Heard of Adderall Xr?

[quote]jck524 wrote:
Im interested as to why so many of you are against the use of adderall, if someone could quickly go into a quick explanation about why they are so bad that would be great. Im just curious because i take it to study for tests (im a senior in college). The only thing i could see as to why it would be bad for people to take is because it suppresses hunger, but when I take it i still get very hungry and make sure to eat my meals. What other reasons are there for amphetamines to be so bad?[/quote]

or perhaps you yoursefl could do a quick google search and find a wealth of information. watching the surface of the brain on a spect scan while under the influence of amphetamines should scare the shit out of anyone

^ I did this, i find not much. Perhaps difficulty in understanding the SPECT scans. They clearly alter brain ACTIVITY somehow, but this was obvious, as they are psychoactive drugs by definition. But what does that actually mean in real terms?

I have no idea. Point me in the right direction perhaps?

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:
^ I did this, i find not much. Perhaps difficulty in understanding the SPECT scans. They clearly alter brain ACTIVITY somehow, but this was obvious, as they are psychoactive drugs by definition. But what does that actually mean in real terms?

I have no idea. Point me in the right direction perhaps?[/quote]

i always like to read the comments of people actually taking the drug…you will notice a trend here…short term users generally positive…long term users (as in ongoing therapy) generally regret it often with ongoing side effects even after discontinuation

also wylde i think you woudl very much enjoy the book “The Ultramind Solution” by Mark Hyman…i know i say it alot but its just because i truly believe that the data included can truly change your life and that of your loved ones.

https://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_gear/drugs_1?id=2206868&pageNo=0

Street drugs thread

[quote]morepain wrote:

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:

I have no idea. Point me in the right direction perhaps?[/quote]

i always like to read the comments of people actually taking the drug…you will notice a trend here…short term users generally positive…long term users (as in ongoing therapy) generally regret it often with ongoing side effects even after discontinuation

[/quote]

yeah… thsese are some of the things i’m aware of. And for sure i would caution ANYONE agains long use of ANY of these drugs. I don’t think i partake in long term use of ANY drugs - i’m not even like that with steroids. Not even weed or NOTHING. Sorta 70% time sober YMMV

My opinion of these drugs falls in the middle. I have extensive experience with the two primary stimulant ADHD meds: methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) and amphetamines (Adderall). I’ve been prescribed each before and with regards to the original question, I agree with others in that I found short-term/intermittent/occasional use to be largely positive with the only drawback being a bit of a crash afterwards.

It certainly helped me with schoolwork and staying on task with a variety of daily activities. When I later went on to prolonged, daily use of these meds I did not have such a favorable experience although I’d still say it was mostly positive (I currently don’t use either on a frequent basis). Sometimes I’d feel a little more edgy than I’d like and frankly I didn’t like the thought of taking a powerful stimulant on a daily basis. But I don’t view these meds as inherently evil.

I know many others for whom these meds have been very beneficial. I have not seen any of the brain scan images and I will look into those, as I’ve always found morepain’s posts to be valuable and informative. Another thing to keep in mind is that before the widespread diagnoses of ADD/ADHD and their accompanying medications, many people of the baby boom generation used Dexedrine (also an amphetamine) in a similar fashion to the way people nowadays use Adderall.

I believe Hugh Heffner (blessed be his name) stated that he was a heavy dexedrine user in the early days of his journalism/publication career.
And for the record, I never noticed anything in the way of benefits in the gym from these substances so I would not recommend that anyone use them for that purpose.

it makes you not wanna eat. it makes you not wanna sleep. working out on it is like begging for a heart attack.
thats the formula for getting unbuff.

oh and yeah… i know 5 people who take adderall. none of them have ADD. they use it for fun and they use it to help with study.

1. adderall is not study aid. it is for people who have a “disorder.”
  2. it can be used recreationally which generally leads to…
  3. …abuse. i know a guy who stays up for days straight on adderall. ive known him for about 3 months, and ive heard him say twice that he’s been up for two days straight. his roomate has said that he’s been up for 8 days before. another guy i know who does aderall has told me he usually sleeps around noon the next day when he has his fun with it.
  4. adderall is not a fix, it is a patch. therefore, you have to keep taking it to get its therapeutic effects… this coupled with the fact that, like cocaine, its cousin, it has a high tendency for building dependence and tolerance on its users.

who wants to be long term, abusive, DEPENDENT user of a substance that in similar doeses, is basically cocaine? some people argue that its not meant for long term use; this doesnt even make sense. of course its for long term use, it doesnt work unless you take it. you stop taking the pill and voila youre unfocused and un-driven again. the drug is fine. really. everything is fine so long as its used therapeutically while minimizing side effects. unfortunately, using amphetamines responsibly like this is very difficult for most; people like the sideeffects, they like the rush… its just the nature of that drug.

these are some of the reasons why i feel adderall bad for you.

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:

[quote]jck524 wrote:
Im interested as to why so many of you are against the use of adderall, if someone could quickly go into a quick explanation about why they are so bad that would be great. Im just curious because i take it to study for tests (im a senior in college). The only thing i could see as to why it would be bad for people to take is because it suppresses hunger, but when I take it i still get very hungry and make sure to eat my meals. What other reasons are there for amphetamines to be so bad?[/quote]

yes, please do enlighten us steroid users…[/quote]

Yes, that is only the mood altering and potential for abuse. Don’t forget:

1. High blood pressure

2. Heart Attack

3. Arrythmia

4. Stroke

5. Aneurysm

6. Psychosis

All that stuff… Just thought I would mention it since I didn’t see it mentioned any where what the potential side effects are of long-term use of amphetamine.

Side effects of not taking adderall- making poor grades and working for $8/hr for the rest of your life. I’ll take my chances with the meds, when it comes time to study :slight_smile:

are you saying that you are ill-equipped mentally to handle life challenges without the use of mentally stimulating drugs? do you HONESTLY believe that? you might need to re-consider this mentality my friend. because 1. if you are incorrect, and are actually smart and focused enough to be able to handle your shit… BELIEVING you cant and DEPENDING on a magic cure drug paves the way for ACTUALLY being unable to handle your life challenges without the drug. im sure youve heard of “whether you think you can, or cannot, youre right” - Henry Ford. i wholeheartedly believe in this. 2. if you are correct and actually are just not that smart or efficient with your study… you would have paved the same road. either way, i think people who use adderall as a study aid are walking a very fine and dark line. its hard to see that you are giving up a part of yourself by taking this drug for mental enhancement…because all you see at any present time are progress with grades and an overall increase in productivity; but of course. its hard to foresee psychological changes in the person such as dependence. pfft… most people who are actually currently dependent cant even see that they are.

im a person who would rarely say the word “cheating.” i feel that you do what you can to be the best you can (within the reason of a good hearted human being.) but when “cheating” on cognitive applications… i think you would have to have been smart enough to foresee that something like adderall can have really shitty effects on your gusto and self-belief / confidence in the future. i think people that use adderall for study need to be careful as to not develop a mental dependence…and this is very difficult for most… as with anything this powerful at creating positive changes in your study and bank account, i think its damn near impossible.

and god forbid you fall off of walking that fine and dark line onto the side of psychological and physiological dependence… but if you do, youre fucked… your life is fucked. even if you are well off with all the money you made from so smart in college and getting the high paying job… youre still fucked. you gotta remember that adderall is basically re-branded, re-packaged cocaine… and it creates a PERMANENT chemical imbalance in the human brain when abused / or used for extended periods of time. life in its essential form is a cognitive experience…when youre mentally fucked… it wont matter how much you have in the bank; many wealthy people have committed suicide.

i wont pretend to be a doctor that has examined you and tell you that i think you are becoming or already dependent on your adderall… but it kinda sounds like it.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Side effects of not taking adderall- making poor grades and working for $8/hr for the rest of your life. I’ll take my chances with the meds, when it comes time to study :)[/quote]

I don’t get addicted to things, never have, just not in my nature. I get your point though. Studying/school comes easily to some people, I know I’m of above average intelligence but these tasks are very difficult for me. You know what my exam was on this morning? Fucking Greek art and archeology, probably the most boring subject I’ve ever been forced to study in my life. No way in hell could I have memorized the 72 terms and the identifications/cultural periods/significances of 94 images that I needed to to do well on the exam without some extra help. This is what I use adderall for, gives me a kick in the ass and let’s me put on the studying afterburners for 4-5 hours.

If studying or school work has never been an issue for you I can understand your stance.

please get off your sanctimonoious high horse.

im not on a high horse…and most definitely not of the sanctimonious variety. i’ve had issues with habit / dependence forming drugs in the past; for fun and for “progress”… and i cant help but notice how my attitude about my abilities and motivation have changed, especially on “needing” something to “something” i have to constantly keep myself in check…its all mental… nobody sees it but me, and it sucks. now mind you, i didnt go off into the deep end on these substances… but i know people who have and they have nothing but horrible things to say about advanced stages of chemical dependence on amphetamine substances, furthermore, the damage is lasting.

i started this whole health kick thing because i wanted to change my life into one that is positive, one that is without dependence and bad habits. around 2 years ago, i found myself in very negative, pessimistic, and a generally “unable” way of thinking; the world was after me and i didnt know why. i kept wondering why shit kept falling out the sky when im around. i later came to the conclusion that it was the chemicals that was causing it… i did research and found that symtoms for such chemical abuse were very much like what i was going through. so then i took the chemicals out of my life and things got a whole lot better… but not as it was prior to my chemical excursions. i now have to keep myself in check as to not think the way a “dependent” does… i often have to stop myself from thinking that I “need” sometihng in order to accomplish something or feel a certain way…its really fucked up man.

now i know that everybody handles substances differently. just because person A lost complete control of his or her life influenced by a substance, this doesnt mean that person B will suffer the same consequence. the problem with drugs though is that you dont know how your body will react to it until after the fact. furthermore, with drugs like amphetamines, the damages usually last the person’s entire life. its like russian roulette; you dont know if anything will happen, but if something does happen, it changes everything (whether or not you have the mental ability to notice that everything has changed.) amphetamines like adderall are crazy powerful dependence forming drugs. you have to truly be honest with yourself and in self-assesment of your symptoms when considering getting on this medication. and if you do get on the medication… you as well have to carefully asses your tolerance and dependence (which is very difficult to do)… the list of danges with the drug just goes on. and with the number of new prescriptions for adderall and similar drugs every year, it shows people are more and more lax about it, and lax is not an appropriate approach to the use of something like adderall.

5 years ago, i knew nobody that had a prescription to adderall, a pill or two showed up every once in a while… but it was rare to find somebody who has a prescription. now, everybody and their lawn-care technician has a script for it.

thats long enough…

anyhow, i apologize for sounding like i am on a high horse…i can see how it can come off like that, but i genuinely just would like to try and keep what happened to me and some others i know from happening to anybody else, if i can help it.

I don’t feel your posts are sanctimonious at all, spinsykel, and I think some folks would greatly benefit from heeding your warnings. Thanks for the time you are spending here. I’ve been down those paths, myself. I’ve known others who’ve been down those paths, too, who weren’t as lucky as I was. Amphetamines are bad news, period. They will never stop being that alluring, though.

Way, if you want an EXCELLENT study aid, start poking around some of the old nootropics threads here, and get ahold of some modafinil. Much, much, much, much better than any adderal or ritalin, like a thousand million times.

I agree completely cortes…what spinsykle has done is provide very good information in what i see as a very diplomatic fashion…not sure how that equates to being “on his high horse”.

i guess its one of those thing s that if you never use it you never miss it. i managed to finish an engineering degree, a leadership degree, and an MBA all while working full time…really was difficult at times but certainly not impossible. And i am certainly not making $8.00 per hour.

well i do think he’s being sanctimonoius. And preachy to boot. Rendering his posts with moral equivalence. Life is full of self-assessed risks, and this is just one of them.

I mean jesus, this ain’t crack-cocaine.

IMO of course.

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:
well i do think he’s being sanctimonoius. And preachy to boot. Rendering his posts with moral equivalence. Life is full of self-assessed risks, and this is just one of them.

IMO of course.[/quote]

EDIT

NM

youre not worth it

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WyldFlower wrote:

IMO of course.[/quote]

No one actually cares what you think though… [/quote]

LOL!

[quote]Cortes wrote:
I don’t feel your posts are sanctimonious at all, spinsykel, and I think some folks would greatly benefit from heeding your warnings. Thanks for the time you are spending here. I’ve been down those paths, myself. I’ve known others who’ve been down those paths, too, who weren’t as lucky as I was. Amphetamines are bad news, period. They will never stop being that alluring, though.

Way, if you want an EXCELLENT study aid, start poking around some of the old nootropics threads here, and get ahold of some modafinil. Much, much, much, much better than any adderal or ritalin, like a thousand million times.

[/quote]

I’ve looked into the modafinil but I’m very skeptical about doing the old google searches looking for a source, so I just kinda forgot about it.