T Nation

Heard 3 Techniques, Which Is Correct?

I’ve heard (3 options) that when you work out, you must do the following in the specified order:

Option 1) Start with light weights, increase to heavy weights, and back down to light weights and end workout.

Option 2) Start with heavy weights then down to light weights and end workout.

Option 3) Start with light weights and increase to heavy weights and end workout.

Which one of these is correct to build muscle mass?

Option 1) read this

Option 2) learn to use the search function.

[quote]newbod_e wrote:
I’ve heard (3 options) that when you work out, you must do the following in the specified order:
[/quote]

With a few rare exceptions, anytime someone tells you that you must do things in a specific order, they’re either trying to sell you something or aren’t as informed as they think they are.

[quote]
Option 1) Start with light weights, increase to heavy weights, and back down to light weights and end workout.

Option 2) Start with heavy weights then down to light weights and end workout.

Option 3) Start with light weights and increase to heavy weights and end workout.

Which one of these is correct to build muscle mass?[/quote]

Well, you are going to have to start with light weights (to warm-up the muscles/nervous system/joints) in order to prepare them for the heavier weights to come, and to prevent injury. But, I’m not completely sure what exactly your examples mean.

Do you mean that you do working sets with light weights/high reps and then another exercise with heavy weights? Or are you talking about warming up with light weights first, then using heavier weights on the same exercise?

If you are talking about the light weights and heavy weights as being separate exercises, then all of the above methods can work. The one you pick will be a matter of preference.

i think he means like for example on straight sets would he go heavy and then decrease weight or increase weight as he goes throught the reps. Im preety sure both can be used

I mean for a workout session. So lets say the workout consists of 3 sets of 10 reps. So for the first set, you would use 10 lbs, then for the second set you would use 20 lbs, and finally for the last set you would use 30 lbs and finish the workout.

Or is it better to go from 30 lbs sets to 20 lbs sets to 10 lbs sets and finish the workout?

Or is it better to go from 10 lbs sets to 20 lbs sets and back down to 10 lbs and finish the workout?

Read the article I posted. Then search for more.

Like they said, they are all good. Everything works.

Depends on your goals.

[quote]newbod_e wrote:
I mean for a workout session. So lets say the workout consists of 3 sets of 10 reps. So for the first set, you would use 10 lbs, then for the second set you would use 20 lbs, and finally for the last set you would use 30 lbs and finish the workout.

Or is it better to go from 30 lbs sets to 20 lbs sets to 10 lbs sets and finish the workout?

Or is it better to go from 10 lbs sets to 20 lbs sets and back down to 10 lbs and finish the workout?

[/quote]

The first option. You wouldn’t want to just pick up the 30 pounders without having sufficiently warmed up yet and just do a working set with them. You might be okay when you first start training, as you won’t be lifting much weight. But if you continue that habit, you’re gonna wind up hurting yourself later down the road.

The first option is call “ramping” and is used by quite a few BB’ers. It’s also pretty much the way most (if not all) experienced lifters prepare themselves for their heavier sets (warm-up).

The third option would be “drop sets” or “burn out sets”. Basically it’s a method of pumping more blood into the muscles and prolonging the “Time Under Tension (TUT)”. This also serves to hit the smaller, more fatigue resistant fibers.

Honestly though I don’t think you need to worry about doing drop sets. Seeing as you are a beginner, I’d suggest doing the ramping option if you are going to choose any of the three.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
newbod_e wrote:

The first option. You wouldn’t want to just pick up the 30 pounders without having sufficiently warmed up yet and just do a working set with them. You might be okay when you first start training, as you won’t be lifting much weight. But if you continue that habit, you’re gonna wind up hurting yourself later down the road.

The first option is call “ramping” and is used by quite a few BB’ers. It’s also pretty much the way most (if not all) experienced lifters prepare themselves for their heavier sets (warm-up).

The third option would be “drop sets” or “burn out sets”. Basically it’s a method of pumping more blood into the muscles and prolonging the “Time Under Tension (TUT)”. This also serves to hit the smaller, more fatigue resistant fibers.

Honestly though I don’t think you need to worry about doing drop sets. Seeing as you are a beginner, I’d suggest doing the ramping option if you are going to choose any of the three.[/quote]

Thanks, very informative. I recently started to do the “ramping” technique… before it was just start with heavy and end with heavy… glad I know not to do that anymore.