T Nation

Heavier Working Sets in Black Iron Beast?

Hi everyone,

in the black iron beast calculator there is an interesting option to use heavier working sets for the main lifts. so instead of using 65%, 75% and 85% in the first week of a cycle, they use 75%, 80% and 85%. also the 2nd week is heavier and only the 531 week is the same.

now first of all i was wondering how they come to these percentages, if i remember correctly this is not written in any of the books?
and second is there some value to this, maybe the added volume of heavy sets makes up for probably less reps on the last sets? has anyone tried it and can approve that it works equally, better or worse?

just interested in your opinions and insight.

thanks and greetz

In 5/3/1 First Ed. two options for percentages where given:

65% x 5, 75% x 5, 85% x 5+
75% x 5, 80% x 5+, 85% x 5+

I tried both way back when, and I always had better results with the 10% jumps. I think the 10% is what works best for most people and seems to be the only thing Jim uses with any new templates he puts out. The 10% jumps leave me fresher for the top set of the day, and when I am setting PRs is when I am having the most success.

The idea behind the 5% jumps is to get more work of heavier weights. If you want more work at heavier weight I prefer other things though (second set last, monolith, etc.).

went back and looked it up. you’re right must have overread it.
i think i’m gonna give the heavy template a try.