T Nation

Heart Palpitations

So last night I was chilling on my couch with my roommate when all the sudden my heart started beating really fast and I got short of breath and felt really light headed. So since this never happened before i freaked out and thought i was having a heart attack and went to the hospital.

apparently i had a heart palpitation, i was wondering if anyone else here has dealt with this and if its something i really need to be worried about. As for my age im 20 so i thought me having a heart attack was fuking nuts but i didnt know what else it could have been.

On Easter Sunday 4 years ago I was having what felt like skipped beats with my heart. I went to the ER and they ran an EKG and some blood work. Apparently my potassium level was low and was causing PVC’s (Premature Ventricular Contractions). The EKG also showed Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, which is basically an extra electrical pathway between my atria and ventricles. Finding this out and 25 and dealing puts your perception of immortality away real quick. Having everyone ask “aren’t you young to be having heart problems?” is a real pain in the ass too. I just have to explain that its congenital and nothing I did caused it. I had a cardiac catheter to find the extra path way, but they couldn’t find it, so i have something like a 1 in 2000 chance of just keeling over if it causes a feedback. I’ve cleaned up my diet (I was living on cigarettes and mountain dew at the time, I don’t smoke and gave up caffeine).

I would schedule and appointment with your primary doctor and discuss things with him, see what tests they did in the ER and what options you have from there. I had to see a cardiologist but it took 3 months to see him because they were scheduled out so far, so the wait can be stressful too.

See a doctor.

However, this can sometimes be lack of magnesium. Get some ZMA.

Another cause can be anxiety etc…

You are NEVER too young to have a heart attack and die. But what you describe is not a heart attack. But yeah any number of things can be wrong. SO SEE THE DOCTOR. But, it most likely is the lack of magnesium.

Been there, done that bro. I was eating cheap protein bars like candy and one day I started having some serious palipitations. I didn’t have just one, I was having one every minute. This went on for 3 days until I went to the hospital. I had a chest x-ray and an EKG and was told that all was good (I was 25 at the time). They gave me some anxiety pills and sent me home.

Once I stopped eating the protein bars the palipitations stopped. While at the hospital they did discover that I had an irregular heart beat though. The Doc told me not to worry about it because one in five people have one. It’s a scarry ordeal but a lot of young people go through it. It’s probably nothing but you need to get it checked out man. More than likely it’s something in your diet or stress related. Better safe than sorry though.

I agree with basically what everyone else is saying on here in that you need to see a DR to be absolutely sure you are ok. I had the same thing happen to me at a friends wedding and ended up going to the hospital twice in 3 days because of it. I turned out to be OK. They blamed it on anxiety, lack of sleep, and caffeine levels. After having the shit scared out of me from the whole ordeal I made a few lifestyle changes that eventually helped with the problem.

But like i said…go see a DR, they will be able to find out what is wrong, and if nothing is…it will help put your mind at ease.

I know how you feel. The first time I had one of these I freaked pretty bad. I didn’t go to the hospital or anything, though.
This is actually not too rare for me. I’ll have one probably once or twice a month. It’s always after an intense training session and only when I lay down. Which kind of sucks since I train in the evening and i’m trying to go to bed. Sitting up or taking a walk usually helps. My diet is pretty much clean, so I don’t know exactly what is the cause of this. Also, i’m 19 and have been having them probably since I was 18.

Oi - what was the outcome? did the original poster die?

I still say it is magnesium deficiency