Heating a Garage Gym

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
So I must’ve been tripping cos I just checked went up in the manhole in our roof and it most definitely is NOT insulated up there over the garage. Would it be fair to assume that if the ceiling isn’t insulated then the walls definitely wouldn’t be either, despite being drywalled?
How much difference would insulating the garage walls and ceiling make to the temperature out there?[/quote]
probably 10-15 deg at most unless you heat the space. the insulation just maintains the temp if you heat or cool the space. go with the electric oil-filled heater suggested earlier. 110v, use little electricity, work great, and you can leave it on.[/quote]

He is in New York it won’t make a dent in the cold in winter.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
So I must’ve been tripping cos I just checked went up in the manhole in our roof and it most definitely is NOT insulated up there over the garage. Would it be fair to assume that if the ceiling isn’t insulated then the walls definitely wouldn’t be either, despite being drywalled?
How much difference would insulating the garage walls and ceiling make to the temperature out there?[/quote]
probably 10-15 deg at most unless you heat the space. the insulation just maintains the temp if you heat or cool the space. go with the electric oil-filled heater suggested earlier. 110v, use little electricity, work great, and you can leave it on.[/quote]

He is in New York it won’t make a dent in the cold in winter.[/quote]
I guess so. here it’s going to be 75-80 on the first day of winter this saturday.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
Yeh. I know there’s the whole “man up and lift” aspect of it. But if there is a reasonable option for 100-200 to take it from shitty to comfortable then I’m all for it. The only thing I’m worried about with what Lowes suggested is:

• Are the propane fumes going to be an issue if all I’m doing is cracking a window (it is a garage, so it’s not like it’s air tight anyway)
  • Where and how do I store propane after the winter and/or when the heater isn’t in use? (Can I just stick the tank in the basement in the summer? or put it in a shelf in the garage?)[/quote]

Cracking a window doesn’t help gas accumulation because propane at normal temperatures is heavier than air, resulting in it building from the bottom up. So say you have a heater where the flame is 12 inches off of the ground, and a leaky valve (uncommon but it does happen). The room fills about 12 inches across the entire floor space then reaches the ignition source. Then your garage gets blown to bits.

It’s best to store it outside and run a line in. Not a great idea to store explosive gasses indoors when not in use either, but I’ll bet people do it all the time with no consequence.

[/quote]

Don’t confuse Propane accumulation with CO. Propane is indeed heavier than air (Butane even more so) but the poisoning risk is largely air displacement (and of couse going boom). CO on hte other hand mixes easily with air as it has similar properties and will kill you by preventing your lungs from using oxygen by inseting itself onto your red blood cells.

Both can be nasty, but CO is a real biggie. I only know from using brewing burners and always use propane outdoors, but the consensus is that with a proper extractions system (fan, hood)you can use propane indoors. If a heatpump/exhaust heat exchanger is available in the US, that could save you some BTU as well

[quote]TQB wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
Yeh. I know there’s the whole “man up and lift” aspect of it. But if there is a reasonable option for 100-200 to take it from shitty to comfortable then I’m all for it. The only thing I’m worried about with what Lowes suggested is:

• Are the propane fumes going to be an issue if all I’m doing is cracking a window (it is a garage, so it’s not like it’s air tight anyway)
  • Where and how do I store propane after the winter and/or when the heater isn’t in use? (Can I just stick the tank in the basement in the summer? or put it in a shelf in the garage?)[/quote]

Cracking a window doesn’t help gas accumulation because propane at normal temperatures is heavier than air, resulting in it building from the bottom up. So say you have a heater where the flame is 12 inches off of the ground, and a leaky valve (uncommon but it does happen). The room fills about 12 inches across the entire floor space then reaches the ignition source. Then your garage gets blown to bits.

It’s best to store it outside and run a line in. Not a great idea to store explosive gasses indoors when not in use either, but I’ll bet people do it all the time with no consequence.

[/quote]

Don’t confuse Propane accumulation with CO. Propane is indeed heavier than air (Butane even more so) but the poisoning risk is largely air displacement (and of couse going boom). CO on hte other hand mixes easily with air as it has similar properties and will kill you by preventing your lungs from using oxygen by inseting itself onto your red blood cells.

Both can be nasty, but CO is a real biggie. I only know from using brewing burners and always use propane outdoors, but the consensus is that with a proper extractions system (fan, hood)you can use propane indoors. If a heatpump/exhaust heat exchanger is available in the US, that could save you some BTU as well[/quote]

The vent free systems are >99% efficient. I have a vent free gas log set and keep a CO detector on the mantle, never set it off.

Moisture is a bigger issue with them.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
DO NOT use a torpedo heater in a sealed area due to CO poisoning.

I have a vent free heater that is 30,000 btu’s to heat my 780 sq ft cabin. This is the model

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395468_200395468?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters%2C%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces-_-Dual-Fuel:%20Gas%20%2B%20Propane%20Heaters-_-177202&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=177202&gclid=CM3U0e7-t7sCFahDMgodj2oAQQ[/quote]

Dumb question, I’ve got a 2 car garage (no idead the sq footage, maybe 20’x20’x8’ w/ an attic), do you think the unit you posted would heat it?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

I have a vent free heater that is 30,000 btu’s to heat my 780 sq ft cabin. This is the model

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395468_200395468?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters%2C%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces-_-Dual-Fuel:%20Gas%20%2B%20Propane%20Heaters-_-177202&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=177202&gclid=CM3U0e7-t7sCFahDMgodj2oAQQ[/quote]

Dumb question, I’ve got a 2 car garage (no idead the sq footage, maybe 20’x20’x8’ w/ an attic), do you think the unit you posted would heat it?[/quote]

No problem, I heat my 28x28 cabin with one in Northern Michigan. It is fairly thirsty on high though. If it is in the thirties a twenty pound tank will last about one and a half to two days, but it keeps the place comfortable on its lowest setting.

Do you have propane or natural gas? They make both types.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

Dumb question, I’ve got a 2 car garage (no idead the sq footage, maybe 20’x20’x8’ w/ an attic), do you think the unit you posted would heat it?[/quote]

No problem, I heat my 28x28 cabin with one in Northern Michigan. It is fairly thirsty on high though. If it is in the thirties a twenty pound tank will last about one and a half to two days, but it keeps the place comfortable on its lowest setting.

Do you have propane or natural gas? They make both types.
[/quote]

Thanks, I’m in the market. I haven’t bought anything yet. I’m doing the “man up” approach for now, but it’s gotten pretty cold in MD.

I have a home gym. I am always looking for ways to cool mine down. Its cold where I am and I love it cold when I lift. I even keep the windows open and you can see my breath when I workout.

[quote]dirtman wrote:
I have a home gym. I am always looking for ways to cool mine down. Its cold where I am and I love it cold when I lift. I even keep the windows open and you can see my breath when I workout.
[/quote]

Nothing says a great workout until the sweat on your hands freezes onto the cold steel and you pull off a layer of skin, eh?

Sorry, banged my hands on too many cold engine blocks in my day and snapped my fingers with one too many cold rifle receivers. I like my gyms 68 F.

Now, I will go do pull ups or whatever outside in 1 F weather, but no moving metal around in the cold.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
it’s gotten pretty cold in MD. [/quote]

What part? I’m in Laurel and it ain’t cold.

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
The garage is attached but only shares one wall with house.[/quote]

My garage is attached to my house…I go out to the garage…do a set…walk back inside…go back out…adjust weight and do a set…go back inside…depending on what I’m doing I typically spend the first 20 minutes moving in and out of my house/garage and then I’ve warmed up enough not to be cold. I spend 20 minuites minimum between sets lately and a set of 10 takes 40 seconds so you’re in where it’s warm on almost a 2:1 ratio to where it’s cold.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
it’s gotten pretty cold in MD. [/quote]

What part? I’m in Laurel and it ain’t cold.[/quote]

Westminster, it’s not freezing, but I hate the cold.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:

My garage is attached to my house…I go out to the garage…do a set…walk back inside…go back out…adjust weight and do a set…go back inside…depending on what I’m doing I typically spend the first 20 minutes moving in and out of my house/garage and then I’ve warmed up enough not to be cold. I spend 20 minuites minimum between sets lately and a set of 10 takes 40 seconds so you’re in where it’s warm on almost a 2:1 ratio to where it’s cold. [/quote]

Same here, except I just prop the door open for about 20 minutes.

@Testy - Thanks man, I actually have a 500 gallon propane tank about 20ft out the back door of the garage that runs our furnace and fireplace, nothing else. I just don’t really like the idea of hooking up a hose every time I’m gonna use the gym for 2 hours. But if it’s a pretty simple procedure then I’ll give it a better look.

I have Lowes coming tomorrow morning to give me a free estimate for insulating the garage, I’m hoping they give me a quote with materials so if it ends up costing a lot for installation (like I am expecting) then I will at least know the footage and amount of materials so I can just go get it and do it myself.

The only issue with insulation is that I have no idea how to do the walls without taking off the drywall which I do not want to do. Is there such a thing as blow-in wall insulation? Could I cut a hole in the top of the wall, blow insulation in and then just patch the drywall after?

Would I have to do that between every single stud? Ceiling wouldn’t be a problem, I’d prefer the blow-in kind but don’t know how much it would cost to hire a hose and blower.

@silverblood. 2-car garage, don’t know the footage, but the rack/bench etc only take up the back corner, I’d say the space I actually use is about 15’x15’ with 12’ ceiling. That’s why I was thinking fan forced would be good cos I could just point it at the area.

My father-in-law suggested hanging a clear plastic curtain but I don’t want to do that, I’d feel like I was working out in a humid-ass quarantine tent, and a little claustrophobic to be honest.

[quote]dirtman wrote:
[/quote]

Yeh fuck that haha. I’m just over the border in NY (Syracuse now, was in Buffalo).
I went out the other day for legs and I’d left to 25lb’s on the bar and they were frozen on. I run a dehumidifier out there (the dryer vents into the garage) so moisture is minimal and I have no clue how they got frozen on, but I had to bring it inside and let it thaw for a bit. I’m assuming I sweated on them and the sweat froze but I still have no idea how they were that stuck.

It’s just getting to the point where I can’t be assed being uncomfortable for 4 months/year. Everything in the garage is bought and paid for and it’s a really good set up so I never need to go to a gym again or pay membership fee’s or petrol getting there and back or anything, so if its gonna cost a few hundred for a permanent solution then I want to make it happen. I just don’t know anything about building or heating or freezing temps or anything like that.

I am from Australia, so I never dealt with cold weather (winter in Sydney is like mid to high 40’s on a bad day) and I never saw vinyl siding house til I came to the US. My Dad is a builder and built the house I grew up in which was double brick throughout, didn’t need to be heated or cooled at all and stayed comfortable year around even when it was 100f outside. Also, basements piss me off, I never saw one of those til I came to the US either.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:

My garage is attached to my house…I go out to the garage…do a set…walk back inside…go back out…adjust weight and do a set…go back inside…depending on what I’m doing I typically spend the first 20 minutes moving in and out of my house/garage and then I’ve warmed up enough not to be cold. I spend 20 minuites minimum between sets lately and a set of 10 takes 40 seconds so you’re in where it’s warm on almost a 2:1 ratio to where it’s cold. [/quote]

I train when my 2-year old is napping. Don’t really want to be opening and closing doors every minute while he’s sleeping in the next room, it probably wouldn’t make a difference but if he wakes up then my session is over, so I don’t want to risk it.
If I end up getting insulated then I might even see if some HVAC guys can come out and just add a line from the furnace to the garage and put on a shut-off valve or whatever when I’m not in there.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Westminster, it’s not freezing, but I hate the cold. [/quote]

Mikey?

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
I train when my 2-year old is napping. [/quote]

He’s 2 and not training with you yet? Sheesh…you’re 1 step away from being an absentee dad man.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Westminster, it’s not freezing, but I hate the cold. [/quote]

Mikey?[/quote]

Nope, lol.

I have pics in my hub if you think you might know me.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Jscoope wrote:
I train when my 2-year old is napping. [/quote]

He’s 2 and not training with you yet? Sheesh…you’re 1 step away from being an absentee dad man.[/quote]

Ha, I’ve tried and he gets in the way.
He’s still too much of a kid and is either too much mischief or too hilarious for me to lift anything heavy without hurting myself, him, or both of us.