T Nation

Heat and Appetite?

Hey all,

I’m back in the tropics (Philippines) coming back from 5 degree weather and my brain seems to be telling me not to eat anymore. I’m not complaining, because I eat anyway, but I was just wondering if heat/weather had an impact on appetite.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Hey all,

I’m back in the tropics (Philippines) coming back from 5 degree weather and my brain seems to be telling me not to eat anymore. I’m not complaining, because I eat anyway, but I was just wondering if heat/weather had an impact on appetite.[/quote]

we discussed this recently and someone mentioned that since the hypothalmus regulates hunger and also responds to light it is possible that being in darker places such as the US during winter will increase appetite but during the summer when its lighter out your brain signals you that you dont need to eat as much.

i also noticed that during the summer i have less of an appetite. but if that theory is correct then it would to do with sunlight versus actual temperature.

interestingly enough i never want to eat when im cold.

Hmmm that makes sense. I guess the body wants more food in the winter too, just to keep warm. When you say “we discussed this” I’m assuming you and your friends don’t talk about hypothalamus? Or do you?

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Hmmm that makes sense. I guess the body wants more food in the winter too, just to keep warm. When you say “we discussed this” I’m assuming you and your friends don’t talk about hypothalamus? Or do you?[/quote]

i might with friends in psyche class, but no, in this instance i was referring to a discussion on this site about a similar topic.

i think i may actually have brought it up too since it was during the summer and i wasnt eating a lot of whole food because i didnt have a huge appetite.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Hey all,

I’m back in the tropics (Philippines) coming back from 5 degree weather and my brain seems to be telling me not to eat anymore. I’m not complaining, because I eat anyway, but I was just wondering if heat/weather had an impact on appetite.

we discussed this recently and someone mentioned that since the hypothalmus regulates hunger and also responds to light it is possible that being in darker places such as the US during winter will increase appetite but during the summer when its lighter out your brain signals you that you dont need to eat as much.

i also noticed that during the summer i have less of an appetite. but if that theory is correct then it would to do with sunlight versus actual temperature.

interestingly enough i never want to eat when im cold. [/quote]

The hypothalamus will recieve information that the body is too hot and will do the necessary steps to lower the body temperature. Sweating and vasodilation will occur.

The loss of appetite will normally occur along with other symptoms so that the body will be able to hold on to all of the fluids it needs (as it usually takes fluids to aid in eating).

That “light” theory sounds like hogwash.

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Hey all,

I’m back in the tropics (Philippines) coming back from 5 degree weather and my brain seems to be telling me not to eat anymore. I’m not complaining, because I eat anyway, but I was just wondering if heat/weather had an impact on appetite.

we discussed this recently and someone mentioned that since the hypothalmus regulates hunger and also responds to light it is possible that being in darker places such as the US during winter will increase appetite but during the summer when its lighter out your brain signals you that you dont need to eat as much.

i also noticed that during the summer i have less of an appetite. but if that theory is correct then it would to do with sunlight versus actual temperature.

interestingly enough i never want to eat when im cold.

The hypothalamus will recieve information that the body is too hot and will do the necessary steps to lower the body temperature. Sweating and vasodilation will occur.

The loss of appetite will normally occur along with other symptoms so that the body will be able to hold on to all of the fluids it needs (as it usually takes fluids to aid in eating).

That “light” theory sounds like hogwash.

[/quote]

The vasodilation would explain why I’ve been feeling light headed whenever I stand up, which is nice.

light theory > temerate theory

If i’m out in the heat, especially if it’s humid or the least bit active, my appetite’s pretty much non-existant until I cool down.