Heavy Conditioning Phase

I recently finished a strength phase, so I started a heavy conditioning phase (“bootcamp” type workouts).

I do these workouts on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (5:30-6:15 a.m.). I usually lift on MWF (after 6:00 p.m.).

Jim: Do you think it is better/safer to do my strength workouts the night before (MWF) or the night after (T/Th) my intense cardio workouts?

Thanks in advance.

Thoughts from my fellow 5/3/1ers? Anyone else had this issue? As much as I would like Jim’s advice, I understand he can’t answer every question.

i want to know as well i hear different opinions all the time

[quote]dphillips wrote:
Do you think it is better/safer to do my strength workouts the night before (MWF) or the night after (T/Th) my intense cardio workouts?[/quote]

It doesn’t matter. Either way your body will adapt to the workload and if you’re getting adequate food and sleep you’ll continue to progress.

I’d stick to the same schedule - I don’t know where you are at, what your specific performance goals are, etc.

So stick to the same schedule for the typical 6 week block and then evaluate. If a change needs to happen, make it. That’s the whole point of why I set up the training in those blocks: to allow you to keep the same strength principles and adjust to your specific goals.

Thanks, Jim. Not just for taking the time to answer my question…for free, but for your contribution to making lifting fun and effective. Keep kicking ass!

As long as your pre workout carb intake is adequate and you give yourself 7-8 hours in between workouts you should be fine.