Heavy Close-Grip Reverse Curls for Trap Strength/Size

I just wondered if anyone else has used heavy close-grip reverse curls to hit the traps. I feel that they work as well as shrugs, and also blast the forearms.

Interested in your thoughts on this.

I think you’re curling incorrectly if you’re using your traps to curl the weight…

3 Likes

If you like those, you would just Love power cleans.

8 Likes

Is this an early April fools?

1 Like

Actually, when they are heavy, you shrug hard to add momentum to the curl. Shrugging protects your lower back from excess stress during super heavy reverse curls.

…
…
…

5 Likes

Haha, I will upload a video tomorrow… I know it sounds odd.

Here is the exercise that I was talking about. It is at the latter part of the video. As you can see, the traps are aiding the movement when the hands are positioned in this fashion.

3 Likes

Pretty cool. I would do a similar motion with a barbell, only elbows would be higher. But that may not work for a keg, so I think your motion is legit.

Kegs are cool. Lifting outside is cool.

What’s in the keg?

1 Like

Brother I have a book suggestion for you.

Unless your already aware of it I suggest…
Rock Iron Steel by Steve Justa
Its a interesting read and it falls in line with what your doing,

3 Likes

The keg is pretty much full to the top with water. I use it for one hand rowing too which is pretty tough and great for working the finger tips. I am 5ft3 and only weigh about 112lbs, so it is already way over half of my bodyweight and a decent challenge. I normally use the kegs when I can’t be bothered to go to my local woods to train. Don’t do much barbell work when it starts to get warmer.

1 Like