Heart Rate Monitor

This might be a dumb question, but I noticed many models come with a chest strap. You don’t have to use that do you? You can just rely on the watch itself?

I know some models don’t have it, and obviously you would just use the watch. But the other models don’t rely on that chest piece, do they?

to Playoffs: YES in that you do HAVE to use the strap as that is where to electrode pick-ups are located. In this case it is adventageous to WET the strap first with either water or saliva to get a solid electrical connection. I personally use some SALT water on the strap first off.

Some watches do have an electrode back plate that will pickup your heart rate but I have owned Polars for so long now +/- 20 years that I do trust them. Also the garmins are nice but we (the Mammoth Track Club) have had a few minor but annoying issues with them : (

Basically look at the various models and find the one with the FEATURES that you will use the most so you do not overspend on a piece of equipment.

Also, in light of IronClaws: remember that some days you feel like shit and hit a PR and on some great feeling days you cannot get shit done. This is where barring having a cycling power meter a HRM is really helpful. I also use it first thing in the AM to see what my waking HR is to make sure I have recovered well. Typically used IN-season more than year around. Happy hunting. Feel free to PM me in you need any further explanation : )

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:

Also, in light of IronClaws: remember that some days you feel like shit and hit a PR and on some great feeling days you cannot get shit done. This is where barring having a cycling power meter a HRM is really helpful. I also use it first thing in the AM to see what my waking HR is to make sure I have recovered well. Typically used IN-season more than year around. Happy hunting. Feel free to PM me in you need any further explanation : )[/quote]

I have anybody that I train do that and keep a log. After 6 months, most people just know.