Heavy Snatching

If I were to hit a heavy snatch in the morning, would I be able to perform a max effort bench workout in the late afternoon? I’ve never snatched before and don’t know if it works the shoulders/upper back enough to limit performance in a strength workout later.

I doubt it would have any significant effect several hours later. Especially after your body has adapted to the snatching.

I usually have an early morning snatch session. Then I go to the gym.

But no, it shouldn’t affect your benching.

Don’t do it! You will most likely tear every tendon in your shoulders just during your warmup.

[quote]gonepostal wrote:
Don’t do it! You will most likely tear every tendon in your shoulders just during your warmup. [/quote]

Yeah that’s always a possibility I guess.

Ive been practicing snatching a little bit but am still in noob mode where im swinging the weight out in front of me.

Ive watched countless videos of good lifters snatching, they all make it look very easy.
When i try, it seems complicated.

The more im at the gym the more it becomes apparent the only way to get good with something is just to do it alot, hence you inevitably become accustomed, as well as finding your own best way to do it.

[quote]Field wrote:
Ive been practicing snatching a little bit but am still in noob mode where im swinging the weight out in front of me.

Ive watched countless videos of good lifters snatching, they all make it look very easy.
When i try, it seems complicated.

The more im at the gym the more it becomes apparent the only way to get good with something is just to do it alot, hence you inevitably become accustomed, as well as finding your own best way to do it.[/quote]

I think the hardest thing about oly lifting is the flexibility required. I think it’d also be odd to get used to resting the bar on my shoulders in the rack position on the clean. Never done that before, always done the meathead variation where I hold it with my wrists, lol.

But doing full snatches/c&j to a max sounds fun.

First of all: Define “heavy”.
It’s easier to recover from snatching than from a heavy clean and jerk simp,y because the snatch is generally a lot lighter in respect to your pulls or squats.

When you’re watching those guys snatch always remember guys like Ilya Ilin started when they were 8 or 10. That means by the time he’s 17 he already has incredible experience.

For me the flexibility was the easiest bit. The hardest part is just doing everything flawlessly over and over and over again.

[quote]JT91 wrote:
First of all: Define “heavy”.
It’s easier to recover from snatching than from a heavy clean and jerk simp,y because the snatch is generally a lot lighter in respect to your pulls or squats.

When you’re watching those guys snatch always remember guys like Ilya Ilin started when they were 8 or 10. That means by the time he’s 17 he already has incredible experience.

For me the flexibility was the easiest bit. The hardest part is just doing everything flawlessly over and over and over again.[/quote]

Heavy = 3x1 at the same weight after a 6 set warmup. Nothing I’d have to strain against but I’d want to feel it. This, of course, after I feel I’ve figured out the form well enough.

I wouldn’t do a max c&j, as I already do those another day ala the conjugate system, and am not an oly lifter, I’m a strongman.