Height:Weight for Natural BBing

im sure anyone whos done this seriously has put thought into doing a contest. i definately dont think im ready right now but maybe in a year, two, or just whenever the time feels right. anyway im wondering what a typical contest weight for a guy whos 6 feet is…now i know theres different weight classes but im just wondering where id find most other guys my height so im not competing at 200 with guys 4 inches shorter than me. thanks.

Well, to be totally honest, I think you know you’re not going to get any sort of exact answer, because there is no real concrete answer. If you’re an all-natural BB’er, wanting to compete at 6’, I’d say you may want to try to get to at least 205-215 lbs before you think about competing. You’re definitely going to be towards the upper echelon of weight classes because of your height.

I’m no competitive BB’er (yet,) but that’s just my .02.

it all depends …

wolf : 5’9 ~250lbs

coleman : 5’10 300+lbs :s

yeah but im not talking about Pro unlimited class, im talking about for like nat amateaur contests

@SSC im not far off from 205 already so i think itd have to be a higher figure. and its usually what like a 20lb drop to contest weight? from ~12%

Pick up an issue of Natural BBIng and FItness. They usually give you the stats of the folks who are at the top of the game.

As far as conditioning goes, I’m sure you’ll hafta come down a lot more than that. I’m currently down to 195, but although I may appear pretty ‘ripped’ by normal standards, I’d have to go down another 15 lbs or so to be in any sort of competitive ‘contest shape’.

If you need to be ripped at 205, you will probably need to get up to at least 220 at a reasonable condition.

S

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
yeah but im not talking about Pro unlimited class, im talking about for like nat amateaur contests

@SSC im not far off from 205 already so i think itd have to be a higher figure. and its usually what like a 20lb drop to contest weight? from ~12%[/quote]

What I meant is that some look really huge @ a certain weight while others dont…

oh, i see what you mean. yeah its true and i dont want to diet down 15 lbs just to check lol.

off topic, do you ever plan on competing stu?

[quote]zraw wrote:
it all depends …

coleman : 5’10 300+lbs :s[/quote]

He said “natural.”

Here let me help you out. Somebody gave this to me so I will pass it to you.

The IFBB has a “Classic Bodybuilding” designation where they cap your contest weight based on your height. Check it out.

From the IFBB website:

"Classic Bodybuilding :

It is a version of bodybuilding for those male athletes who don’t want to develop their muscles to their “extreme” full potentials but prefer lighter “classic” physique. To create the equal chances to them, the competitors’ bodyweight is limited according to their body height, following the special IFBB formula for each body height category (currently there are four categories: 170 cm; 175 cm, 180 cm and over 180cm).

Since muscle mass is limited, special attention is paid to the overall view of the physique, body proportions and lines, muscle shape and condition (density, bodyfat level, definition and details). These values are assessed by the judges during Rounds 1 and 3. In Round 2, like in bodybuilding, free posing exercises are performed to music of athlete’s choice."

The exact rules are available in a PDF.

http://www.ifbb.com/amarules/IFBBRulebook_2006-2007Edition.pdf

go to page 99 for Classic bodybuilding rules.

If you want to compete all natural, do yourself a favor and DO NOT COMPETE FOR ANOTHER 3-5 YEARS.

Get as big as you can, then compete.

I’m sick of seeing skinny idiots compete in natural competitions, either never bulking (because they don’t want to add fat, or because that “only works for users”) or dieting down 2+ times a year and then thinking that this is all one can naturally achieve.

Now, other people see these idiots and think “Gee, if you can be no more than 190 (if even) at 6+ feet in contest shape, guess everyone above that is on drugs and/or ubergifted !!!”

Pay your dues… (I don’t want to paste that Dante quote again), please, so you won’t end up as one of those tools who then go out sprouting shit like “your ankle measurement determines your maximum lean bodymass at your height !!!”.

Good luck with competing though, whatever you end up doing.

Hmnn well, looking at your profile pics,… even though you appear very solid (decent size, and fairly lean), you should probably get a little more size before you diet down. I have a feeling if you cut for a show now, you’d be a little disappointed with the results. Sadly, at your height, you’d have to compete in either the light heavies, or heavies. I don’t know the exact cut off weights, but usually larger guys will try to come in at the higher end of the lower weight class.

WIll I compete? Well, my plan now is to slowly get myself down to 185, which would be the lightest I’ve been since college (over 10 years ago!). I figure that would give me a realistic assessment of my options. I know that the cut off for middle weight/light heavies is 176 lbs, and body frame wise, and height wise, I always compare myself to Jim Cordova, who at his heaviest was 172 (he beat the heavyweight winner for the overal Mr. U last year). So if he’s coming in at that weight, I figure I’d need to be in comparable condition if I want to do anything other than make a fool of myself,… still, being 35 years old now, some contests consider that a ‘Masters’ competitor -lol

S

yea, like i said earlier, i dont plan on competing until i feel the time is right which realistically could be as high as 2 years.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
zraw wrote:
it all depends …

He said “natural.”

The IFBB has a “Classic Bodybuilding” designation where they cap your contest weight based on your height. Check it out.

From the IFBB website:

"Classic Bodybuilding :

It is a version of bodybuilding for those male athletes who don’t want to develop their muscles to their “extreme” full potentials but prefer lighter “classic” physique. To create the equal chances to them, the competitors’ bodyweight is limited according to their body height, following the special IFBB formula for each body height category (currently there are four categories: 170 cm; 175 cm, 180 cm and over 180cm).

Since muscle mass is limited, special attention is paid to the overall view of the physique, body proportions and lines, muscle shape and condition (density, bodyfat level, definition and details). These values are assessed by the judges during Rounds 1 and 3. In Round 2, like in bodybuilding, free posing exercises are performed to music of athlete’s choice."

[/quote]

yea, according to that id be at the top of the height limit…at just 6 feet…and id have to compete at 198 dry. im walking around near that now so id probaly have to gain 10-20 lbs of solid lean mass to make that realistic.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
zraw wrote:
it all depends …

He said “natural.”

From the IFBB website:

"Classic Bodybuilding :

[/quote]

Good link there. That is a refreshing twist on the current bloated/misproportioned style many BB’ers have now a days.

yea, according to that id be at the top of the height limit…at just 6 feet…and id have to compete at 198 dry. im walking around near that now so id probaly have to gain 10-20 lbs of solid lean mass to make that realistic. [/quote]

That’s quite possible though. I mean you look pretty decent in your profile pictures now. Get up to 210 and maybe try a cut, see what happens.

[quote]DouglasJ16 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

yea, according to that id be at the top of the height limit…at just 6 feet…and id have to compete at 198 dry. im walking around near that now so id probaly have to gain 10-20 lbs of solid lean mass to make that realistic.

That’s quite possible though. I mean you look pretty decent in your profile pictures now. Get up to 210 and maybe try a cut, see what happens.

[/quote]

I’d suggest more than that. You probably have 6 pounds of water to lose alone. That’s not counting the 20 pounds (roughly) of fat. Maybe even more than that. It’s deceiving how much fat most people have to lose, even though I see you’re already kind of lean.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
DouglasJ16 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

I’d suggest more than that. You probably have 6 pounds of water to lose alone. That’s not counting the 20 pounds (roughly) of fat. Maybe even more than that. It’s deceiving how much fat most people have to lose, even though I see you’re already kind of lean.[/quote]

Fair enough. I guess I was thinking 210 as a bare minimum. Get 210 and reassess things then, but LM makes a good point.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
DouglasJ16 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

I’d suggest more than that. You probably have 6 pounds of water to lose alone. That’s not counting the 20 pounds (roughly) of fat. Maybe even more than that. It’s deceiving how much fat most people have to lose, even though I see you’re already kind of lean.[/quote]

yea, thats why im guessing at least a need for a 10-20lb gain in LEAN LEAN dried out muscle to even compete to those Natty standards.

when you think about it though thats not so bad, ive been doing this seriously for only a year so to jump out on stage this early is extremely unlikely. ill probaly trim some fat next summer just cause and maybe the year after that ill hit the stage.

whats the general consensus on cycling (not tour de france) and competing in nat shows. like say a 12 week or something even 6mos to a year prior to comp? im usre most people who compete nat do it anyway.

LankyMofo wrote:
DouglasJ16 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

I’d suggest more than that. You probably have 6 pounds of water to lose alone. That’s not counting the 20 pounds (roughly) of fat. Maybe even more than that. It’s deceiving how much fat most people have to lose, even though I see you’re already kind of lean.

yea, thats why im guessing at least a need for a 10-20lb gain in LEAN LEAN dried out muscle to even compete to those Natty standards.

when you think about it though thats not so bad, ive been doing this seriously for only a year so to jump out on stage this early is extremely unlikely. ill probaly trim some fat next summer just cause and maybe the year after that ill hit the stage.

whats the general consensus on cycling (not tour de france) and competing in nat shows. like say a 12 week or something even 6mos to a year prior to comp? im usre most people who compete nat do it anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, natty shows just means they are tested. Some people could be using during the offseason. I wouldn’t have the first clue as to how many people are completely natural or using during the offseason, though.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
DouglasJ16 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Yeah, natty shows just means they are tested. Some people could be using during the offseason. I wouldn’t have the first clue as to how many people are completely natural or using during the offseason, though.[/quote]

Yeah man, Ron Harris juiced for over 8 years, stopped for one, and then competed and won a ‘natural’ show -lol.

S

yeah, i dont know a whole ton about gear but i glance over the steroids forum every now and then and im figuring if i did a 12 week cycle i could prob gain and keep on about 10lbs of lean mass which could put me in a position to compete in a year or so worth of time. although everything looks great on paper so to speak and putting it into action is another story.