Heavy Lifting Is Scary

Wash the sand out of your vagina

Heavy barbell bench with no spotter sucks.

But theres a reason for that, it could easily kill you if the shit goes down.

hold more than your max in a locked out position, i never tried it but alot of people say it builds your confidence on using big weights.

I get a little nervous before heavy squats and deadlifts…not because I’m really scared of getting stuck, but more because I know I’m about to do something hard.

I think everyone gets that feeling. But once you get past it you feel your balls get bigger.

I think everyone gets that feeling. But once you get past it you feel your balls get bigger.

Confidence or lack thereof can make or break you. I hope you can develop some, though it might take time.

Are you squatting alone? Are you lifting alone in general? If so, a power rack is ESSENTIAL.

Also, find a hardcore gym nearby somewhere. Powerliftingwatch.com has some listed by state.

Then find someone to train with who you can trust to spot you.

I used to be afraid of heavy lifting. Now I psyche myself up every time before I leave for the gym, I go there for war. I am determined to put the weight up. I leave the gym every workout feeling like I had a great workout

You have to push past the “fear”. Every time before I attempt a squat PR, I just think to myself that I will pass out and go down with the weight, so it doesn’t matter what happens after that(that’s why I squat in a cage). But then again, once you have jumped out of airplanes and had a-holes shoot at you you know what real fear is. Don’t ever let some fool tell you that being scared is stupid, it’s natural. What you have to do is push past the fear and do it anyway.

This is what I want to do every time I hit a PR: Dude headbutts bench press weight and passes out - YouTube

I like being “afraid.” Gives me that added adrenaline I need. I get far too calm about maxing now. I think you need to be on edge, but not a wimp, bottom line.

I’ll give you a tip. This is what I think when I attempt a set, “I don’t have a choice in the matter, I must do this.” When you feel there’s no option, you’re forced to push past all your inadequacies and do something great.

Its all psychological and if you can’t get a set, then work on it next time or next cycle. Missing a lift happens. We’ve all done it.

Btw, I lift entirely without spotters. I just know no one who is dedicated enough or strong enough at this point. All my local friends are weak, period, so I can’t rely on them. While its not smart to lift without spotters it must be done in my case. While its not the best thing to do, I’m also not stupid and I bench and squat in a power cage. I’ve never missed a bench or squat that has pinned me to the floor. Power cages and experience are a man’s best friend.

Why would you get scared on a deadlift? If you miss, drop it.

Now, I’ve gotten pretty nervous with some big squats, but moreso when I’m spotting them. I know if I fuck up a spot on a 7 or 800lb squat someone can get really hurt. I tend not to think about it too much when I’m the one lifting, I just trust my spotters.

[quote] Matt wrote:
Why would you get scared on a deadlift? If you miss, drop it.

Now, I’ve gotten pretty nervous with some big squats, but moreso when I’m spotting them. I know if I fuck up a spot on a 7 or 800lb squat someone can get really hurt. I tend not to think about it too much when I’m the one lifting, I just trust my spotters.[/quote]

Serious +1

when you’re under the bar you can’t tihnk about what the spotters are doing… but spotting big squats when you’re not under the bar is scary!!

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=53824&tid=126

“I have done is to take “do or die” bench attempts (literally). This was when I was in college and I would climb through windows or pry open doors to sneak into the building the housed our weight club to train in the middle of the night because of the hours I was working. Our gym was a total dungeon and was in the basement of the oldest building on campus and the members of the gym were the only ones that had keys to the big metal door that opened into the weight room area. So if something did happen to you it would be at least a day or so before anyone found you when they came in to train. Anyway, I tried PR benches a handful of times with no spotters and before lying down I would think to myself “I get the weight or it gets me.” Fortunately I never missed any of those attempts but there were some real slow grinders.”