Heisman Talk

[quote]eic wrote:
SSC wrote:
Graham Harrell = 360 pass attempts this year
Colt McCoy = 242 pass attempts this year

Graham Harrell = Asshat system quarterback. Anyone who says this fuck is any different or better than someone like Colt Brennan needs to seriously check their college football knowledge.

Simmer down, son. If indeed Harrell is only benefiting from a one-dimensional offensive system, then why don’t opposing defenses stop him? I just don’t get arguments like yours. If Harrell’s numbers are inflated because Tech has zero running game and throws every down, then they should be easy to stop, right? Yet no one can seem to slow them down, despite knowing what’s coming!

It is universally accepted that a strong running game helps a passing offense by keeping the defense honest. It takes “pressure” off the QB and also sets up the play action. Therefore, a strong argument can be made that Tech’s apparent inability (or refusal) to run the ball is a hinderance to Harrell, not an advantage.[/quote]

Is it a coincidence that Tech is undefeated this season and is averaging over 130 yards per game (5.5+ yards/carry) on the ground?

Texas is scared shitless about Saturday - as well they should be.

If Tech goes undefeated, beating 3 top ten teams in a row, then system or not - Graham deserves the Heisman.

Who ever made the comparison to Hawaii needs to be banned from this thread for being the biggest dumbass in the history of dumbasses.

[quote]elano wrote:
Knowshon Moreno.[/quote]

How’d he do when we whooped that ass? 34 yards. In fact, the only semi-decent team he rushed for over 100 on was LSU. As much as I’d love an SEC player to get it, Knowshon doesn’t cut it.

Whoever wins the Tech/Texas game should have the lead at the Heisman but it is college FB and anything can happen.

I really don’t think Texas has a problem beating Tech but I was there in 98 when they were undefeated (I believe) and Texas went into Lubbock for a night game. Texas had Kwame, Ricky Williams, that other reciever (played some NFL), and I believe Major at QB. Anywho, they got upset and pissed away their Nat’l champ. chances. I witnessed flying tortillas for the first and only time in my life that game. Good times - got lost later that night, split up from friends and finally found my way back to my buddies around 6 am…

Oh ya, I like McCoy for Heisman.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
Whoever wins the Tech/Texas game should have the lead at the Heisman but it is college FB and anything can happen.

I really don’t think Texas has a problem beating Tech but I was there in 98 when they were undefeated (I believe) and Texas went into Lubbock for a night game. Texas had Kwame, Ricky Williams, that other reciever (played some NFL), and I believe Major at QB. Anywho, they got upset and pissed away their Nat’l champ. chances. I witnessed flying tortillas for the first and only time in my life that game. Good times - got lost later that night, split up from friends and finally found my way back to my buddies around 6 am…

Oh ya, I like McCoy for Heisman. [/quote]

We are not allowed to throw tortillas anymore which I think is a crock.

But 98 was back when we had a kickass defense, and no offense.

If we had that defense and Leach’s offense…holy shit we would be wicked.

tu has had their hands full with Tech over the last few years, especially in Lubbock. The t-sippers need to think more about defense and less about McCoy of they want to leave West Texas with a win.

But I think you are right - QB1 of the winner has the inside track to the heisman.

Then again, Tech still has OSU and UT-Norman left on the schedule.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Who ever made the comparison to Hawaii needs to be banned from this thread for being the biggest dumbass in the history of dumbasses.

[/quote]

Hey, I was just relaying information on what “experts” were saying last year about his chances of winning.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Hey, I was just relaying information on what “experts” were saying last year about his chances of winning.[/quote]

I think it was SSC - not you - who brought up Hawaii.

But to the point you made - the Heisman rarely goes to a player on a 3-loss team, unless he is head and shoulders better than the rest of the players in the country.

This year, there is not one of those guys in the running.

Most all of college football is migrating to the spread, which is a system. It makes for tons of points, and stretches the defense out to make blocking and pass routes easier.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Hey, I was just relaying information on what “experts” were saying last year about his chances of winning.

But to the point you made - the Heisman rarely goes to a player on a 3-loss team, unless he is head and shoulders better than the rest of the players in the country.

Most all of college football is migrating to the spread, which is a system. It makes for tons of points, and stretches the defense out to make blocking and pass routes easier.

[/quote]

Oh ok, thought you were referring to me. My fault.

But yeah, I agree that the Heisman rarely goes to 3 loss team, and the spread is definitely taking over the college football landscape.

You gonna be able to make it to Lubbock this weekend for the game?

[quote]SSC wrote:
Graham Harrell = 360 pass attempts this year
Colt McCoy = 242 pass attempts this year

Graham Harrell = Asshat system quarterback. Anyone who says this fuck is any different or better than someone like Colt Brennan needs to seriously check their college football knowledge.[/quote]

you seem like a hater of the big 12. brennan played against WAC defenses. nothing WAC has, is, or was is comparable to the big 12. the big ten is mostly garbage too. i do like psu though and M state has done well for themselves. i hope they beat osu. typed with one hand…sorry.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
JGerman wrote:

tu has had their hands full with Tech over the last few years, especially in Lubbock. The t-sippers need to think more about defense and less about McCoy of they want to leave West Texas with a win.

But I think you are right - QB1 of the winner has the inside track to the heisman.

Then again, Tech still has OSU and UT-Norman left on the schedule. [/quote]

What was the meaning behind the tortilla? They try to take all the fun away.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
rainjack wrote:
JGerman wrote:

Then again, Tech still has OSU and UT-Norman left on the schedule.

[/quote]

Tortillas signifies going to the Fiesta Bowl, which is where the national championship game was being played that year.

I went to the University of Oklahoma, and in 2000, people threw oranges onto the field, signifying OU going to the Orange Bowl to play for the national championship.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

You gonna be able to make it to Lubbock this weekend for the game?[/quote]

Tickets are going for $340 per for shit seats, and the hotels in Lubbock have been booked for this weekend since the schedule came out. So no - I’m not going. My neighbors are and they remind me every time I seem them.

It’s probably a good thing, though. I have never seen Tech win a game in person. I am a jinx. I don’t think I will even watch the game.

Let me break it down like this: No, I have no ill feelings towards the Big XII. I think it’s easily the second-best conference in the nation. I have a problem with people who think someone who throws 60 passes a game against a conference that NOTORIOUSLY doesn’t play defense.

Seriously. Look at almost every single fucking game this year in the Big XII and try to convince me that it’s a defensive conference. Give me a fucking break.

To eic, Texas Tech runs the exact same system every year. They throw a lot. As aforementioned, the Big XII already is a terrible defensive conference, and most teams (ALL conferences) don’t have any decent cornerbacks outside of their two starters. You really expect some #5 walk-on freshman for Iowa State to defend against the kind of receivers the Big XII manufactures?

RJ - You make a point. If Texas Tech can run the table, of course Harrell should win the Heisman. I was more speaking in terms of comparing McCoy vs. Harrell. It’s not even a viable comparison, really. McCoy is far more dynamic and efficient in the passing game, and has a good set of legs on him. If I’m not mistaken, TT DOES still have a Heisman candidate (Crabtree) on their team. I watch a LOT of college football, and I can’t even think of a Texas receiver off the top of my head. McCoy is far more complete, and should be miles ahead of anyone else in the Heisman race this year.

If people are still having a problem understanding my points, then I’m done talking.

[quote]JGerman wrote:

[/quote]

There was never any meaning behind the tortillas. Basically it started back in the early 90’s when some of drunk college kids threw some onto the field, and they flew like frisbees.

The next home game, a few more drunk college kids brought some tortillas, and so on, and so on, until it got to the point that, on game days, every tortilla in Lubbock was bought up.

They threw them usually only on kickoffs, until the Aggies came to town back in 2001 or so, and the fans pelted the shit out of them. The cry baby aggies said that there were rocks in the tortillas. But that’s about like an aggie. How in the hell can you get a rock in a tortilla?

But the tradition has never officially existed if you ask anyone in the administration. They throw people out of the stadium when they are caught with the evil disks.

I think it should be brought back this week.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

[/quote]

It can if you play for Notre Dame.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
It’s probably a good thing, though. I have never seen Tech win a game in person. I am a jinx. I don’t think I will even watch the game. [/quote]

I’ll give you a dollar if you go watch the OU/Tech game.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
JGerman wrote:

There was never any meaning behind the tortillas. Basically it started back in the early 90’s when some of drunk college kids threw some onto the field, and they flew like frisbees.

The next home game, a few more drunk college kids brought some tortillas, and so on, and so on, until it got to the point that, on game days, every tortilla in Lubbock was bought up.

They threw them usually only on kickoffs, until the Aggies came to town back in 2001 or so, and the fans pelted the shit out of them. The cry baby aggies said that there were rocks in the tortillas. But that’s about like an aggie. How in the hell can you get a rock in a tortilla?

But the tradition has never officially existed if you ask anyone in the administration. They throw people out of the stadium when they are caught with the evil disks.

I think it should be brought back this week. [/quote]

Aggies were meant to be pelted. With tortillas, rocks, goalposts, whatever.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
i do like psu though and M state has done well for themselves. i hope they beat osu. typed with one hand…sorry. [/quote]

You do realize OSU already beat M State right, and it wasn’t close… at all.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Let me break it down like this: No, I have no ill feelings towards the Big XII. I think it’s easily the second-best conference in the nation. I have a problem with people who think someone who throws 60 passes a game against a conference that NOTORIOUSLY doesn’t play defense.[/quote]

The SECOND best conference? Are we watching different sports? As for the defense discussion, Florida/Georgia/Bama are dropping points all over the entire conference. LSU just finished giving up 50 to the dogs AT HOME, 2 weeks after giving up 50 to the gators, who just dropped a 63 bomb. It’s no different than what is happening in the Big12, the good offenses put up points regardless.

For the record I hate the big12 and sec equally, no bias here.

This is not meant in the same harsh tone as above, but Jordan Shippley has been playing really well for the Horns, total nobody before this year so it makes sense for most people to not recognize the name so much. He’s no Crabtree/Bryant/Maclin so your point stays pretty true.

[quote]Spike9726 wrote:
Aggies were meant to be pelted. With tortillas, rocks, goalposts, whatever.[/quote]

That goes without saying, but only an aggie would think you could stuff rocks inside a tortilla.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
That goes without saying, but only an aggie would think you could stuff rocks inside a tortilla. [/quote]

Where you one of the people trying to carry the goalposts into the visiting fans section after you shutout the Aggies?

[quote]Spike9726 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
That goes without saying, but only an aggie would think you could stuff rocks inside a tortilla.

Where you one of the people trying to carry the goalposts into the visiting fans section after you shutout the Aggies?

[/quote]

Hell no. I thought that was a stupid move then, and still think it is today.

Flinging tortillas is one thing. Mob violence is another.

I shudder to think what might happen when Tech wins Saturday Night.