T Nation

Heating Protein Powder: Myth?

So I’ve always thought does it really change the chemical structure of whey protein powder when added to oatmeal in the microwave? Does it make me only absorb 50% of protein? If someone has studies to prove this I’d greatly appreciate it.

Hmm… wouldn’t heating protein denature the structure of it? I’m pretty sure this topic was written by an author on this site.

Ingested proteins are far more resistant to denaturation than you’d think. It takes strong acid to unravel them, and even then enzymes still have to chop them up.

They are also susceptible to oxidative damage, but heating isn’t an issue.

The protein structure changes at some pH/temperature point. The structure change we call “denatured”. This may make it harder to digest but all the amino acids are still in there and even if it’s a little harder to digest, you will still absorb the overwhelming majority of the protein.

If you’re concerned, just don’t mix it into your oatmeal. Mix it into some water and drink it separately.

What’s the deal with the pic?

Just add your protein after cooking the oatmeal.

I mix in frozen blueberries first to bring the temperature down just a bit, then stir in Metabolic Drive.

Thanks guys! You guys eat anything else for breakfast for your complex carbs: cream of wheat, sweet potato anyone prefer anything else?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Ingested proteins are far more resistant to denaturation than you’d think. It takes strong acid to unravel them, and even then enzymes still have to chop them up.

They are also susceptible to oxidative damage, but heating isn’t an issue.[/quote]

Dave, what’s the deal w/ micellar casein then ? isn’t the reason we don’t get it’s benefits from regular milk because it’s pasteurized ?

I thought the process of digesting is rather like denatureing. Followed by breaking off individual amino acids with enzymes. So why worry about it?

You change the structure of protein which then gets chopped up into little peices when you eat it. Worrying about heat would mean we have to worry about cooking meat.

Stuff it…

Can you elaborate on the idea that pasteurization affects the benefits of milk? Which benefits are we talking about?

[quote]swivel wrote:
Dave, what’s the deal w/ micellar casein then ? isn’t the reason we don’t get it’s benefits from regular milk because it’s pasteurized ?[/quote]

[quote]BigLopic wrote:
Thanks guys! You guys eat anything else for breakfast for your complex carbs: cream of wheat, sweet potato anyone prefer anything else?[/quote]

Wheatina with brown sugar mixed in for taste and simple carbs.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
What’s the deal with the pic? [/quote]

That’s what I was wondering too. It looks to be from MH mag, or something.