another note. Troy Smith will be a better pro than Quinn. Bear in mind, I HATE Ohio State. But I recognognize in Smith something: He’s a winner. You know that guy, right? He’s the guy that is just going to win. He’s going to be on the winning team. Every time. That’s what Smith is. I said the same thing about Vince Young. He’s just going to win.

I think that Quinn will have wonderful NFL statistics. He’ll probably be a 20+ TD guy for 12 years. Get to the playoffs a few times. That’s what I see out of him. Smith? He’ll be a 12-15 TD guy. He’ll hurt you when he gets out of the pocket. And he’ll win games. Including a few Superbowls.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:

Jesus. I just realized. You’re RIGHT! Biggest idiots on T-Nation! On T-Nation!!! Oh. Oh…I’ve wasted my LIFE!

By the way, asshole: You need to GET a life.[/quote]

Thanks for the life-altering advice. I’ll be sure to go out and get one as soon as I get out of work.

WOrta1128 wrote:
btm62 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:

So…I hate OSU. Sue me.

On another note. Troy Smith will be a better pro than Quinn. Bear in mind, I HATE Ohio State. But I recognognize in Smith something: He’s a winner. You know that guy, right? He’s the guy that is just going to win. He’s going to be on the winning team. Every time. That’s what Smith is. I said the same thing about Vince Young. He’s just going to win.

I think that Quinn will have wonderful NFL statistics. He’ll probably be a 20+ TD guy for 12 years. Get to the playoffs a few times. That’s what I see out of him. Smith? He’ll be a 12-15 TD guy. He’ll hurt you when he gets out of the pocket. And he’ll win games. Including a few Superbowls.
[/quote]

I don’t know. I tend to agree (I don’t like Brady Quinn that much, and you’re right: Smith does seem like a winner), but I’m not as sold on him as I was on Vince Young coming out. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

[/quote]

I agree 100%. Smith is a gamer. Quinn is a choker that will put up great stats, ala Peyton Manning.

[/quote]

Smith will be a great NFL cube in my mind, but he’ll probably get drafted by Oakland so there’s a limit to how good he’ll really be unless Big Al kicks the bucket between now and next season.

As for Quinn, that poor dude is going to be wearing the good ol Silver and Powder Blue of Detroit, so his career is doomed.

Dammit I love me some speculation.

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

As for Quinn, that poor dude is going to be wearing the good ol Silver and Powder Blue of Detroit, so his career is doomed.

[/quote]

People said the same about Carson Palmer and the ‘orange and black’ of the Bengals a few years back. So you never know, right?