Heisman Trophy

Is it just me or are none of the 3 finalists especially deserving of this trophy?

Smith - A good player to be sure, but Heisman quality? Falls a little short to me.

McFadden - eh.

Quinn - Please. Maybe the Hypeman Trophy.

Yes, they are good players, but are they anymore deserving than the next guy? Do they stand out that much?

I don’t think so.

I don’t think that between the 3 of them any of them would make the Top picks in the NFL draft. IMO.

The Heisman needs to stop touting itself as the award for the best college football player, and start touting itself as the award for the best of the QBs, RBs, and WRs from the major conferences.

And yes, I agree with you, no one is really standing out as deserving. It is hard to quantify who the best player is. Kevin Kolb of Houston threw for almost 1000yds more than Smith, and is as just as good a pro prospect.

Not saying Kolb should have won, Conference USA does have a weaker schedule, but if you ain’t on TV every week, you are not going to be considered.

Seems like you’re trying to stir up some shit.

Troy Smith is more than deserving of it this year, and in my mind he stands alone as the winner of the trophy.

As for Heisman’s going to guys who didn’t deserve it or make it in the NFL, look no further than your own Eric Crouch.

B.

Yeah I don’t think any of the candidates are as strong this year, but that also could have to do with last year having such spectacular stars like Bush and Young. Troy Smith is obviously the clear cut winner and while he’s not the most spectacular, he’s better than some that have won the Heisman. I’m just not a big fan of the guy because he’s a Buckeye, but he is damn good.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
As for Heisman’s going to guys who didn’t deserve it or make it in the NFL, look no further than your own Eric Crouch.
[/quote]

I forgot about him. Eric “I don’t wanna play football anymore, oh wait I changed my mind, but only if I can be quarterback” Crouch.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Seems like you’re trying to stir up some shit.

Troy Smith is more than deserving of it this year, and in my mind he stands alone as the winner of the trophy.

B.[/quote]

No, tough guy, you’re the one stirring up shit. I did not say anything about NFL prospect figuring in to anything. I also stated it was my opinion. These forums are to discuss things. Grasp the concept.

You can have your opinion on Crouch. Hell of College Football Player. I think Tommy Frazier was more deserving and never got one. The debate is endless, that’s why the forums, to discuss.

My opinion and you’re opinion are just that…opinions…

Now simma and git!

[quote]malonetd wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:

I forgot about him. Eric “I don’t wanna play football anymore, oh wait I changed my mind, but only if I can be quarterback” Crouch.[/quote]

He’s not overly big on my list of role models either. He played some pretty good ball while he was here though. I think if he had brains, he’s of been a wideout or a db in the pros. Certainly possessed the speed and the physical toughness. Was never gonna make it as a quarterback though.

I’m old enough to remember he days when Lineman and Defensive players, interior guys at least got invited to the presentation and got votes. Seems to be all about advertising now. Media Blitz.

The Heisman has been about hype (especially at Notre Dame) since the mid-80s, moreso than it is about the most deserving player. Tim Brown won it in 1987 even though Don McPherson had a much better year at Syracuse as the QB on an 11-0 team. But because Brown had such a good season in 1986 at Notre Dame, his hype started in August. Syracuse was unranked through about 4 weeks of that season, so the hype around McPherson didn’t get started until about week 5 or 6, after they undressed Penn State on national tv.

You can also include the Paul Hornung over Jim Brown Heisman in 1957. Although that one probably had as much to do with race as it did Notre Dame hype.

Just a little unsolicited Heisman history for you.

DB

Oh, Jesus. You said something that can concievably be be construed as anti-Ohio State (Sorry! THE Ohio State UNIVERSITY!). This is only going to result in a bunch of brain-dead morons from Columbus writing…well…here…I’ll save 'em the trouble!

FUCK YOU, man! Troy Smith is the BOMB! If I wasn’t sitting on my fatass eating a Wendy-burger I’d stomp on you!

Go to hell, dude! Ohio State is the greatest and GO BUCKS! If you don’t like the Bucks they keep it to youself, you fucking asshole you! Tress is the best and even though Troy Smith took money from a booster he’s still a class guy and we love him OKAY! So…yeah!

YOU MUST BE FROM MICH…sorry! That state up north! Oh, and fuck you! By the way! Why do all the boadcasters hate Ohio State! Musberger hates the Bucks, man! Fuck him and fuck you and go Bucks! Did I say Go bucks? 'Cause I meant to. So…Go Bucks!

This season reminds me a lot of 2001 and 2002 where there were a handful of guys there were okay, but no really GREAT players.

In 2003, 2004, and 2005, there were multiple GREAT players who all deserved Heismans, and then 2001, 2002, and 2006 where NOBODY really deserved a Heisman.

There’s no doubt that they’re going to give it to Smith, but he’s not really a Heisman QB IMO. He’s a solid QB, but he doesn’t that little extra bit that real Heisman QB’s have.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Oh, Jesus. You said something that can concievably be be construed as anti-Ohio State (Sorry! THE Ohio State UNIVERSITY!). This is only going to result in a bunch of brain-dead morons from Columbus writing…well…here…I’ll save 'em the trouble!

FUCK YOU, man! Troy Smith is the BOMB! If I wasn’t sitting on my fatass eating a Wendy-burger I’d stomp on you!

Go to hell, dude! Ohio State is the greatest and GO BUCKS! If you don’t like the Bucks they keep it to youself, you fucking asshole you! Tress is the best and even though Troy Smith took money from a booster he’s still a class guy and we love him OKAY! So…yeah!

YOU MUST BE FROM MICH…sorry! That state up north! Oh, and fuck you! By the way! Why do all the boadcasters hate Ohio State! Musberger hates the Bucks, man! Fuck him and fuck you and go Bucks! Did I say Go bucks? 'Cause I meant to. So…Go Bucks!

[/quote]

I’m sorry.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
…You can have your opinion on Crouch. Hell of College Football Player. I think Tommy Frazier was more deserving and never got one. The debate is endless, that’s why the forums, to discuss.

Now simma and git![/quote]

Frazier was an incredible college player.

James Laurenitus

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
James Laurenitus[/quote]

YEAH! GO BUCKS! Fuck Michigan! Oh…

And we at OSU have class fans! We are are class! That’s what we are, dude!

Have you ever seen script Ohio? Brings a tear to your eye! It’s all class! So fuck you!

Michigan can suck my cock!

Signed,

Classy OSU Fan

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
This season reminds me a lot of 2001 and 2002 where there were a handful of guys there were okay, but no really GREAT players.

In 2003, 2004, and 2005, there were multiple GREAT players who all deserved Heismans, and then 2001, 2002, and 2006 where NOBODY really deserved a Heisman.

There’s no doubt that they’re going to give it to Smith, but he’s not really a Heisman QB IMO. He’s a solid QB, but he doesn’t that little extra bit that real Heisman QB’s have.[/quote]

So let me get this straight. Jason White had that “little extra bit,” but Carson Palmer didn’t?

I don’t think I agree.

Every Heisman winner and, for that matter, every Heisman finalist is an fantastic college football player.

Todd (OSU fan, for what that’s worth.)

Have you ever seen script Ohio? Brings a tear to your eye! [/quote]

While it’s kind of cool to see the Ohio taking shape, the whole “dotting the I” thing is WAY overblown. So a fat tuba player runs out and waves his hat around, BFD. If it’s a naked chick with 80HHH cans flopping around, ok, but just some bloke?

Then again, everyone’s traditions seem way more important to them than to outsiders.

DB

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
btm62 wrote:
…You can have your opinion on Crouch. Hell of College Football Player. I think Tommy Frazier was more deserving and never got one. The debate is endless, that’s why the forums, to discuss.

Now simma and git!

Frazier was an incredible college player.
[/quote]

Truth. Witness:

He made Florida look like a Pop Warner team.

[quote]Kayrob wrote:

The Heisman needs to stop touting itself as the award for the best college football player, and start touting itself as the award for the best of the QBs, RBs, and WRs from the major conferences.

And yes, I agree with you, no one is really standing out as deserving. It is hard to quantify who the best player is. Kevin Kolb of Houston threw for almost 1000yds more than Smith, and is as just as good a pro prospect.

Not saying Kolb should have won, Conference USA does have a weaker schedule, but if you ain’t on TV every week, you are not going to be considered.[/quote]

yards: 4990
TDs: 53
QB Rating: 182.80
COMP: 72.2%

Leading in every statistical category for quarterbacks, and having thrown for over a thousand yards more than Kolb is Colt Brennan of Hawaii…not considered either, but then the WAC does suck.

Headhunter wrote:
James Laurenitus

YEAH! GO BUCKS! Fuck Michigan! Oh…

And we at OSU have class fans! We are are class! That’s what we are, dude!

Have you ever seen script Ohio? Brings a tear to your eye! It’s all class! So fuck you!

Michigan can suck my cock!

Signed,

Classy OSU Fan[/quote]

Huh?

Anyway, I also cheer for old Chicago Cubs baseball players. Does that count for anything? :wink:

Michigan Grad, now living in Ohio.

I’m still surprised Ray Rice got invited, thats a hell of an accomplishment for Rutgers, maybe now more NJ kids will stay and play for the Scarlet Knights.