Heavy Duty Acne Control

I’m having a big problem with pimples. My face was clear through my cycle. But I started breaking out once I hit the stasis. I’m tapering down now and it’s getting worse every day.

It’s been so long since I had pimples that I don’t even remember how long they take to clear up. Each of these buggers are taking like 2-3 freaken weeks. They’re like pimple on roids or something…lol

Doesn’t seem like Clearasil does much to them. Is there some kind of heavy-duty OTC stuff that works good? I’m only breaking out on my face so this crap has to go!

Cleansing pads, saunas, change your pillow cases EVERY night, 2-3 showers a day… Pris wrote something good on it. I think it may be on his profile? I forgot where I saw it.

Showering multiple times a day is a bad idea because it is really hard on your skin to constantly strip it of nutrients and oil. This just further irritates the the inflamed pours. The non-alcohol cleansing pads, saunas and changing your pillow case can work wonders though. If you are going/need to wash your face a bunch buy a quality face moisturizer.

You could also go to your local pharmacy and see what the pharmacist recommends. They usually keep quite a host of acne creams/soaps behind the counter that you can ask for.

a dermatologist might recommend something along the lines of

benzacycline topical gel for the morning
retina-a micro topical gel evenings

and maybe doxycycline capsules …!!I could be worng about that one!!

google the doxy

Yeah I get pimples sometimes too (no roids tho) and they suck ass. They completely kill my self-esteem. Don’t pop them unless they are mature, otherwise you will do more harm than good. When you pop them, prick the top with a needle first. Best of luck to you.

PS - The nutragena acne BAR SOAP is what I have been washing my face with and ive found it superior to the other face soaps.

[quote]elano wrote:
Yeah I get pimples sometimes too (no roids tho) and they suck ass. They completely kill my self-esteem. Don’t pop them unless they are mature, otherwise you will do more harm than good. When you pop them, prick the top with a needle first. Best of luck to you.

PS - The nutragena acne BAR SOAP is what I have been washing my face with and ive found it superior to the other face soaps.[/quote]

You should get a blackhead/whitehead remover. They’re in the beauty aisle in the drugstore and are only a few bucks.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll give some of those things a try. I don’t think I need to shower more as it’s not on my body. I’ll wash my face 2-3 times a day with the Nutragena bar soap and see how that works. As for moisturizer, wouldn’t that be defeating everything in a sense because you’re hydrating the crap back up?

I’ll save the dermatologist in case all else fails. I agree, this is a big kick to the self esteem. You think everyone’s staring at you when you got the little dipper constellation on your right cheek.

Do those whitehead removers really work? Or is the razor blade just as effective??

I’d go with the remover. It doesn’t actually press on (or slash!) the pimple, so there’s far less irritation/inflammation and things heal up very quickly.

Okay, thanks for that. I’ll give it a shot. I woke up with a whitey this morning. I’d rather have 5 regular pimples to 1 white. I was almost ready to suck it out with a slin pin. If that aint t-man, I don’t know what is. LOL

its only bad when your girl tells ya shes gonna get a 4 inch paint brush to do connect the dots…cause a pen would take hours!

LOL. That’s one way to look at it. It could always be worse…

Check out this answer by Bill Roberts:

"A non-oily moisturizer can help.

My opinion is contrary to many on whether oils in moisturizers should absolutely be avoided or not. Many oils such as mineral oil, and oily materials such as isopropyl palmitate or myristate, indeed should be avoided. But for example one of the best anti-acne products IMO is dermaE brand Clear Skin 3 moisturizer, which contains tea tree oil, rosewood oil, and caprylic triglyceride (an MCT oil) among other ingredients. There are oils that are helpful.

Diet is also important. Increased consumption of olive and non-hydrogenated coconut oils and decreased consumption of long-chain saturated fats (which means pretty much any saturated fat except coconut oil) seems to help a lot.

Many say that sugar worsens acne. I don’t see any evidence that glucose in pre and post workout drinks promotes acne, nor does say having an apple for a snack promote acne, but sugar consumption throughout the day indeed probably does.

Lastly, while alone it’s not the fix, and some say that long-term it worsens the problem (I don’t think that’s at all remotely the case if other needed changes are put into place) sun exposure seems to help. Not so much as to get any sunburn, but an amount reasonable for the individual case."

Hey man,

Try using Dove unscented soap.

All of those extra chemicals in Neutrogena can be harsh on your face if you’re not used to using face cleaners. I know when I shower at a friend’s place and use their face cleaners, I break out. They can actually make it worse. (This is all from my dermatologist by the way)

Just get a somewhat coarse wash rag and, in the shower, wet it down and wipe the bar soap all over it til it gets lathery then SCRUB your face. This will exfoliate while cleansing.

Have any of you tried topical DHT inhibitors (eg Nizoral)?

I’ve seen a lot of people use them with success online. Anthony Roberts recommended it too.

I have an order on the way so I’ll update after I’ve tried them.