Heart vs Weight Training w/ Hypertrophy

My #1 barrier to working out as long as I want to is, I believe, my heart. I basically just go till I get nauseous. That makes me think I should equally work on aerobic, so I can weight-train for longer without feeling sick.

However, as a very metabolic ectomorph, I’m wary of the calorie consumption and having it ramp up my metabolism even more, robbing me of needed fuel for muscle growth.

Given my goal of hypertrophy before any other kind of gain, what are some good suggestions for someone of my biology?

Thanks.

I can’t advise you on the nausea, but ramp up your calories so you still have a caloric surplus, or at least a caloric equilibrium, and do cardio if you think it will help.

A visit to the doctor’s office wouldn’t be a bad idea if the nausea persists.

do some cardio? however don’t really know what is best kind of cardio for heart. ive been curious about this as well.

Why assume nausea is due to lack of metabolic conditioning? Lots of fit people puke in the gym. It means you’ve pushed hard.

Metabolic ecto needs short hard workouts with plenty of recovery time.

@ skw

I suppose you could always push yourself to nausea, no matter how fit, but it seems like a stronger heart would reduce that.

The amount I lift causes me to max out between 10-15 reps per set. I’m going for hypertrophy and, as I understand it, there should be little rest in between the sets (IE 15 seconds). I feel I can’t work my muscles as well because my heart rate gets consistently high. I need more blood flow… don’t I?

Also, how much recovery time are you talking about? During the workouts? Between them?

i get that if ive eaten before the gym. even if its like 2 hours before some times. or sometimes, when im caining the squat or deadlift really hard i get it anyway. and i see stars and shit. its fcuking great.

The stars are from a massive blood pressure spike.

People have passed out before mid lift, it does happen, and its hilarious to watch in the deadlift.

My vision gets blurry after I deadlift, again thats blood pressure. Fun stuff, but it will not hurt you.

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
do some cardio? however don’t really know what is best kind of cardio for heart. ive been curious about this as well.[/quote]

All Cardio is for the heart. Do you have ventriclar hypertrohy? Have you been diagnosed with any other heart conditions? Hypertension?

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
@ skw

I suppose you could always push yourself to nausea, no matter how fit, but it seems like a stronger heart would reduce that.

The amount I lift causes me to max out between 10-15 reps per set. I’m going for hypertrophy and, as I understand it, there should be little rest in between the sets (IE 15 seconds). I feel I can’t work my muscles as well because my heart rate gets consistently high. I need more blood flow… don’t I?

Also, how much recovery time are you talking about? During the workouts? Between them?[/quote]

Sounds like its lactic acid build up.

What would be adequate recovery time for a nausea-inducing workout? A day? Two days?

try 60-90 seconds of rest between sets instead of 15.

Why the fuck would anyone rest 15 seconds between sets? I mean, I understand if you expect to hit your limit at just benching 20lb per side, but if your goal is to actually build some fucking strength and muscle, why limit yourself like that?

No wonder you get nauseus.

I see that you are trying to build muscle and you are working out hard, but I also see that you are more worried about what cardio you need to do? I don’t get it.

If you are trying to build muscle the first thing you have to worry about is pushing your muscles to the limit not your heart, so I’d advise rest times anywhere from 60-180 seconds with HEAVY lifting because working out with sub 70% maximal weight won’t get an ectomorph anywhere in terms of muscle growth…

Thanks for the suggestions Steel, Alquemist. As you know, there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to proper techniques and guidelines of weight training.

I have no investment in the 15 second rest, just something I read. Fortunately, it’s wrong, or so you say. A 60-180 second rest period feels much more natural to me anyway.

I take it cardio should be cut out of my routine, then?

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions Steel, Alquemist. As you know, there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to proper techniques and guidelines of weight training.

I have no investment in the 15 second rest, just something I read. Fortunately, it’s wrong, or so you say. A 60-180 second rest period feels much more natural to me anyway.

I take it cardio should be cut out of my routine, then?[/quote]

Unless your goal is fatloss, I would stop timing rest periods to the second. Just rest enough so that you can attack the next set with enough intensity.

[quote]Goggleman wrote:

I take it cardio should be cut out of my routine, then?[/quote]

Just keep the cardio to a minimum where you aren’t breathing heavy or anything like that…you’re training for strength and hypertrophy not to be a marine.

Good luck