T Nation

Heavy Rows (Cheating) Opinions?

So I’m stuck with my Barbell Rows. I love this exercise and wanna keep doing them but being stuck at the same weight is forcing me to use horrible form to get an extra rep or a bit more weight… So, what ive been doing is rows over the bench. this allows me to use heavier weight since i can rest the bar on the bench for a second or so between reps.

Its just a way to really load up the weight, and i still maintain proper form since im leaning over the bench and make sure each rep the barbell touches the bench. Ive seen a few others do them this way, but just wanted to hear your opinions on this as an alternative to normal rows once in a while…

You might want to look up pendalay rows. Could be useful for you.

sweet, will do… thanks!

Could use a smith machine, or you could use DB’s (I actually do this most of the time, I find I get a better stretch and contraction) in front of a bench, so you could theorietically put them down and rest-pause a few extra reps at the end.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Could use a smith machine, or you could use DB’s (I actually do this most of the time, I find I get a better stretch and contraction) in front of a bench, so you could theorietically put them down and rest-pause a few extra reps at the end.

S
[/quote]

I second this statement and proudly sponsor it. LOL As far as increasing the weight on the bent over BB row, are you using straps? That usually meant for me either using 225 or 275. Day and Night mate.

Here’s what I do:
4-5 weeks of BB row with 2mins rest between sets (10sets total, 4sets warm up: 4 sets of 6 top weight then 2 sets of 8-12 with ~15kg less). Then increase rest to 3 mins and do 3-4 weeks with 3 sets of 5 for top weight followed by 2 sets of 6-8 (with 15-20kg less) then go back to 2 mins rest periods, hopefull using 2.5kg more than the first week of the cycle.
I’ve worked up to using ~135kg for 4 sets of 6 so far.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I second this statement and proudly sponsor it. LOL As far as increasing the weight on the bent over BB row, are you using straps? That usually meant for me either using 225 or 275. Day and Night mate. [/quote]

Yea Im usin straps, does make a huge dif. for sure with heavier weight! Also, since Ive been goin heavy I started usin a belt. not really sure if i like doin them with the belt though… cant get as good of a full rom…

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S
[/quote]

Absolutely agreed.
I get twice the results with dumbells. Though I can’t put up more weight, relatively, the results are so much better.

When you get the dumbell close to the ground, and your arm is fully extended, (in one fluid motion) swing the dumbell slightly forward to get a nice full stretch.

As a form of progression, you could try using a LITTLE bit of leg drive for say 8 reps for example (8 is arbitrary) and work on getting more and more reps without the leg drive.

Ever try changing the grip to supinated/underhand even with the straps? I don’t do it all the time but it helped me get over my plateau.

For the record I usually do DB rows for all of the reasons mentioned above.

[quote]bpeloquin wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Absolutely agreed.
I get twice the results with dumbells. Though I can’t put up more weight, relatively, the results are so much better.

When you get the dumbell close to the ground, and your arm is fully extended, (in one fluid motion) swing the dumbell slightly forward to get a nice full stretch.

[/quote]

That is a good tip for the dumbbell rows. I will try more of the dumbbell rows with the full stretch. I also have bad form on barbell rows anytime I go over 315. I will try that rest/pause on the bench next time.

When was the last time you did something besides BO rows? Try cable rows or t-bar rows.

I would switch to db rows but the dumbells in my gym only go up to 50kg (about 110 pounds), thats too light for me unless i do like 15 reps… i switched to t bar rows for a while as well… today i was checkin out some vids on youtube and was watchin coleman do barbell rows. it seems as though he stands almost upright and kinda drags the weight along his quads, and uses quite a bit of legs to help swing the weight up a bit… i tried them like that and could obviously use more weight than doing them bent over more, but i felt like it was easier on my low back that way as well…

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I second this statement and proudly sponsor it. LOL As far as increasing the weight on the bent over BB row, are you using straps? That usually meant for me either using 225 or 275. Day and Night mate. [/quote]

x3, cheating on the dumbbell rows is less detrimental for the upper (stimulation) and lower (injury risk) back. Besides, it’s not weird that you can put up to 150lbs on a dumbbell row if you put 275-295 on the barbell.

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
So I’m stuck with my Barbell Rows. I love this exercise and wanna keep doing them but being stuck at the same weight is forcing me to use horrible form to get an extra rep or a bit more weight… So, what ive been doing is rows over the bench. this allows me to use heavier weight since i can rest the bar on the bench for a second or so between reps.

Its just a way to really load up the weight, and i still maintain proper form since im leaning over the bench and make sure each rep the barbell touches the bench. Ive seen a few others do them this way, but just wanted to hear your opinions on this as an alternative to normal rows once in a while…[/quote]

Try standing on the bench while doing rows. Because of the size of the 45lb plates it limits the range of motion to get a full stretch and really activate the lats.

So standing on the bench you can let the bar down lower and get a great stretch. This works great for me and helps me really feel the muscle.

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
I would switch to db rows but the dumbells in my gym only go up to 50kg (about 110 pounds), thats too light for me unless i do like 15 reps… i switched to t bar rows for a while as well… today i was checkin out some vids on youtube and was watchin coleman do barbell rows. it seems as though he stands almost upright and kinda drags the weight along his quads, and uses quite a bit of legs to help swing the weight up a bit… i tried them like that and could obviously use more weight than doing them bent over more, but i felt like it was easier on my low back that way as well… [/quote]

It put some stress off the low back. Id rather be labeled a cheater than a cripple.