Heavy Metal Thread

In the more traditional metal I like Slayer, Behemoth, Misery Index.

I’m more into the hardcore side of things though like Red Chord, Black Dhalia, Dillinger etc. Isis is pretty cool too.

I’m into Opeth, Angra, Dream Theater, Machinae Supremacy, Shaman, Symphony X, etc. in addition to some of the more traditional heavy metal bands, like Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen’s Rising Force.

…aahh, the good ol’ days with: D.R.I., Pestilence, Death, Kreator, Vengeance Rising, MetalChurch, Wargasm, Obituary, Entombed and many, many more…

…hey, what you know, Entombed- Left hand path: - YouTube

Anybody ever hear of a band named “Blade”? they have a killer heavy sound.

I saw them in concert in Tallahassee FL a few years ago, they opened for Disturbed.

I don’t know if they’re still around or not. But I can never find any cd’s of theirs or any songs on Limewire.

…one of my all time favorites: Death- Let to die: - YouTube

“only for the weak” by In Flames is a great lifting song.

…'89 was a hell of a year for metal, D.R.I- beneath the wheel: - YouTube

Crank this song up to get the adrenal glands fired up.

go heavy, you’re one of the few people I know who’s so enthusiastic about “real” metal, and also likes "nu-"metal like Korn. :slight_smile:

Not that it’s a bad thing. I personally hate nu-metal, but I’m not an elitist.

I went through a huge metal phase about two years ago, I got me many a CD, and read a fuckload about it. I don’t listen to metal much anymore, except for the occasional Metallica, and a lot of Opeth. Opeth is one of my favorite bands ever, and remains a big favorite despite not liking much metal anymore because their music, whether heavy or not, is so godamn melodic and beautiful, all of it.

It’s the same reason I still listen to Metallica. Most melodic death/doom metal is just too lethargic and dreary, although, as the genre implies, is melodic, but Opeth do it perfectly.

They’re the perfect blend of death, doom, progressive, and old school heavy metal, with Mikael’s AMAZING voice. He is hands down the most versatile metal singer, whose normal singing voice rivals that of many non-metal singers, and whose growl is one of the best in all of metal.

Fucking A, I love Opeth!

[quote]danmaftei wrote:

Fucking A, I love Opeth![/quote]

Tell me “Ghost of Perdition” doesn’t kick ass. I’ve really gotten into their newest album lately, and I love to blast that song before I go lift. I’m not really into death metal, but they pull it off so well.

I really like old Metallica(agree especially on “Disposable Heroes”) Other favorites are Mercyful Fate, Megadeth(“Symphony of Destruction” is great), Slayer and Cannibal Corpse. Motorhead is my favorite, not so metal but I always have to bring them up.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…aahh, the good ol’ days with: D.R.I., Pestilence, Death, Kreator, Vengeance Rising, MetalChurch, Wargasm, Obituary, Entombed and many, many more…[/quote]

[i]These are the true metal classics!

But don’t forget about the Maiden man!

At the risk of showing my age:

Where the hell is Black Sabath???

I love me some metal, without it I would be lost in the world of false music.

But anyways those are all great bands that were mentioned. Here is a new song from the death metal band Vader off of their new release “Impressions in Blood”, which I also highly reccomend picking up.

I just got back from seeing Opeth in concert. Fucking amazing. They sound live exactly like they do in their albums. Megadeth was cool, Lamb of God was the craziest shit ever. Arch Enemy wasnt bad either, but they were having a few sound difficulties.

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
go heavy, you’re one of the few people I know who’s so enthusiastic about “real” metal, and also likes "nu-"metal like Korn. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
I like Heavy Metal and also listen to stuff like Korn, Slipknot or Linkin Park from time to time.

As people often like completely different genres, I don’t find it that surprising that one could do the same with “nu-metal” and “heavy metal”. Moreover, I don’t quite get this whole genre debate and personally, if I don’t like a band or style of music, I couldn’t care less what it’s called or which genre it’s associated with, even if it contains the word “metal” like in “nu” or “heavy” metal.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
danmaftei wrote:

I like Heavy Metal and also listen to stuff like Korn, Slipknot or Linkin Park from time to time.

As people often like completely different genres, I don’t find it that surprising that one could do the same with “nu-metal” and “heavy metal”. Moreover, I don’t quite get this whole genre debate and personally, if I don’t like a band or style of music, I couldn’t care less what it’s called or which genre it’s associated with, even if it contains the word “metal” like in “nu” or “heavy” metal.[/quote]

I pretty much feel the same way mike. I consider myself an intense person and I just like music that goes off, when the music goes off then I go off. I could care less what it is or what its called. I just like it loud and the walls shaking. I could crank up some old scholl Metallica or some Ozzy and get all amped up or I could just crank this song… - YouTube this song gets me fired up everytime like I wanna just break stuff. I take it out on the weights.

I would say most of us weight lifters are agressive to begin with and we listen to alot of aggressive music. KoRn for example just goes off… I love the tuned down guitars. Alot of times I’ll play for about an hour before i lift just to get myself wired and out of control… I have better lifts. I have an E.C. Strat and a Marshall stack. I consider those my steroids. I can’t even lift anymore without my subs cranked up.

One last thing. This heavy metal fires me up every time… it never fails. I just love to throw around heavy weight like the shits in my way and it better get the fuck out of it. I end up screaming like a madman in my home gym. I love it. There is nothing I would rather do than to be in that high octane zone… not even sex, and I’m a horny mother fucker.

There’s nothing like music… keeps my pumped and amped through the dreary days of life.

Rock n’ Roll!!! will never die…

Disturbed, korn, godsmack, rob zombie, and i know i am going to cop it for this, but marilyn mansons anti-christ superstar. I don’t have a problem with music as a purely stage show tongue in cheek thing.

I will listen to pretty much anything though…

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
ephrem wrote:
…aahh, the good ol’ days with: D.R.I., Pestilence, Death, Kreator, Vengeance Rising, MetalChurch, Wargasm, Obituary, Entombed and many, many more…

[i]These are the true metal classics!

But don’t forget about the Maiden man![/quote]

…they’re right up there with the obvious four: Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer, but i’ve tried to remember them all, see if you recognize these:

Anthrax, Napalm Death, Nuclear Assault, Sacred Reich, Queensryche, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Annihilator, Biohazard, Leeway, Harter Attack, DeathAngel, Morbid Angel, S.O.D. and some obscure ones: Thanatos, Gorefest, NnembrionicHammerdeath+Osdorp Posse, Body Count, Belgian Asociality, Tankard…

…can’t remember any more, but feel free to add (-: