Heavy Metal + Training

The Japanese band hahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Fucking sodom \m/ I’ve got M-16 and Agent Orange at home, they’re fucking amazing for having 3 people and being relatively unknown. You ever listen to Bathory? All I listen to is bathory, lotr soundtrack or skyrim soundtrack when I do cardio in the winter. Just about as Viking as it gets

WHAT…heavy metal and lifting weights? That is so weird and unique. Pantera, Slayer , and all other kinds of cookie monster music? I do not think I have ever heard of such a thing. WAIT, do you think people in powerlifting also listen to this kind of music?

??? We don’t listen to metal because of it’s uniqueness, we listen to metal because it’s our favorite music genre, I listen to metal whether I’m lifting, driving, resting, walking, doing work you name it. Take my earphones out and 90% of the time I’ll have metal on, the other 10 percent it’s hardcore punk, metalcore or post-hardcore, 0.1 percent of the time it’s hard rock or classic rock.

@witchfindergeneral Nah I don’t listen to bathory, I’ve listened to it before though, nothing against bathory just haven’t listened to it much, I’ll give it a shot. What I don’t understand is the hate towards core music, specifically metalcore and deathcore. While I VASTLY prefer thrash and mellowdeath to the core genres, some metalcore isn’t half bad. Check these out

Personally, I really like this band, while she sleeps and cattle decapitation are the two bands that turned me from some guy who listens to metal to complete metalhead. I get that metalcore strays from the classic metal style and incoorperates elements of hardcore punk/pop sometimes however it doesn’t mean all metalcore is shit, and many have the attitude that if it’s core, it fucking sucks, which simply isn’t true. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of shitty core bands out there, typically the ones that sell out and go full mainstream, however there’s also some decent metalcore (what’s your opinion on this)

As to deathcore, check this out

Not sure if this is deathcore of technical death metal but either way it’s really good

Then this

It’s great

However my favorite songs are probably from toxic holocaust, shame about the band name tho

2 Likes

It’s insanely hard to pick a favourite Maiden album, let alone song, but Seventh Son/Infinite Dreams are pretty solid contenders for me.

I really like Brave New World/Dance of Death since I got into Maiden circa 2002 with Rock in Rio. I think I got pretty lucky with that timing since those albums were a real renaissance for the band after Adrian and Bruce returned.

2 Likes

I listen to a ton of stuff, not all of it “heavy metal”, and certainly not all of it hard or heavy (I draw a lot, and listen to very different stuff when I’m trying to be creative -lol). These are most of my mainstays when I’m training though:

Maiden
Priest
Sabbath and some old Ozzy solo stuff
Godsmack (just saw them last night actually)
Distrubed
Ratt
Avenged Sevenfold
Five Finger Death Punch (seeing them this Thursday night)
Seven Dust
Megadeth

S

1 Like

@The_Mighty_Stu if you like sabbath and other types of classic metal check out the following

• Deep purple
  • Motley Crue
  • ghost (they’re new, however some of their stuff has that black sabbathy throwback vibe, they sing a lot about satan though, it’s tongue in cheek, not mean’t to be taken seriously however if that offends you as it does some then don’t listen to them)
  • Rush

• Guns n roses

These songs aren’t particularly heavy, however they’re still classified under the broad genre of metal and they’re very good songs. If you want something a bit heavier but don’t like typical extreme metal try the band

• While She Sleeps (the new album)

Also @witchfindergeneral yea I have listened to bathory, I gave it another listen today, they’re quite good, I don’t know how I somehow skipped over them, do you prefer the viking metal albums or their early black metal stuff? Listen to old bathory and new bathory, they sound like totally different bands, they’re both sick though!

2 Likes

Ghost is about one of the handful of newer bands that I will listen to regularly. I was a pretty big fan of mastodons first couple of albums but their live performance wasn’t that great and their past couple of albums haven’t done anything for me. I was really into metalcore when I was in high school, I’ll try to give it another go. As for bathory, I love their entire discography but my personal favorite album has got to be Nordland. It’s the most epic intro. Have you ever listened to a band called Therion? Look up the song ‘To Mega Therion’. Therion uniquely started out as a more black or death metal group but turned into a symphonic metal band, they’ve got some really cool stuff

Saw something about listening to music in the winter, figure I’d pitch in:

Wolfheart (the lead Tuomas is super talented, wrights and records all the instruments and heavy vocals in all his bands) very frozen-nordic-tundra vibe

Borknagar, specifically the track “frostrite”, I get chills listening to this. Incredible song, cant speak much for their other tracks though.

Good idea, but a lot of modern core isn’t very good, a few good metalcore and/or deathcore bands are

• While she sleeps (my personal favorite core band)
  • Make them suffer (either deathcore of symphonic death metal, not sure, seems to be classified as both, so this may not count)
  • The red shore (although they also might be technical death metal instead of core, esp the last album)
  • As I lay dying
  • Betzefer (may be groove metal, not metalcore)
  • Heaven shall burn (either metalcore, deathcore or melodic death metal)
  • Hatebreed

I haven’t heart Therion, I’ll check it out now

You listen to Amon Amarth?

1 Like

I forgot in my post above, Belakor and Wintersun! Both bloody awesome!.

1 Like

Amon Amarth is great, Death in Fire is one of my favorite songs to listen to when I try to max out

1 Like

I only just discovered them and I’ve been listening non-stop now. Twilight of the Thunder God is an absolute belter of a song.

I like in flames, as I like dying, from autumn to ashes, evergreen terrace and old punk rock. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bad religion?

Early or new, old in flames was melodic death metal, Mid in flames was melodic death/ alternative metal New in flames is a pile of shit

Check out at the gates

I’ve been listening to metal since eight years old and I’m 39 now. I’ve been through nearly all the sub genres. Over the past two years my listening time for metal had gone way down and my taste for other, more sedate music has increased. However, the following bands have stuck:

Death
Morbid Angel
Suicidal Tendencies
Entombed
Black Sabbath
Slayer
Pantera
Destroyer 666
Iron Maiden

I’ll never forget that night I saw the video for Sweet Child O’ Mine on MTV. I think it was '87 or '88. A childhood friend and I were bat shit crazy over GNR.

My progression in metal listening went from hair bands and GNR to A little harder and complex, like Megadeth, Anthrax, and Iron Maiden, and then onto Slayer and other darker thrash bands to death metal and then to SOME black metal.

It recently dawned on me how much my interest in metal has waned. I now listen to new wave and rock bands from the past, like The Smiths, The Cure, Blue Oyster Cult, Journey, Depeche Mode, Berlin, Laura Brannigan, and some others.

What drew you posters to metal and punk?

I grew up listening to classic rock while my dad carted me around from hockey rink to hockey rink (I played and reffed a lot in my pre-teen and teen years). So I was introduced to all the staples like Zeppelin and Van Halen and Sabbath. My dad would pepper in some Rainbow and Deep Purple b/c he really enjoyed Blackmore (and so do I).

However, growing up in the mid to late 90’s I listened to more contemporary rock like Soundgarden and Linkin Park and the Chili Peppers along with a lot of rap as a product of the friends I had and the popular stuff in school. I kind of got into softer stuff like Dave Matthews Band and jack Johnson when I was in the Air Force after high school as a product of the girl(s) I dated (primarly one long term relationship peppered in there with some random dating).

I’d say my real transition away from more “popular” rock began in the early 2000’s when I discovered stoner rock a la QOTSA’s Songs for the Deaf - I read about them in fucking Maxim of all places and picked up the album. It was a game changer really.

I had some friends from there who were into bands like Tool and I had picked up Iron Maiden’s (having been aware of their hits like Run To The Hills, NKOTB, etc) Dance of Death as it had just been released but it didn’t have as many straight rock songs on it … a lot of longer, more progressive stuff so I only gave it a half-hearted listen and stuck with more straight rock like Queens and The Strokes and the Foo Fighters (around the time One By One was released - I fucking loved that album … still do).

So, I kind of stuck with that genre for about the next 10 years of so then I started getting into more metal via Iron Maiden. I had moved back home and my dad got tickets to Iron Maiden (I want to say it was 2013 or 2014). Again i had Dance of Death but I started diving into their other, older stuff going back to the Di’Anno days up to their more recent stuff and fuck me was I blown away.

I think what really pulled me into it was how complex their arrangements were. I really appreciated how they built their songs and the way they deployed their crafts. All great musicians and performers. Anyway, around that time my musical tastes kind of expanded and I had some Miles Davis/Thelonious Monk albums I’d listen to, a bunch of classical symphonies and quartet pieces I’d listen to and I think I really just appreciated the complexity and beauty in the music. I see/saw that in a lot of the metal that I was starting to listen to - I started to get into bands like Opeth and Dream Theater and, presently, am really enjoying exploring the different genres of metal - well mostly enjoying, some of it isn’t quite my cup o’ tea as of yet.

Can’t really say I’m into punk all that much. in high school we’d listen to bands like Ignite and Gorilla Biscuits and Black Flag but it never really stuck with me.

1 Like

Good post! Thank you for sharing that.

I’m not surprised you didn’t stick with Gorilla Biscuits. Neither did I. When I first heard them, I was very young, perhaps thirteen or fourteen years old, so the sound of cluttered, unsophisticated, low-skill music and lyrics and incessant bitching and moaning resonated with me a bit… Much of those genres, especially New York Hardcore, is centered around whining and tough guy drivel. Being from NY some of it has stuck with me, and not too long ago, I considered going to the yearly Black and Blue Bowl (an NYHC superbowl, if you will). I even bought a ticket to the last one but my family belatedly arranged a birthday party for my grandmother, which is obviously more important. My family actually said, “Oh, you bought the ticket? Then go; it’s no big deal. We planned this after you bought it.” The thought of being 39 and attending a show with a bunch of whining, jerky, sweaty and smelly people quickly turned me off and I spent the day with my family. Lol.