T Nation

Heavy/Light Training

Hi guys,

Well I start a new template and was always a big fan of HLM.
I had a training break for 3 months and want to start a heavy/light template.

The heavy day is thought for continous stength and sarcomer hypertrophy gains and and the light day for more sarcoplasmatic hypertrophy.

1 will train 2x the week, whole body:

A day Heavy 3x6 full rest

Squat/deadlift
Bench Press
Row
Shoulder Press
Chin up

B light day: 3x12 2min rest
Squat/romanian deadlift
Bench Press
Row
Shoulder PRess
Chin up
Curls
Nosebreaker

I will start with 75% of my 3x6 max and 75% of my 3x12 max for the corresponding exercise and build up from there.
After 5 weeks I will reach for Prs and then when stalling reset and build up again.
I like this layout, because the heavy day gives a deload from the volume and the light day a deload from the heavy weight.

Cents?

2 days is not very optimal to take advantage of new gains from a layoff…then again you had a three month break so im not surprised you only want to train two days.

No offense, but this kind of sucks. If you’re going to do a full body split, you should at least train 3 days per week and vary your exercises. If you have more than just 2 days to dedicate to the gym, you’d be better off adding at least day or two so that you can increase the volume.

Only two days a week ?

Hi guys,

thank you for the replies.
Well I am more inspired by BRAWN stuart mc robert and John Christys (RIP) work.

During my time on university I also trained only 2x the week with a HLM rotation and it worked pretty well regardless if i used different exercises or not. Important was the rep rotation.
There is also the mantra of hitting a muscle 2x the week which would fit with this plan.

Only the volume on legs is a bit low,perhaps I will get a third session in for them but I think for the upper body the volume is ok. ITs nevertheless 102 reps for push and pull the week.

Look into WS4SB similar, but better laid out

Dan john did an article on 2 days a week.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Look into WS4SB similar, but better laid out[/quote]

Thanks Rampant.
Why do you prefer the other layout more?

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Dan john did an article on 2 days a week. [/quote]

I will look at it, thanky you.

[quote]science wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Look into WS4SB similar, but better laid out[/quote]

Thanks Rampant.
Why do you prefer the other layout more? [/quote]

Its a proven program, and by following how Defranco rotates the main lifts on max effort day you can also get much, much stronger while avoiding burnout/ stalling.

[quote]science wrote:
Hi guys,

thank you for the replies.
Well I am more inspired by BRAWN stuart mc robert and John Christys (RIP) work.

During my time on university I also trained only 2x the week with a HLM rotation and it worked pretty well regardless if i used different exercises or not. Important was the rep rotation.
There is also the mantra of hitting a muscle 2x the week which would fit with this plan.

Only the volume on legs is a bit low,perhaps I will get a third session in for them but I think for the upper body the volume is ok. ITs nevertheless 102 reps for push and pull the week. [/quote]

It might be inspired by Brawn, but it is not even close to what they where talking about. I’m actually with badger on this one. Learn the concept before venturing on your own. Doing WS4SB for a year should teach you something.

ok thank you guys