Hedlesky's Probably Going to Kill Me Log

[quote]Consul wrote:
I tried barbell rolling my hammies today, as you recommended. The pain made me strong.[/quote]

Awesome. Just wait till thats get easy and then have to start doing “tack and stretch.” Or when you feel like you arent getting deep enough with the barbell and start stacking weights on your thigh to get more pressure. There is a whole world of pain to which you have just scratched the surface.

[quote]scottkoscielniak wrote:
You seem to crush it when you weigh more than 275, I have the feeling at 300lbs you will be fucking killing it[/quote]

Yea man. I feel fucking invincible at 280 right now.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
At the royal tyrell museum they have this scale you can step on that will tell you not only how much you weigh, but also which animal weighs the same as you

I think I was an arctic wolf or something. Maybe you would be a moose :=)[/quote]

Well, stepping on that scale was just added to my bucket list. Good thing too, I have almost done everything I wanted too and I am only 27. You just extended my life a couple years.

Side note: coolest thing I’ve done so far- drove 165 miles an hour on the autobahn in Germany. HOLY SHIT!

Sunday-9-23-12- DE Lower

Rolled stuff
Stretched stuff

Squats- a bunch with the bar and 135. Didn’t really feel like effing around with 10-12 sets of something stupid so:

Low Box, Soft Foam, Straight Bar, Belt only +175-200 in bands
135x2
225x2
315x2
405x2
495x2
585x2

Low Bar sqautting is awesome. I did all of these sets in vibrams. Which was both stupid and awesome at the same time.

Since I hate myself: dropped down to 225 and did 50 reps in one set.

Face pull- Light band x 50, 1 Arm High Band Row x 50 each arm, Bent over V-Grip Lat Pulls x 50

Spread Eagle Sit-Ups- 25lbsx20, 50lbsx2x10, 75lbsx2x6

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
I tried barbell rolling my hammies today, as you recommended. The pain made me strong.[/quote]

Awesome. Just wait till thats get easy and then have to start doing “tack and stretch.” Or when you feel like you arent getting deep enough with the barbell and start stacking weights on your thigh to get more pressure. There is a whole world of pain to which you have just scratched the surface.[/quote]

Holy mother of gawd. Where does it end?

I see you do box squats. I’ve heard quite a few people say they don’t help with building the raw squat - do you agree? I know you compete raw and equipped.

Describe this barbell rolling my hammies thing.

CS

Please can you list an example of a typical training day’s diet.

Also, what food/supplements do you take around training (peri nutrition)?

What have you found the most beneficial to increasing your DL (assistance exercises/programs/frequency, etc)?

This is an excellent log, thanks for all your help.

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Describe this barbell rolling my hammies thing.

CS[/quote]

Set up the safety pins on a rack so that they are at hip flexor level, put a barbell across the pins, put your leg on top of the barbell, and roll out your hamstrings. This is also called the ‘Quiddtich Stretch.’

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

What have you found the most beneficial to increasing your DL (assistance exercises/programs/frequency, etc)?

This is an excellent log, thanks for all your help.[/quote]

Sure.

Wake-up: Coffee, 15g whey, mct oil, heavy cream, 200-500mg of caffiene (depending on if I am training or not that morning), 5g creatine. As soon as I get up I take about 5g of fish oil and 5,000 I.U. of vitamin D. I usually have early morning clients so I will down 3-4 of those concoctions and then usually train around 10am.

I don’t eat breakfast. I usually don’t eat anything until post workout or after 2pm.

Intra-workout- 1 scoop musclepharm assault or Surge Workout Fuel mixed with 20g of hydro whey. Start drinking during my warm-up and sip the whole time.

Post workout- recently, since I am trying to look like a human shaped gorilla, my post workout is usually a scoop of Recon, 100g protein, 150g maltodextrin.

I try to get the majority of my calories in the evening/at night. I only eat maybe 2 more times after my post workout but I still get in about 350g protein a day and am shooting for at minimum 500g carbs. Nothing really mor complicated than that. Kind of a hodgepodge of a bunch of different diets (the parts of them that work anyway).

For DL: Pull every week. The only way you can do this is with speed work. That, and getting my technique (mostly the set-up and start) better has made the biggest difference. Also, make your hamstring really really really really strong.

Hope this helped.

Monday-9-24-12- Stuff

Hip opener with about 200lbs of band tension x 5 mins/leg
Hip Ext. Rot. Stretch x 5mins/leg

100 swings with a 50lb kb in 3:41. This wrecked me. I had planned on some rower intervals as well… being that I felt physical pain in my hands, glutes, erectors, and gums (yea… in my mouth) I figured this was enough stimulus for one day.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

Sure.

Wake-up: Coffee, 15g whey, mct oil, heavy cream, 200-500mg of caffiene (depending on if I am training or not that morning), 5g creatine. As soon as I get up I take about 5g of fish oil and 5,000 I.U. of vitamin D. I usually have early morning clients so I will down 3-4 of those concoctions and then usually train around 10am.

I don’t eat breakfast. I usually don’t eat anything until post workout or after 2pm.

Intra-workout- 1 scoop musclepharm assault or Surge Workout Fuel mixed with 20g of hydro whey. Start drinking during my warm-up and sip the whole time.

Post workout- recently, since I am trying to look like a human shaped gorilla, my post workout is usually a scoop of Recon, 100g protein, 150g maltodextrin.

I try to get the majority of my calories in the evening/at night. I only eat maybe 2 more times after my post workout but I still get in about 350g protein a day and am shooting for at minimum 500g carbs. Nothing really mor complicated than that. Kind of a hodgepodge of a bunch of different diets (the parts of them that work anyway).

For DL: Pull every week. The only way you can do this is with speed work. That, and getting my technique (mostly the set-up and start) better has made the biggest difference. Also, make your hamstring really really really really strong.

Hope this helped.[/quote]

Creatine in the morning with nothing to spike insulin? why there and not with one of the carb heavy meals or something?

Here, look what I found

"The Asiatic ibex is a hoofed mammal that lives on rocky slopes throughout its range, which includes the Gobi Desert.
The large males can weigh as much as 280 lbs. "

So there ya go! You’re an asiatic ibex, don’t you feel special!

Thanks.

What do you feel are the most effective hamstring exercises?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

Sure.

Creatine in the morning with nothing to spike insulin? why there and not with one of the carb heavy meals or something?[/quote]

I take it then too. I take 15-20g/day. Left that part out. Plus, leucine along with GLUT4 contraction dependant signalling both have an insulin like reponse without a rise in blood sugar. It’s like eating carbs without eating any carbs.

I take it then too. I take 15-20g/day. Left that part out. Plus, leucine along with GLUT4 contraction dependant signalling both have an insulin like reponse without a rise in blood sugar. It’s like eating carbs without eating any carbs.[/quote]

Okay, not to be too much a pain in the ass, but could you clarify this? Are you saying you take leucine and creatine together or leucine and creatine after training? Training or luecine are sufficient to process creatine?

And why so much creatine? Sounds like the old “loading phase” recommendations.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I take it then too. I take 15-20g/day. Left that part out. Plus, leucine along with GLUT4 contraction dependant signalling both have an insulin like reponse without a rise in blood sugar. It’s like eating carbs without eating any carbs.[/quote]

Okay, not to be too much a pain in the ass, but could you clarify this? Are you saying you take leucine and creatine together or leucine and creatine after training? Training or luecine are sufficient to process creatine?

And why so much creatine? Sounds like the old “loading phase” recommendations.[/quote]

Leucine+creatine+training= non-insulin mediated, contraction dependant protein transposrt signalling. For pre, intra, and post training, yes. I take creatine and leucine together. It is basically the same working mechanism of action as eating a bunch of carbs but without that blood sugar crash/coordination loss that can happen eating carbs pre-training.

There are studies that suggest mega dosing (60g/day loading phase, 15g/day maintenance) inhibit myostatin gene expression. Myostatin sends signals to your cells to stop transcribing/translating proteins. In other words, a butt load of creatine works better for getting bigger than smaller, normal doses.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Here, look what I found

"The Asiatic ibex is a hoofed mammal that lives on rocky slopes throughout its range, which includes the Gobi Desert.
The large males can weigh as much as 280 lbs. "

So there ya go! You’re an asiatic ibex, don’t you feel special![/quote]

This actually made my day. Thank you.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

Thanks.

What do you feel are the most effective hamstring exercises?[/quote]

DL variations work best. SLDL’s, RDL’s, whatever. I think they work better than a GHR.

Ah, so this is where you’re hiding out.

I liked your blog post the other day. Where did you get your information about the rate of injury for different sports athletes (with competitive weightlifters being .003 out of 100)? I want to use that stat in arguments so having the source would be useful.

[quote]scj119 wrote:
Ah, so this is where you’re hiding out.

I liked your blog post the other day. Where did you get your information about the rate of injury for different sports athletes (with competitive weightlifters being .003 out of 100)? I want to use that stat in arguments so having the source would be useful.[/quote]

It was in a study that compared injury rates of like 20 different sports. I might have it saved somewhere I will send you a link if I find it. Weightlifting was one of the lowest ones though… making everyone who says they got hurt lifting and couldnt do it anymore full of shit.