T Nation

Heavy and Light Training

Hi guys,

i am curious if someone is follwowing such a format.

In my case I made the experience, that i need a bit higher frequency per muscle group (best 2x the week). Even when i go balls out one day a week is not enough.
But to keep this frequency up i need to devide the days in heavy and light. I cannot train heavy in the same rep zone 2x the week.
Its also sth Casey butt recomends.

So my quest is: Does somebody here follows such a template? and how you progress, change the days in following cycles?

cheers,s

Sounds fine. I don’t typically do this, but normally go heavy AND light during workouts.

I do, when bringing a muscle up, however, tend to hit it 2x a week, one session being heavy, and one session being lighter. Seems to do the trick for me.

THX.
When i mix up workouts it doesn´t work. For me seperate H/L days work best.

How does yout template looks like when you work with this style?

ws4sb does this

I am doing this currently and its really bringing my strength up. I do a heavy chest/back day on monday and then a lighter chest/back on friday… same with legs - heavy on tuesday, light on saturday. And i hit shoulders on wednesday. This seems to be working for me anyway coz my heavy bench is increasing every monday, probably due to the lighter work on fridays… same with my squat

It’s been around since the '50, if not longer.

Hammer throwers and shot put still train that way.

[quote]science wrote:
THX.
When i mix up workouts it doesn´t work. For me seperate H/L days work best.

How does yout template looks like when you work with this style?[/quote]

Well, I train more for bodybuilding purposes. My recent focus is triceps undoubtedly. It’s been something like this,

Sunday - Triceps (Heavy) + Biceps
Monday - Back
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Chest + Triceps (Light)
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Legs
Saturday - Off

Or, something to that effect. It really kind of depends on the week, and my schedule, and yadda yadda. If I’m rotating between light + heavy for a certain body part, I make sure to at least give it a few days’ rest.

But, there are plenty people bigger, stronger and more knowledgable than me who may have a different viewpoint. Just my .02.

[quote]TheGift wrote:
I am doing this currently and its really bringing my strength up. I do a heavy chest/back day on monday and then a lighter chest/back on friday… same with legs - heavy on tuesday, light on saturday. And i hit shoulders on wednesday. This seems to be working for me anyway coz my heavy bench is increasing every monday, probably due to the lighter work on fridays… same with my squat[/quote]

can you give a sample? (sets,rep range)
How do you change cycles? just backcycle?

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
ws4sb does this[/quote]

I <3 ws4sb. It’s been my favorite for about three years now.

[quote]science wrote:

[quote]TheGift wrote:
I am doing this currently and its really bringing my strength up. I do a heavy chest/back day on monday and then a lighter chest/back on friday… same with legs - heavy on tuesday, light on saturday. And i hit shoulders on wednesday. This seems to be working for me anyway coz my heavy bench is increasing every monday, probably due to the lighter work on fridays… same with my squat[/quote]

can you give a sample? (sets,rep range)
How do you change cycles? just backcycle?[/quote]

Basically im doing about 9-12 sets per bodypart, on the heavy days i keep reps around the 8 rep mark and on light days around 15 reps. Havent been doing this long enough to change cycles but il wont worry about that for another few weeks