Heavythrower's Bodybuilding Log

have not posted in forever…as my injuries that forced me out of any “real” lifting has led to a total readjustment of my training philosophies and goals.

over the last few months, I have settled into a groove, and made peace with my new training needs, and actually have been able to work in a few “real” lifts with halfway respectable weight every now and then when pain levels allow.

my biggest influence on my new way to train has been dave tate and john meadows, mainly because of all the “famous” iron game people, I believe Dave Tate is the only one who is as fucked up as me injury wise, and near my age, who is making progress.

instead of outlining an entire program, i will instead just post last weeks training.

wed- back

meadows rows, worked up to 5 25lb plates and a 10, 4x8
rack pulls from knee 4x6, top set 505lbs
low cable rows 4x12
stretchers 4x12
dumbbell shrugs superset with breathing/Hise shrugs on calf raise machine 4x12 top db set 80lbs, entire stack on Hise shrugs

thursday- chest/delts

slight decline db press 4x8 top set 100lbs
incline barbell press 4x6 top set 225lbs
neutral grip chain pushups with 4 chanis on neck 3x12
machine flys super set with machine rear delts 5x12
dumbbell side laterals super set with front plate raises 3x15

friday- legs

trap bar deadlift 5 sets, top set 500x6
leg curls 5 sets, drop sets, and partials
leg extension 5 sets 15 reps straight weight
leg press 3x16 x 5 plates each side
power squat machine 4x6 top set 4 plates each side

saturday- arms

rope triceps push downs/kettle bell single arm curls 4x12
incline close grip press 4x6x185lbs/standing barbell curls 4x8x115lbs
seated dip machine 2 plates each side 3x15/db hammer curls 3x12 60lbs

sunday- off

monday- back

conventional deadlift 4x6x440lbs
hammer iso seated row 4x12x 5 plates each side
wide grip lat pull downs to top of head 12-4-2 rest pause
db shrugs 3x12 with 3 sec pause at peak contraction 70lbs

tuesday- off

today- chest

decline db press 4x12x80lbs
incline bb press 4x12x185
machine press one giant drop set with 20 rep partials as a finisher
rear delt machine 3x15
delt 6-ways with 5lb plates 2x12

thats all for now!

Big Mike, glad you are back Brother and making progress but really glad you are feeling better!

Nice work Mike. You should be the poster boy for never giving up. Good to see you again.

Very respectable weights and interesting WO. I look forward to learning from your progress.

Heavy D back in the house.

Sucks about your neck, has it effected work much?

thanks guys, ^^^Derek, ya, work has been difficult. I have has to go on “intermittent leave” due to all my absent days due to this injury.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
thanks guys, ^^^Derek, ya, work has been difficult. I have has to go on “intermittent leave” due to all my absent days due to this injury.

[/quote]

You ever do charge? Or does your charge’s pretty much have rooms themselves?

i have been asked to do charge many times, but it is not for me. i am a worker bee, not a queen be, for sho. I am better at doing rather than telling others what to do while sitting on my ass.

i have been asked to do charge many times, but it is not for me. i am a worker bee, not a queen be, for sho. I am better at doing rather than telling others what to do while sitting on my ass. [/quote]

I know Heavy but I just thought you would rather be at work then on leave at home. How long you been at that ER?

training looks great. I know I am destined to be doing something similar at some point

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

i have been asked to do charge many times, but it is not for me. i am a worker bee, not a queen be, for sho. I am better at doing rather than telling others what to do while sitting on my ass. [/quote]

I know Heavy but I just thought you would rather be at work then on leave at home. How long you been at that ER?[/quote]

6 years.

[quote]PeteS wrote:
training looks great. I know I am destined to be doing something similar at some point[/quote]

thanks!

still doing the john meadows/dave tate inspired Bodybuilding type routine, thought I would post my last weeks training, just to let my friends see how things have been going. ’

back-

meadows rows 4x12 6 25 plates
chest supported rows 3x10x 3 plates, pause at top.
stretchers 4x12
rack pulls from mid shin with chains/super set with conventional deadlifts from floor straight weight
worked up to 4 plates plus 4 chains each side(200lbs total) on the rack pulls, x 6 reps, 300lbs x 10 reps
on the deadlifts from floor.
machine pullovers 3x 15

chest-

incline seated machine press with bands 4x8
flat dumbbell press 50x15, 60x12, 70x10, 80x8, 100x4
reverse band bench press, monster mini’s,sets of 5, worked up to 5x275, then 245x6, 225x10, 205x18 strip set
bottom half dips 3xbodyweight to failure
machine flys 3x30

legs-

seated leg curls, sets of 8 reps, worked up to heavy set of 8, then did strip set finishing the last strip
with 20 partial reps
leg extensions x 15 reps/ super set with pussy leg press machine narrow foot spacing bottom 3x4 of rom x 10 reps 3 rounds
reverse band wide stance box squats, light bands, worked up to 405x5, then did strip set 405x5, 315x10,
225x20, puked.
“real” leg press machine, worked up to 4 plates with added resistance of light bands double choked x
20 reps, puked again.
one leg split squats x 30 reps. wanted to puke again but held it back.

arms-

fat grip cable pushdowns 4x12 super set with kettle bell curls 4 x 10
barbell curls 95lbs 4x8 superset with seated dip machine 4x15 with 2 plates each side
machine preacher curs 4x10 super set with seated triceps machine with short mini bands 4x12

the pump i am getting on arm day is so ridiculous that i really feel like blood vessels are bursting in my arms.

shoulders-

seated machine side raises 4x8 superset with kettle bell side delt swings x 20 reps
front dumbell raises 4x8
hammer seated shoulder press, 3 plates x 10, 2 plates x 12, 1 plate x 2
31 strip set
reverse machine fly rear delt work, 3 x 30

Nice Mike! How are you liking the volume?

HT, great you’re still out there jammin. Throwin in a pic from yesterday for old times! Unlike Colin I’m still fat but still more to love. The best to you guys!

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Nice Mike! How are you liking the volume?[/quote]

lots!!!

i have to echo what dave tate said in his article about being coached by john meadows.

doing all the insane high volume preexaustion stuff before the big lifts, (bench press, deadlifts, squats, etc.) really takes the pressure off me to push the limits of those lifts and use loads that would probably injury me more.

[quote]barryjenkins00 wrote:
HT, great you’re still out there jammin. Throwin in a pic from yesterday for old times! Unlike Colin I’m still fat but still more to love. The best to you guys![/quote]

you are only a few generations removed from your gorilla ancestors Barry!

My ancestors and I appreciate your recognition! Train hard my friend.

Mike,

How you doing? Any progress on the Neck? Sleeping better?

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Rick

neck was doing much much better, but a fat ass combative patient i had to fight with all nigh put me back where i was. just did a repeat mri…going to physical therapy 2-3 time a week starting this week.

last few days-

monday-back:

fat neutral grip pulldowns, 4x10

meadows rows pyramid up to 7 25lb plates x 8 reps

stretchers, 3x15

reverse band deadlift (light bands) 6 plates x 6, 4 plates x 23

shrugs 4x15

machine pullovers 4x12

tuesday-chest:

flat db press simple pyramid 7 x 8 with small jumps, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80,85 real DEEP stretch at bottom, and stopped an inch or so shy of full lockout at top, trying to put as much emphasis on pecs and not triceps as possible.

incline seated machine press with mini-bands added, after 4 warm ups, did 5x5 with a little more than half the stack of weight.

reverse band bench press, monster mini bands, 5x5 pyramid up to 315.

pec minor dips 3 x failure (about 12-15 reps) super set with stretch pushups to failure (about 15-20 reps)

today-legs:

lying leg curls, simple pyramid of 8 reps until near failure, at last set of 8, did a strip set, 8-10-15–20 reps, then 20 partials with last drop set. BURN!!!

reverse band wide stance high box squats( my version of high box squats would qualify for most PL out there as parallel, lol , light bands, started with 2 45 each side and did 6 rep sets, added a 25lb plate each set of 6 until i could not fit any more on each side (5 25lbs each side plus the 2 45’s) last set of 6 did strip set, taking a 25lb plate off each side until got down to the 2 45lb plates.

superset: lying machine leg press with leg extensions 3 rounds 20 reps

barbell good mornings, 4x12 x 185

did not puke today, but literally passed out after the squat strip set. was out(so they say) for about 10 seconds before I woke up in a daze.