T Nation

Heavy Metal Poisoning

Hi,about eight month ago i got a heavy metal test done and it showed very high levels of thallium and moderate levels of Mercury.

I have been taking modified citrus pectin on and off for the last 6 months. Could only take small amounts(5 or 10grms) because it made me feel like shit and give me diarrhea.

I have just taken another test and my mercury has gone up eight times! my thallium has gone down by a third however.

I was wondering if any one could help me with the best way to remove them.

Is DMSA worth taking? or should i just keep taking modified citrus pectin

thanks for you help

[quote]agentfestaskull wrote:
Hi,about eight month ago i got a heavy metal test done and it showed very high levels of thallium and moderate levels of Mercury.

I have been taking modified citrus pectin on and off for the last 6 months. Could only take small amounts(5 or 10grms) because it made me feel like shit and give me diarrhea.

I have just taken another test and my mercury has gone up eight times! my thallium has gone down by a third however.

I was wondering if any one could help me with the best way to remove them.

Is DMSA worth taking? or should i just keep taking modified citrus pectin

thanks for you help[/quote]

This might be out there in left field, but what does your doctor recommend?

Also, have you identified the source of the dramatic increase in mercury?

[EDIT: And one more thing, was this a home test kit? If so, ever think about have a real test done?]

I didn’t know you could get rid of mercury. I thought once it’s in you that’s it.

What kind of test did you take?

Although it’s controversial, one source of your mercury MIGHT be dental fillings. You have to go to a special dentist to have the filling removed and it is expensive from what I understand.

Of course, if you dont have mercury fillings, it’s not an issue. Mind you, most dentists (not all) are going to tell you that it’s a waste of time. It’s a minority opinion that removing mercury amalgams will rid you of your problem, but the minority is sometimes right.

The other source, of course, might be fish.

In any case, here is a link to a website devoted to mercury detox.

http://www.dmpsbackfire.com/detox/default.shtml

I’m not qualified to treat or diagnose anything, of course. But if memory serves Vit. C has some ability to flush out those metals if taken in regular large doses.

Double check this, but I think it’s correct.

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:
I didn’t know you could get rid of mercury. I thought once it’s in you that’s it.

What kind of test did you take?[/quote]

Actually the body does eliminate heavy metals from the body, just at a painfully slow rate. This is why metals build up until the source is found and eliminated from intake.

You might try a combination of cilantro, alpha lipoic acid, and vitamin c to get rid of the mercury.

There was a study (can’t remember the name) that showed fresh cilantro taken daily reduced heavy metal poisoining, especially from mercury. I no someone who has tried this, they would mix up half a cup of fresh cilantro with some homade lemonade in the blender. He said it tasted really good.

The alpha lipoic acid is supposed to protect your body during the heavy metal detox, and the vitamin c protects and acts as a mild chelating agent.

i recall an article on here mentioning tea (black in particular) being able to help with Hg detox/removal.

Heavy metal detoxification is best/better managed by a health care professional that specializes in it. If you mobilize heavy metals that are stored, say in the fat cells of your body, those heavy metals can end up doing a lot of damage before being excreted or possibly reabsorbed. Heavy metals need to be bound to something else as part of being removed from the body.

How many cans of tuna are you eating per week, agentfestaskull?

have you looked into chelation products…do a google and find a good one - detoxamin

i saw a doctor for the first time since school last year and asked about a heavy metal test just for a baseline since it was my first real physical exam and was he was just like blah blah you don’t need it and we don’t like to test unless there’s been an exposure. talk about double speak ! how the f do you know if there’s been exposure unless you test !?

how do i get these tests done ?

[quote]swivel wrote:

how do i get these tests done ?

[/quote]

You can get a home test. Funny thing is, they are marketed on the same sites that sell modified citrus pectin…hmmm. I wonder about the reliability of these home tests.

If you think that there is a source of lead in your life, get a real blood test. Sources can be a home built before 1978, hobbies, or certain occupations (plumber or painter).

swivel, why don’t you start here … http://www.abcmt.org