T Nation

Healthy Sweet Treats Thread

Whole wheat toast, sprayed with spray-on fake-butter, and sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon.

I like the just-mentioned toast idea except I’d use coconut oil or real butter.

Yesterday I ate some chopped bananas with almond butter, drizzled in agave nectar (honey would work too), and sprinkled with bee pollen and cinnamon. It was damn good.

I also like mixing stevia and frozen blueberries, and then mixing in plain yogurt.

Really good dried figs are amazing. On their own. I love them and they’re really damn good for you.

I also chop apples into quarters, sprinkle the quarters with some sea salt, cinnamon and stevia, and then add plain yogurt - they’re really good if the apples are good and the yogurt is nice and tart. MMMMM.

Dates, raisins or nuts dipped in dark chocolate… also very yummy.

I made Berardi’s Lemon Cheesecake this morning, its in the fridge and should be ready to eat for dessert tonight. Main ingredient is cottage cheese.

Something like 350 cals, 57g protein, 8g carbs, 7g fat. I’m looking forward to it.

I have a million!

Protein pudding (amazing stuff!!)

Quark (or yogurt) mixed with dark unsweetened cocoa and equal

Coffee with sugar free syrup and cream (iced is amazing)

Any fruit!!

baked yams with cinnamon and splenda

just a few…now I’m getting too hungry!

up up up

Healthy & Delicious Fruit Cake

3 cups raisins
1/2 lb. dates, finely chopped
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups wholewheat flour
2 cups water
6 Tbsp. orange rind, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil or butter
1/2 cup walnuts or other nuts - use more if you love nuts!
2 tsp. baking soda

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease baking pan.

• Combine raisins, water, dates, orange rind, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon together in a large saucepan and boil for 5 minutes.

• Add oil to boiled mixture.

• Remove from heat and cool thoroughly.

• When cool, add vanilla and mix well. Then add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared baking pan.

• Bake at 350 for approximately 90 minutes.

Basically the conclusion I came to is that if it tastes good, it’s bad. So just give up the idea of enjoying food. Eat only things that taste like sand and tree bark and all will be well.

I gave up dessert foods for a year and really it was only hard for the first week or so. After that your body adapts to not craving the excess sugar. The only downside is at family gatherings where an overzealous aunt endeavors to get you to eat her homemade desserts because she can’t and never will understand the health fanatic diet.

we should get a recipe thread going- or is there one…

[quote]slickid wrote:
This thread is dedicated to helping those lifters who suffer from CSTS or Chronic Sweet Tooth Syndrome.

I’ve tried quitting sweet foods cold and have gone for a month with out them but I still can’t shake the habit.

SO! this thread’s purpose is help out fellow brethren with HEALTHY ideas and alternatives to the sweet succulent morsels of jelly-belly building foods. AKA cookies, peanut butter, candy bars, ice cream, suckers, M&Ms, Skittles, starbursts, chocolate, donuts, danishes, pastries, brownies, cake, cup-cakes, taffy, salt-water taffy, super rope, pie, so on and so fourth.

Current collective ideas are as follows:

1. Raisins
  2. Frozen grapes
  3. Frozen strawberries
  4. Cinnamon sugar rice cakes
  5. Sorts of sugar free pudding
  6. Low carb cheesecake
  7. Dried Fruit
  8. Dark Chocolate (small amounts)
  9. Apple Sauce
  10. Homemade fruit juice Popsicles
  11. Whole Wheat toast with goodies

Your ideas will be added! [/quote]

how can you cut out peanut butter!

try this:
cottage cheese
chocolate Metabolic Drive
low carb yougurt
peanut butter
frozen raspberries

all this = the shit!

Similar ideas have been mentioned, but a specific “sweet treat” I like is what I call a “smoothie”:

+yogurt (I use vanilla, normal fat, but one can use lowfat or nofat)
+frozen fruit (frozen makes it more like a milkshake, you can buy fresh fruit and freeze it or buy frozen offseason):
-blueberries
-strawberries
-cherries
-raspberries
-banana
-etc. ( even orange juice concentrate)

+add some Grow! or similar supplement.

Blend til smooth.

I don’t add any sweetener, but one could (or add more “sweet” fruit).

It’s thick and rich, similar to a milkshake.

[quote]Nick Danger wrote:
Similar ideas have been mentioned, but a specific “sweet treat” I like is what I call a “smoothie”:

+yogurt (I use vanilla, normal fat, but one can use lowfat or nofat)
+frozen fruit (frozen makes it more like a milkshake, you can buy fresh fruit and freeze it or buy frozen offseason):
-blueberries
-strawberries
-cherries
-raspberries
-banana
-etc. ( even orange juice concentrate)

+add some Grow! or similar supplement.

Blend til smooth.

I don’t add any sweetener, but one could (or add more “sweet” fruit).

It’s thick and rich, similar to a milkshake.[/quote]

I do something similar to this. I put in a few cubes of ice, some regular milk or soy milk, two scoops of vanilla protein powder, a banana, and 4-6 strawberries. Then I blend it up. I use to add honey for extra sweetness, but I ceased doing that. It’s great either way really.

DATES are incredible… so sweet.

I try hard to fight the craving for sweets, because it’s true that the less sweets you eat, the less you crave them. The critical thing is to have resolve when grocery shopping… you can wreck your whole week, if you give in.

Most of the time, a chocolate-flavor protein shake is good enough to satisfy my cravings.

I haven’t tried making any of these recipes, but here’s where you can download John Berardi’s Gourmet Nutrition Desserts:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/desserts.html

Some things I like to try to appease my sweet tooth:

• protein shakes blended with milk, oats, and frozen fruit, avocado, natural PB or instant coffee… tons of variations
  • microwave some frozen strawberries, cut up and mix with cottage cheese

And if I’m still craving something, I don’t deny myself it… I just allow myself a small portion of whatever it is I’m craving.