Heath Talking Down To Classic Competitors?

This thread is getting good -lol

S

1 Like

@The_Mighty_Stu i guess Heath would consider Pearl a weekend warrior

1 Like

I donā€™t want this thread to turn into a bash-Heath one, but anyone who follows the sport, and itā€™s social media aspect, realizes that Phil has certainly not helped his own reputation with how he acts and interacts with fans. That said, with the introduction of the Classic division (obviously realizing the waning interest among all but the most die-hard fans), having a rude, almost antagonistic reigning champion isnā€™t the best situation for the future of the open bodybuilding class.

(Iā€™m talking in an extreme situation here, not from any inside knowledge)

S

1 Like

Call me cynical but I reckon this was more about finding a new way to charge entry fees than any realisation. They might be dragged kicking and screaming into that direction though.

1 Like

Lol true

S

bulldog muzzle

:+1:

2 Likes

When was the last time someone did a vacuum pose?

I grew up with the old timers. That was reachable. Todayā€¦

The biggest downside is these guys are 250lbs+ with 6% bodyfat. This makes idiots think they can tell you they naturally had stats which Frank Zaneā€™s would be proud of without realising how silly they sound.

1 Like

Although it isnā€™t the best in the world, Brad Rowe uses it in a lot of his routines

I may literally be the only human being who likes Heathā€™s attitude. I believe what he does IS far more difficult than what it takes to be a Classic Physique champ. I know that most of you guys would probably disagree, but I look at it from my own body and say ā€˜yea, I could see myself getting shredded at 190. I canā€™t fucking IMAGINE shredded at 250ā€™. So to me, aesthetic biases aside, the open class is just far and away more impressive, and it will always draw my attention first. I think the appeal of Classic is that a whooooole lot more people see that type of physique and say ā€˜now THATS what I want to look like!ā€™ It is more appealing in that regard, I totally get it. I just love the freak show :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree completely. I also agree with everything Phil said. I did not take him saying ā€œweekend warriorsā€ as only training sporadically but, that to win the open class requires 24/7 dedication. The guys in the open class are pushing the body to its limits.

Taken by itself, and knowing several natty guys who compete at 190, i wouldnt think itā€™s so impressive either,ā€¦

BUT,ā€¦

knowing firsthand what some top classic guys truly look like, I can tell you thereā€™s a World of difference between WNBF heavyweight Kurt Weidner (200 lbs onstage) and IFBB classic Olympia runner up Arash Rahbar (made weight at 204 lbs) in terms of sheer muscle mass and overall size.

I laugh when I think back to a certain former poster on this site, who was 5ā€™10 and loved to cling to the notion that he would have been 230+ if he ever dieted down. Being very close friends with Arash (also 5ā€™10), and a few other pros of similar heights, shines a light on how many people, even those with very respectable physiques, have no true understanding of just how good (and big!) some of these top pros really are,ā€¦ yes, even in classic!

Sure youā€™ve got guys doing menā€™s physique who arguably rely on more PEDs than most open competitors, but I think thatā€™s the real rationale behind the height/weight ratios in classic. You canā€™t force yourself up in weight so haphazardly, disregarding Any sense of aesthetics and still compete. How many times have we seen an amazing open competitor turn pro, only to hear all the experts voice concerns that they donā€™t ā€œruin their physiquesā€ to compete at the pro level?

S

Yes, he would. Though he looks great at that body fat level he would not win any shows. I do not know where you live but, at the gyms I frequent in southern CA there are many guys at that size that train 3-5 times a week depending on what their schedule allows. A couple close friends of mine are UPS drivers and only have time to train during lunch.

Dude seriouslyā€¦ your talking Bill Pearl. If thats the case you might as well include Arnold also

Dude if these guys are only hitting it when there work schedule will allow either they got damn freak genetics or on some good gear.

1 Like

Cā€™monā€¦lets not turn it into a huge thing but, you chose perhaps the best picture of him online. Black and white with perfect lighting/shadows after most likely and huge arm pump. Even still at that BF level and size I do not think he would win anything.

You misunderstand meā€¦ Iā€™m not making a big deal over it. Iā€™m well aware that standards have changed. Obviously he wouldnā€™t win a pro show based on that. Be it better or for worse depending on ones view point. Neither would Lee Haney which I posted before hand.I donā€™t want you to think I am picking a fight. A friendly debate at most but not a actual fight.

I agree with you on this point. Butā€¦the existence of his attitude isnā€™t the issue here, itā€™s how he loudly and proudly displays this attitude. Thereā€™s a very large difference to me in thinking that you are the best at what you do and nobody else can compare (visually or in their work ethic or effort) and then expressing that thought in a demeaning way towards those other competitors and, on occasion, your fan base.

Itā€™s a difference in characterā€¦not veracity.

He was also off on the weights. Phil at 5 9+ would get to be 202, a guy 6+ feet tall would get to weigh in at 225. And presuming they do some things to make weight, that would be bigger than a 225 stage weight open bodybuilding. Arnold at 6-2 would be either 235 or 242, which means Arnold would have met classic bodybuilding requirements.

1 Like

Presumably there is some added difficulty for the classic guys to keep their waste small and to have to make weight though too, right? Iā€™d assume it would have to limit certain drugs, food intake, and maybe do a bit more with water. Not saying itā€™s harder (Iā€™m totally out of my depth on being that big or lean or getting into that sort of condition), but it seems like it has itā€™s own challenges.

For me I donā€™t care what is harder, I want to see what Iā€™d want to look like in bodybuilding or what Iā€™d want to be able to do in sports. I donā€™t watch sports based on which is hardest, or Iā€™d have to like watching marathons and crap. Total respect for long distance runners, but I ainā€™t watching it.

2 Likes

Based on the responses to what I said, I should clarify. Itā€™s not that Iā€™m not impressed by the top classic physiques. Obviously I am. These guys are essentially Arnold-level or better. Thatā€™s insanely good. All I was suggesting when I used myself as an example was that classic seems within the realm of possibilities for someone like me. I wasnā€™t suggesting that Iā€™m actually anywhere near that sort of level currently, only that I could see a path for myself to make it to that level, if I decided to dedicate my efforts in that direction. I see no path to the Open class for myself. And DoubleDuce, I absolutely get the last thing you said about which sports you watch/donā€™t watch, and that itā€™s not about whatā€™s hardest. I really enjoy the classic physiques. I think they look incredible. Iā€™d want to look like that myself. But at the end of the day, I know a couple dozen names in the Open class, and like maybe 5 in the classic. Maybe thatā€™s because itā€™s new, but I canā€™t deny that I enjoy the freak show.

Iā€™ll concede that ā€˜weekend warriorā€™ was likely an inappropriate term to describe the classic guys. I donā€™t think thatā€™s accurate, at least in the way I think of a weekend warrior. But I can see how Phil would look at it that way, in comparison to what he and other top Open pros do.

3 Likes