Healthy Size and Mass for Teens

Hello,

What sort of program would you guys recommend for a 15 old put on some size and also athletic development?

Thank you

At your age, pretty much any program with a good progression plan + eating at a caloric surplus will lead to size gains. Pick a proven beginner program, stay on the program consistently and do stuff like sprints, steady paced cardio, cycling etc. on off days.

PLEASE do not post repeat threads. I try to answer as many people as I can but I do HATE it when people repost threads and I normally do not answer these people. I’ll give you a pass since you are young and new around here, but any repeated behavior will get you no answer from me… ever.

I agree with Furius… you mention being more athletic, so I will assume that you are playing sports. At your age it is NOT the time to undergo a training program specific for a sport. It’s the time to use weight lifting to get stronger and larger, period. Any specific gains in athleticism should be made by doing sprinting ands agility work once or twice per week.

Anyway at your level, just plain getting stronger is the best way to become a better athlete.

As such you should focus on becoming really good at the big basic movements:

• Squat\
  • Deadlift
  • Bench press
  • Military press
  • Barbell row
  • Chin-ups

If you have access to a competent coach you can also start to learn the power clean but do not train it heavy yet, just become really good at it.

I highly recommend ready the following article: https://www.t-nation.com/training/current-state-of-sc-coaching

The Starting Strength program by Mark Rippetoe is a good option to get started: Most Lifters are Still Beginners

1 Like

@Christian_Thibaudeau what are your thoughts on suggesting wb4sb to younger trainees with little experience to lifting?

NOT A CHANCE. Anything involving the maximum effort method should only be used with people who already have solid form on the big basics as well as experience with heavy lifting.

1 Like

Gotcha…

Don’/t be seduced by a program. Analyze your needs and your level and make the best choice for you at the moment.

1 Like

Thank for you the replies everyone! I’m sorry for the double post, won’t happen again.

If I was to go down the Thibs route with the squat, deadlift, bench press, military press, barbell row and chin ups instead of Mark Rippetoes starting strength program, how would you suggest I program this?

I believe there is a version of Starting Strength that has squat bench, rows and deads, military and chins as alternating movements.