Heavy Bench and Squat Twice/Wk?

Hi guys, i was looking at the SS template, and wondering why they have 2 heavy bench days and 3 squat days a week? Will this help your bench and squat increase considering its recomended in starting strength? Or is it one heavy bench and one lighter for 5x5. Please explain! Also if ive been training a year and a half, can i still bench twice heavy a week to increase it??

That template is for extreme beginners. It takes advantage of the intial nueral adaptations to training. Also, it is assuming you are eating at least 5,000 calories a day (if I remember correctly) regardless of bodyweight. If you have been training for a year and a half you probably won’t get many positive results from this.

Check out some beginner/intermediate programs like Bill Starrs 5x5 (which is awesome), Westsides Advanced System for Beginners, WS4SB, or whatever else. Where you are at right now, all you really need to do is get on something and stick with it for the next 10 years or so.

Doesnt bill starr’s bench twice also? What do u think of this? 3x5 for power 3x6-10 for hypertrophy.

Monday
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x6-10
Barbell Row 3x6-10
Rear Delt Raise 2 or 3x6-10

Wednesday
Deadlift 1x5
Military Press 3x5
Barbell Curls 3x6-10
Side Laterals 3x6-10

Friday
Bench 3x5
Squat 3x8
Pull ups 3xMAX

Saturday
Power Cleans 5x3
SLD 3x6-10
Shrugs 3x6-10
Barbell Curls 3x6-10

I really want to put emphasis on the big compound barbell movements

Is that one a program from somewhere or one you made up? Looks okay though. Benching twice a week is fine as long as they are 2 different rep ranges and/or weights. Westside does this with its dynamic bench day and even 5/3/1 can have a higher rep bench on its overhead press day.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Is that one a program from somewhere or one you made up? Looks okay though. Benching twice a week is fine as long as they are 2 different rep ranges and/or weights. Westside does this with its dynamic bench day and even 5/3/1 can have a higher rep bench on its overhead press day.[/quote]
Yea i made it up. I dont think im ready for westside but and plus i dont have the right equipment for it. Yea ive been looking at BBB for 5 3 1 but i like 3x5 or 5x5 work

[quote]huffer wrote:

thats my other post