Heart and Soul of the GOP

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
This is what a conservative looks like.[/quote]

You’re confused Lifty, Paul is a libertarian, and an odd one at that. Reagan was a conservative in the same mold as the father of the modern conservative movement Barry Goldwater. Goldwater coined the term “peach through strength” and was a very prominent military hawk.

You should really read up on conservatism before you drag out poor old Ron Paul as the epitome of such.

ZEB[/quote]

I go straight to Mr. Conservative, himself to understand conservatism. Who do you go to?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

You’re confused Lifty, Paul is a libertarian, and an odd one at that. Reagan was a conservative in the same mold as the father of the modern conservative movement Barry Goldwater. Goldwater coined the term “peach through strength” and was a very prominent military hawk.

You should really read up on conservatism before you drag out poor old Ron Paul as the epitome of such.

ZEB[/quote]

Words don’t mean anything. Only actions. Regan grew government and the debt just like a silly democrat would (heck, by those standards Clinton was a better conservative than Reagan).

Ron Paul is both a conservative and a libertarian (the ideas are not mutually exclusive). And a very principled man, at that.[/quote]

As I said Barry Goldwater was the modern day leader of conservatism. And he would not have looked at Ron Paul as a conservative. Read up on Goldwater, let some real conservative light into that libertarian brain of yours. [/quote]

Did you know that Barry Goldwater, Jr. endorsed Ron Paul in 2008?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

ZEB[/quote]

Words don’t mean anything. Only actions. Regan grew government and the debt just like a silly democrat would (heck, by those standards Clinton was a better conservative than Reagan).

Ron Paul is both a conservative and a libertarian (the ideas are not mutually exclusive). And a very principled man, at that.[/quote]

As I said Barry Goldwater was the modern day leader of conservatism. And he would not have looked at Ron Paul as a conservative. Read up on Goldwater, let some real conservative light into that libertarian brain of yours. [/quote]

Did you know that Barry Goldwater, Jr. endorsed Ron Paul in 2008?
[/quote]

Just because Goldwater was the father of modern day conservatism doesn’t mean that his son can do more than sit up and drool.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
There was an interesting political discussion that I viewed recently.

The essence of it was that the “more” interesting question to be answered during this Political cycle will not so much be the Presidency; those Political lines are clearly drawn, and have been even before the President took office.

The more interesting question is what will come out of the GOP Primary as the “real” or “Heart and Soul” of the GOP, as we move further into the second decade of the Century.

Will it be the Tea Party/Evangelical/unyielding/non-compromising very ideological driven wing of the GOP represented now by who appears to be Rick Perry?

Or will it be the “less” (albeit still conservative)/mainstream/more compromising (again, still conservative)/“more mainstream”/Boehner-McConnell wing of the GOP, represented by Romney?

The discussion went on to point out something that I also believe; that even though both “wings” like to evoke the memory of Ronald Reagan; Reagan would have been too “liberal” to make it through even a Primary today; and that even if he did, much of his legislation (that included tax increases); or compromises with Tip O’Neal; would have never seen the light of day.

What this all does is make it extremely unclear who will win the GOP Primary (and that’s among some pretty experienced political pundits); but that whomever wins (Perry or Romney) will help in further defining the GOP for some time to come.

Thoughts?

Mufasa[/quote]

T.E.A. Party today = old GOP minus the country club set. The country club set took it over back then and the T.E.A. Party is finally kicking their asses down the road.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Just because Goldwater was the father of modern day conservatism doesn’t mean that his son can do more than sit up and drool.[/quote]

I think you lost on that point. Goldwater Jr was every bit as conservative as his old man.

I would also argue that Ron Paul is the new face of American conservatism – you just haven’t accepted it yet.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Just because Goldwater was the father of modern day conservatism doesn’t mean that his son can do more than sit up and drool.[/quote]

I think you lost on that point. Goldwater Jr was every bit as conservative as his old man.[/quote]

And I don’t think that you understood my point. I’ll speak more plainly; It matters not what Goldwater’s son thinks, he’s not Barry Goldwater!

Barry Goldwater was the father of modern day conservatism NOT his son. And while we’ll never know who Goldwater would have endorsed I’d make a bet that it wouldn’t be Ron Paul based on Paul’s very naive foreign policy stands.