Heavy Losses on Bailout?

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Vegita wrote:
koffea wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
This “bailout” basically ensured that none of my money will (ever) go to Chrysler or GM.

with people so angry over the bailout and the cash for clunkers program and essentially voting with their moolah, its interesting how this has actually turned into subsidization program for foreign automakers.

Arent Most hondas and toyotas made like 75% in the US now?

V

Parts made overseas and put together in the US primarily in the south without AWU.

Toyota or Honda are good choices, Nissan was bought by a french company and cars after 2006 are seeing more issues.

Subaru is a also very good but no trucks, and they have a plant down south.

Ford has been doing a very good job at improving their vehicles as of 2007-08 with there new plant in south america again minus the union. They also recruited some engineers from toyota.

I am looking at getting a honda ridgeline or honda pilot with third row seating. Bot only will honda, toyota or subaru last you, they will hold their resale value unlike almost any other car company. (in those I am including lexus and acura since they the high end lines)

I have a nissan now too, but the customer service has gone down since they were bought out.

My best friend is really big in cars, his grand father owns a BMW, a volvo , a Mercedes, a Lexus and a saturn dealership in multiple states. He would recommend to us never buy a saturn. He drives a subaru and a BMW. And his father has a toyota and a honda dealership.

just my 2 cents though.

[/quote]

This is good to know about Nissan, thanks. I’ll make sure to research any issues on those model years if I find something.

The bottom line is that Japan simply makes better vehicles. As Maximus said, you can’t kill them.

The US auto industry, thanks to UAW overhead and a sub-par business model has fallen far and hard. When every cent of the bailout is paid back, I’ll consider buying a GM or Chrysler. Sure, it’s one vehicle so who gives a shit, but I’ll get some satisfaction with a superior product.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Vegita wrote:
Isn’t Saturn American made? They also get great gas mileage, and have good overall customer satisfaction scores. I currently drive an Ion and have an older SL1 for use as a winter rat. I’m pretty sure they were not bailed out.

V

Saturn is a GM brand, like Chevrolet, Buick, etc. They will be phased out like previous GM brands (Oldsmobile, Pontiac), I believe in '12.[/quote]

Just some general info for those that care.
Saturn was bought by Penske, though I am sure the whole deal has not completed as of yet.
As far as full sized trucks go, Ford in the later models would be your best bet.
Toyota full size trucks are near worthless. Google Toyota Tundra frame problems. Horrible “C” frame design that allows dirt, water, and corrosives to set in a channel and rust the frame out. Some will say this is an old problem. It is still an issue. Poor frame strength overall and horrible gas mileage.
Nissan Titan is not much better. Poor resale and not worth a dam as a true truck. If you want a play toy for the city, no big deal. Go ahead with it.
Actually, if anyone is looking for a mid priced sedan, the Ford Fusion has higher rating (Consumer Reports) than Accord, Camry or Altima. Really is a nice car. Definitely the best transmission of the group (unfortunately, made in Japan.)

I have run dealerships for the last sixteen years. I have seen them all. Don’t have a dog in the fight, just giving an honest, well informed opinion.
For what it’s worth…