Heavy Ab Work

I am about to do ABBH and in CW’s training log, it says to do 10x3 of decline sit-ups. Has anyone been able to put enough weight above their head or chest to do this?? I can not get enough weight on me to really feel anything after ten. How are people training abs with heavy weight?

If you have problems holding the weight try to do sit-ups in the cable-cross.

Attach the “tricepsrope” to the lower pulley. Lie down and hook you feet under on the opposite side. Grab the rope and rep away.

Quite different from “normal” sit-ups. Normal sit-ups, no tension when sitting upright.
Cable sit-ups, highest tension when sitting upright.

I agree cables if you can get then either standing crunc w/ high pulley, or decine with low pulley. I will also do declines with multiple plates or large dbs.

One thing worth mention is to check your form in order to assure tyou are targeting the abs and not just moving at the hips. Many ppl, myself included, as they progress in weight on these movments lose a lot of the ab activity by moving primarily at the hip/waste.

May sound weird but I constantly have to keep form in mind on these weighted movements. The best way I find and can explain it is to make sure you fully extend upper body on each rep and make a n effort to try and bring shoulders /head to your groin. Tuck your upper body in as far as you can toward your groin which will inturn really fire all those abs and not simplly rely on the waste/hips as the primary movers.

Hope that helps,

Phill

[quote]doctasarge wrote:
I am about to do ABBH and in CW’s training log, it says to do 10x3 of decline sit-ups. Has anyone been able to put enough weight above their head or chest to do this?? I can not get enough weight on me to really feel anything after ten. How are people training abs with heavy weight?[/quote]

Doctasarge - bullsh!t I think.

Use a steep decline bench with this on your chest:

1. 45# plates (1, 2, 3?)
  2. a dumbbell (go to 150#s even at my crappy gym)

Or on your face:
3) a hot 20 year old piece of @ss

You’ve tried all these and still not enough?

1. extend your arms straight our over your head with that sh!t listed above

Bastard F*ck Guy