Heard of Oat Straw?

Anyone heard of this herb? Sounds promising for hormone help…

No-one!? :frowning:

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
No-one!? :frowning: [/quote]
Avena Sativa? I use it along side DAA. I cycle it 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I def feel a nice boost, and it’s cheap too.

Yeah, cool :slight_smile: Do you know if it boosts your testosterone levels much? Why do you cycle it?

And what is DAA?

I have never heard of it before but my husband thinks it is Avena Sativa.

In terms of studies, there doesn’t seem to be a single study in the scientific and medical literature finding any increase in testosterone, let alone free testosterone, with Avena sativa:

It’s widely claimed in health-food type literature that Avena sativa lowers SHBG, which supposedly would increase free testosterone (this is not correct though, even if actually lowering SHBG.) But there seems also to be not a single study finding this either:

There’s also apparently not a thing on effect on estradiol:

That said, clearly some perceive an effect from Avena sativa. But I expect that this is effect on the nervous system, not on hormone levels.

So if a person likes the effect whether as a general stimulant or for libido, then excellent, for him or her it doesn’t matter whatsoever that there’s apparently no evidence of testosterone being increased. However if the purpose is improving hormone levels, then personally I would not look to Avena sativa.

Ok thanks.

Alpha - yes it’s also called Avena Sativa. A friend told me about it!

He also just told me about Eurycoma_longifolia (tongkat ali) Anyone used this?

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
Ok thanks.

Alpha - yes it’s also called Avena Sativa. A friend told me about it!

He also just told me about Eurycoma_longifolia (tongkat ali) Anyone used this?
[/quote]

Yes.
Tongkat ali can be potent at the right dosages.

Athletes use for stamina.

It can also have a libido enhancing effect.

I have used a 400 mg doage with 300 mg of caffeine.

You may want to try that starting at a 100 mg dosage and increase from there to assess tolerance.

Another one I would recommend for you is Ginkgo Biloba.

I am thinking for you maybe a Maca/Tonkat/Ginkgo/Caffeine combo might help you through this time.
if it doesn’t it won’t stay in your system and it does not alter your hormonal status and if it works it will be a good tonic.

Also look up vinpocentine: it is a nootropic.

I will try to write more about these later - have to dash now.

Avena Sativa used to be a ingredient in Alpha Male or TRIBEX 500, cant remember which. I remember T.C. saying he liked the ingredient, but they dropped it out in favor of the new formula, and that Biotest didn’t really like the shotgun approach of putting a ton of different ingredients in their formulas.

I might try it some day, and see if I can feel anything on it. It does seem to be pretty cheap. Who knows if what your getting is quality stuff though.

It’s only the plant oats come from, so how expensive can they make it? porridge is cheap!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Alpha: i hate caffeine, makes me jittery… and gingko biloba the same. I’m interested in trying the other substances tho… look forward to your reply!

[quote]Wileykit wrote:

Alpha: i hate caffeine, makes me jittery… and gingko biloba the same. I’m interested in trying the other substances tho… look forward to your reply!

[/quote]

Do some reading on:

Mucuna Pruriens - Natural source of dopamine

Alpha-Yohimbine and Yohimbine - - has an effect on dopamine synapses.

Vitex Agnus castus is supposed to increase progesterone and helps regulate menstrual irregularities.

On the Tonkat Ali I would say look up to see if what you are buying is a 200:1 concentration or a 100:1

The 400 mg I suggested was based on a 100:1 concentration.

Start with the lower dosage and assess tolerance.

Vitex is alleged to increase progesterone. Maca is alleged to increase estrogen.

I thought of Vinpocetine for you because it might help with your headaches:

Thanks. Mucuba Pruriens sounds cool for it’s hormone effects? :slight_smile:

Why are you looking at dopamine particularly by the way, does it have some influence over hormones? For PMS i know serotonin and GABA are the main brain chemicals that are dysfunctional/in short supply…so anything that increases them would be good. Apparently simple daylight/sunshine increases serotonin! :blush: I work in an office tho, need to get out more!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve tried Agnus Castus in the past and it didn’t do anything for me.

Maca sounds cool, too! As does Vinpocetine, although it doesn’t say how long you need to take it before you feel an effect? My headaches are slightly improved at the moment but i still get them.

I bought some picamolin off amazon for my headaches but i don’t have an accurate scales to measure out the powder :frowning: I thought it might help with my PMS too. Do you know anything about this russian OTC drug?

Incidentally i tried GABA powder for my PMS in the past as well and despite the claims on the internet that it doesn’t cross the blood-brain barrier, i experienced effects which suggested it did, and that i possibly overdosed on it :stuck_out_tongue: I felt nicely stoned all evening and got pins and needles in my feet and hands (suggestive that i took too much). So i believe the internet is wrong! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
Thanks. Mucuba Pruriens sounds cool for it’s hormone effects? :slight_smile:

Why are you looking at dopamine particularly by the way, does it have some influence over hormones? [/quote]
Dopamine is a neurohormone.
There is also a relationship between testosterone and dopamine. Testosterone increases dopamine and if you were supplementing testosterone and are not doing it anymore you could be experiencing lower dopamine levels. At least by supplementing dopamine levels directly you might get some benefits of the psychological and physiological effects you did when on the testosterone hormone therapy.
Yohimbine for instance, is known for increasing libido in some women and/or also makes some aggressive. [quote]
Apparently simple daylight/sunshine increases serotonin! :blush: I work in an office tho, need to get out more!! :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote] What I really recommend for British sunshine is vitamin D3 4000 iu a day. [quote]

I bought some picamolin off amazon for my headaches but i don’t have an accurate scales to measure out the powder :frowning: I thought it might help with my PMS too. Do you know anything about this russian OTC drug?
Picamilon - Wikipedia [/quote] Never heard of it and don’t know any one who has used it so I can’t comment. My husband says pharmacologically it is a drug. If you want to keep to natural substances this is man made. [quote]
Incidentally i tried GABA powder for my PMS in the past as well and despite the claims on the internet that it doesn’t cross the blood-brain barrier, i experienced effects which suggested it did, and that i possibly overdosed on it :stuck_out_tongue: I felt nicely stoned all evening and got pins and needles in my feet and hands (suggestive that i took too much). So i believe the internet is wrong! :P[/quote]

Your body will always tell you the truth. :slight_smile:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

Why are you looking at dopamine particularly by the way, does it have some influence over hormones? [/quote]
Dopamine is a neurohormone.
There is also a relationship between testosterone and dopamine. Testosterone increases dopamine and if you were supplementing testosterone and are not doing it anymore you could be experiencing lower dopamine levels. At least by supplementing dopamine levels directly you might get some benefits of the psychological and physiological effects you did when on the testosterone hormone therapy.
Yohimbine for instance, is known for increasing libido in some women and/or also makes some aggressive.
[/quote]

I see.

Just started taking Vit D 5000IU softgels. They’ve got gelatin in them tho :frowning:

I’m taking all the vitamins, minerals and EPA’s i could possibly need and going to try these other hormone-boosting supplements on top :smiley: Probably one at a time. Should i just take them in the last half of my cycle when needed?

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
Should i just take them in the last half of my cycle when needed?
[/quote]

I think you need to experiment with that.