T Nation

Healthy Weight at 6 Feet Tall?

What does everyone consider a healthy weight for a person that is 6 feet tall? I am currently 210 and would like to eventually hit 250 but I am wondering how healthy this is for my heart and joints. I would describe my bone structure as small to medium, and I would probably walk around at 170 if I didn’t workout or eat as much as I do. Heart disease runs in my family and my systolic BP is always high on those automated machines that you find in drug stores, (high 130s, low 140s), so this concerns me a bit as it was not this high back when I was in highschool (around 160 lbs then and 5 years ago).

You do know those machines in stores to check BP are for people with 14 or 15 inch arms right? Larger arms throw off all measurements.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
You do know those machines in stores to check BP are for people with 14 or 15 inch arms right? Larger arms throw off all measurements.[/quote]

I can’t even get my forearm into those machines. As far as what weight is “healthy” for someone, anyone who tells you that there is some specific cut off for all people of a certain height is either an idiot or very uninformed. What is “healthy” for one person may not be for someone else.

The previous poster is correct, however. People with more muscle mass than average should get their blood pressure tested by a professional or at least be informed enough to do it correctly on their own. I have to use a leg cuff to get my bp taken properly.

A cuff that is too small for your arm will give you a reading that is falsely high. A cuff that is too large will give a reading that is falsely low. That means use the right cuff and don’t exaggerate the size of your arm or underestimate it.

Ya I know those machines are made for small arms and ya my arm is too big for it, as I have to force it in, and I do know that it makes a difference but the size of the difference in the reading I don’t know, would it be that much?

By the way how big is your forearm profx that you can’t fit it in those cuffs? I think anything under 17" could be squeezed into them, very tight but doable.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
You do know those machines in stores to check BP are for people with 14 or 15 inch arms right? Larger arms throw off all measurements.[/quote]

Actually, astoundingly, the directions on one I saw said it was only valid for people with arm circumference UNDER 13 INCHES. Surely the average adult male has an arm over 13 inches?

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
Raimisch wrote:
You do know those machines in stores to check BP are for people with 14 or 15 inch arms right? Larger arms throw off all measurements.

Actually, astoundingly, the directions on one I saw said it was only valid for people with arm circumference UNDER 13 INCHES. Surely the average adult male has an arm over 13 inches?[/quote]

We had a huge debate about this last year and amazingly, SEVERAL people logged on to debate that 13" was not below average for a man and that my claim that 15" should be attainable without weights was preposterous. I have lost faith in current society.

Joe, as far as what mine measure, if my arm is bent my forearms are just over 17" and if you have to “squeeze” your arms into the damn machine, you need to quit trying to use it.

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
Actually, astoundingly, the directions on one I saw said it was only valid for people with arm circumference UNDER 13 INCHES. Surely the average adult male has an arm over 13 inches?[/quote]

Yeah the one at my local stop and shop says for the average adult arm “9 to 13 inches.”

[quote]Professor X wrote:
We had a huge debate about this last year and amazingly, SEVERAL people logged on to debate that 13" was not below average for a man and that my claim that 15" should be attainable without weights was preposterous. I have lost faith in current society.[/quote]

Sadly as it may be… I actually do not think that 13" is below average for an adult male. If it is, it’s just because fat people have big arms too. People would say that I had muscular or big arms even when they only measured like 14". Now granted I have always been pretty lean so they have a little more definition, but still, I definitely would put 13" at or even a little below the adult male average.

Also, I bought an ice sleeve for my shoulder, it kinda wraps around the upper arm and shoulder region. The “extra large” size was recommend for people with 14"-16" arms.

Don’t underestimate the untrained populace.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Joe, as far as what mine measure, if my arm is bent my forearms are just over 17"[/quote]

given that we all go through sarcopenia later in life, my philosophy is to get as much muscle mass on you while you’re young and can do so, all the while maintaining a healthy diet (not forgetting veggies + fruits + good fats) and consistent cardio.

what did your family physician tell ya?

f

[quote]florianopolis wrote:
given that we all go through sarcopenia later in life, my philosophy is to get as much muscle mass on you while you’re young and can do so, all the while maintaining a healthy diet (not forgetting veggies + fruits + good fats) and consistent cardio.

what did your family physician tell ya?

f

[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense. I remember reading one of Art De Vany’s articles, and he stated that the amount of muscle you carry is correlated to your immune system and how well it combats pathogens. Very interesting.

I’m going to hazard an uneducated guess and say that whatever you can get to, while reasonably lean, while maintaining cardio adaptations, without injected or illegal supplementation is probably fine.

In other words, if your body is willing to carry the muscle, and you don’t load it down with fat, it’s probably alright for people without existing medical conditions.

Any more caveats I need to add?

I like my answer, because it means you can do whatever the hell you want as long as you stay “fit”. Gotta like that!

Hehe my forearm is 15 in and Im a lean 195. Professor x is only 2 inches bigger and much much heavier than that. And right now my upper arms are only 15 inches (still a bit of atrophy). My forearm is just as big as my upper arm. I realllllly need to get a girlfriend :[

HOLY SHIT!

I just measured my forearm and the skinny fuckin thing only measured 12.9 inches :frowning:

Granted i have 18.3inch arms.

Being tall isnt all flowers and roses people :frowning:

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
Heart disease runs in my family and my systolic BP is always high on those automated machines that you find in drug stores, (high 130s, low 140s) [/quote]

Even though those machines are probably somewhat inaccurate it is a concern if you are in the 140s. I don’t know if you have been to a doctor in a while, but what is your systolic/diastolic blood pressure?

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Professor X wrote:
We had a huge debate about this last year and amazingly, SEVERAL people logged on to debate that 13" was not below average for a man and that my claim that 15" should be attainable without weights was preposterous. I have lost faith in current society.

Sadly as it may be… I actually do not think that 13" is below average for an adult male. If it is, it’s just because fat people have big arms too.

[/quote]

Then I would qualify the statement with “13” arms are below average for the average male who isn’t sedentary and is involved in some physical manual labor on a regular basis". We have all seen those guys who never lift anything but pencils and hardly exercise who have arms that may be under 12". I don’t know why someone would consider that “average” unless our entire species is now so weak as a whole that the concept of “average” involves someone who doesn’t move at all. If things have gotten that bad, we have no place to go but down.

I would hope MOST of the guys in the military (across all branches) at least have arms bigger than 13".

It may just be a personal bias, but I never considered 15" arms impressive or that they took any significant time to build unless your genetic makeup is so poor that any muscle gains at all are an achievement.

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
Joe84 wrote:
Heart disease runs in my family and my systolic BP is always high on those automated machines that you find in drug stores, (high 130s, low 140s)

Even though those machines are probably somewhat inaccurate it is a concern if you are in the 140s. I don’t know if you have been to a doctor in a while, but what is your systolic/diastolic blood pressure?

[/quote]

Last time I did it on a mahcine I got something like 137/80. Last time I had blood work at hospital, which was my first time ever, was last year and the dr just said that everything was fine.

I should also mention that when I said heart diseases runs in the family, I was referring to my father who has had one heart attack, and as a result had a stent placed in an artery when he was around 50. He’s 60 now and hasn’t had any problems since.

I’m not sure if it was his eating habits or genetic, when he was younger he would eat large amounts of meat, (like a large frying pan for supper every night), and he would eat alot of sweets for dinner and on his breaks at work, he’s since stopped that though.

He never did exercise specifically but he swung a hammer all his life and spent his free time working on old vehicles, so he was in good shape strength wise, not sure about how his cardio though, perhaps that and his eating habits is why he had his heart attack, what do you think?