Healthy Waffle Recipe?

Anyone have a healthy waffle recipe they can share? I have a nice waffle maker and my kids like Eggos, so I was hoping to make up a big batch of healthy waffles to keep in the freezer.

It doesn’t have to be low carb or low fat, just healthy ingredients. I’m thinking some mashed bananas, pulverized oatmeal, Grow!, etc.

Before I start experimenting, I thought I’d see if anyone already had a good recipe. Thanks!

I’d go with some egg whites(maybe a whole egg or two), ground oatmeal or whole wheat flour, and potentially cinnamon to give it that extra zing. Any other ingredients are personal preference, but those listed above are all you really need.

2 cups Reduced-Fat Bisquick mix

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)

1 cup skim milk

1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg

Here is a semi-healthy recipe. I have also substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the Bisquick. Enjoy!

Bob’s Red Mill has a pancake/waffle mix that I feed my boys. The nutrional profile is pretty decent.

I made some AWESOME post workout waffles the other day with lots of egg whites, a few scoops of banana Grow!, and some pancake mix. I don’t know if much of the protein survived the griddle but they tasted amazing. But those arn’t for all the time.

I don’t see why you couldn’t just take a waffle recipe and use whole wheat flour instead? Maybe throw some oats in there too.

Jill Been a bit since I made any but Yes you can make some AWESOME waffles.

I just used a ton of good stuff. Like said above grind Oats in a coffe grinder, I also used buckwheat flour, eggwhites and Grow!. A great addition would be nutbutters, flax etc for good fats.

Just have fun eh’

Some will be better than Others

Sorry for not knowing how to make it, but I saw an awesome waffle recipe using sweet potatoes on Alton Brown’s “Good Eats” the other night. You should check that one out…

I got this one from an old thread on here and emailed it to myself – I can’t remember who originated it, so my apologies in advance for no accreditation:

In a blender mix:
1 scoop vanilla Grow!
1 cup oatmeal (or oatbran if you can find it - Trader Joe’s sells it)
4 egg whites
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

In a metal bowl beat 2 egg whites with an electric mixer until they are just starting to get stiff (just past the foamy stage) Pour the oatmeal mix into the egg whites and stir together.

coat a waffle maker with grapeseed-oil (lighter taste) spray or olive-oil spray and scoop in the mix.

You can’t omit the egg white step or they will be heavy rather than light and crispy. Makes about eight waffles.

Great recipes. I’m deffo trying them this weekend. I make pancakes all the time with Bisquick Reduced Fat mix, but it never occurred to me to throw in some Grow!.

I sub in egg-replacer egg substitute and soy milk. I also cook up some Morningstar fake bacon and throw some of those crumbles in as well for a bit of extra protein.

I know there’s been some debate on here regarding soy protein, but as a vegetarian (no fish either), I’m sort of in a corner on non-powder protein sources.

-1 egg
-1 scoop Vanilla Low-Carb Grow!
-2 tablespoons ground flax seed
-1 and 1/2 cup 1% milk
-2 cups Bisquick (I think that’s the amount)
-1/2 a handful frozen blueberries
-1 frozen strawberry, sliced
-1/2 a handful chocolate chips

Combine the egg, Grow!, flax, milk and bisquick as normal batter, mix well, put mixture onto the griddle, add blueberries and strawberry slices (or strawberry and chocolate chips for the kiddos!) Close the griddle, cook as normal.

My gal’s kids don’t even notice the protein. Once in a rare while, they’ll catch a flax seed cluster, but there’s no complaints.

[quote]LaJollaJoe wrote:
Great recipes. I’m deffo trying them this weekend. I make pancakes all the time with Bisquick Reduced Fat mix, but it never occurred to me to throw in some Grow!.

I sub in egg-replacer egg substitute and soy milk. I also cook up some Morningstar fake bacon and throw some of those crumbles in as well for a bit of extra protein.

I know there’s been some debate on here regarding soy protein, but as a vegetarian (no fish either), I’m sort of in a corner on non-powder protein sources.[/quote]

Ddddddddid you say soy milk?