T Nation

Heavy Push vs Heavy Pull

seems i like heavy pushing more. it’s easier for me to find the muscle contraction. just my opinion though… didn’t know if anyone else has a preference.

i like pulling

I prefer pushing as well. Probably the biggest reason is that i hate most variations of the row.

Pulling here, it somehow just works better for me. That’s not to say I hate pushing though!

Actually, Id say pulling for upper body, and pushing for lower.

Pulling just works better for me.

[quote]Zund wrote:

Actually, Id say pulling for upper body, and pushing for lower.[/quote]

I’m the same way, I enjoy both aspects of lifting tho. lol

I’m just pissed cause I did heavy bench and it was awesome. I also did antagonist rows. Chest sore… Back not. Boo =\ I’ll get it next time in though.

[quote]Bona wrote:
I prefer pushing as well. Probably the biggest reason is that i hate most variations of the row.[/quote]

Pulling, funny I love rowing variations - they do wonders for my back.

deadlifts, rowing, chins, pulldowns

ya i like pulling more

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Zund wrote:

Actually, Id say pulling for upper body, and pushing for lower.

I’m the same way, I enjoy both aspects of lifting tho. lol[/quote]

me too gerdy. Don’t get me wrong, I like both just seems I am able to hit an intensity with pushing moreso than pulling. Hmm think I should incorporate a little pre fatigue in my routine.

I can never get DOMS in my back. My favorites are cable rows, and repetition db rows.

anyone T-Bar row?

[quote]AlterEgo721 wrote:
anyone T-Bar row? [/quote]

I do, definitely one of my favourite - up to 5.5plates for 5 reps now.

On a long back day I’ll do these, cable rows, CG lat pulldowns & horizontal machine rows with varied grip.

Pulling is my preference.

I’ve always been much stronger on pushing and therefore felt it more. When I started to correct this by doing lots more pulling, I started to ‘feel’ the back muscles more and more.

I can’t pull for shit when it comes to upper body, and I can’t push much comparably when it comes to lower body. My bench and dl are my best lifts, and squat and row are probably my worst.

Right now I prefer pulling, but when I first started out, I preferred pushing.

One thing I’ve noticed is that my preference changes depending on what I currently making the most progress on.