Heavy Bench & Squat Without Spotter

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
Anyway i got stuck under the bar today when squat. My nightmare came and i was scared shitless, i was donw there for a full minute. I managed to role the bar done on a bench but almost cracked my neck…scarys moment right there and i was on the 3rd set with only one rep left to go 4x8.[/quote]

WHAT?!?! didn’t you pay attention to what anyone posted above!? use the power rack and set the pins to just below your lowest squat position! you’re gonna hurt yourself otherwise

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Haha, getting stuck on incline sucks as well. The bar rolls down into the crack of your hips and you are basically pinned down. If your using decent weight, it is quite hard to get the bar up and off of you.

-MAtt[/quote]

Very hard! And painful, too, if you’re trying to get it off. I remember rolling the bar down there to try to sit up. HA. Then I couldn’t get it back up to my chest. Ended up tipping the bar.

I secund the guy who says that you have never benched untill you have been stuck under a bar heavier then you… I got nailed like this twice both on a flat though I had the collars on so it took a struggle and after two minute or so I managed toget one side of the bar on the loor and the other one on the pin , good enough to climb off, my only advice is benching with DBs and just working on your bench indirectly as for squats the power rack is a good idea, Having some sort of box to rest your legs on(although it will probably kill your lower back) and while the bar is on the pins you could rest up and get it up , then there are thoose guys who can just throw the bar down and get away safetly, youd probably want a platform for this and some skill at it one of my buds lost a toe to that a few years ago

I have the same problem – work out at home w/o a spotter. I found the following site:

http://www.shermworks.com/

Any thoughts on this “free-spotter”?

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
You haven’t benched untill you get stuck under the bar at least once.

i got stuck under the decline once on a friday when nobody was there, i had to wait like 10 minutes trying to get the bar off of me till someone entered the weight room lol[/quote]

I’ve gotten stuck on the decline as well after heavy tricep day, I was doing close grip decline and on the last one my arms tired out and i set the weight on my cheast. then tried to rest a moment then try agian, still was a no go, then I looked back and saw one of the guys I know and just asked “hey, Mike can ya give me a spot” he helped pull it off me but I was still pretty sore. My dumbass used the bottom of my rib cage as a stand.

Personally one of the things I do for safety is box squats. I mean, sure you need to go low sometimes. But Tate said box squats helped him the most to increase squat numbers. Helps me not to worry about falling on my arse. Or if I cannot make the lift, I can sit there and rest with the bar on my shoulders for a minute or two.

Sure the best is the pins idea, but if you just missed a lift this is a good way to rest and try again.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
well i practicly gave up benching. Not that i didnt like it its just that i have a history of shoulder problems and my shoulders were starting to hurt alot…felt like a bone was about to pop. I have decided to stop benching for a while till my shoulder gets better but i feel that since i am dipping, and shoulder pressing i should see my bench increase atleast a little no matter what.

Anyway i got stuck under the bar today when squat. My nightmare came and i was scared shitless, i was donw there for a full minute. I managed to role the bar done on a bench but almost cracked my neck…scarys moment right there and i was on the 3rd set with only one rep left to go 4x8. Anyway i usually get a really bad feeling if i dont finish a rep like “oh you pussy why didnt you finish it inside”, So i took off 5lbs and finshed my 4th set and then did 1 rep after that…Then i loaded the bar with another 15lbs and did 2 reps, i felt it made up for being stuck under the bar.[/quote]

Ok, you dont’t bench anymore because of your shoulders, but you continue to dip and shoulder press. That’s not smart.

And you squat without the safety pins in place. That’s not smart either.

Learn to front squat properly and you can ditch off the front pretty easy. If your shoulder hurts, military press and dips aren’t helping. I suggest you get a partner, preferably one with some experience.

Guys, he said he doesn’t have a Power Rack.

Dude, you gotta learn to dump it on squats. Just drop it back and get out from under it. I’ve had to do it a couple of times it’s easy.

For bench go with the no collar idea.

P.S. How the heck did somebody loose a toe dumping a squat? Guy must have been a complete spaz.

OH did i forget to mention i dont have a power rack, its basically a bench press station but lets me slide out the bars that hold the weight up to my height so i can squat.

oh and dipping and shoulder pressing just feel better than the bench.

i was thinking about dumping it but wasnt sure if i was gonna hit my lower back or something.

Bench is a tough one by yourself but I take every working set of squats to complete failure. Only thing is it sucks unracking, replacing the bar, then reracking all the weight after every set but it’s worth it.

You need to get a training partner. Preferably one who’s strong as shit so you can’t slack off.