Healthy Mayonnaise

I know the mayo out of the jar is bad for you, but my mom uses it to make tuna salad, chicken salad, etc…

Anyone have the recipe for making your own healthy mayo?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Anyone have the recipe for making your own healthy mayo?[/quote]

I don’t know about THE recipe, but here’s A recipe. It’s flavored, obviously, but you can modify it.
I use omega-3 eggs, extra-virgin olive oil, and lime juice instead of lemon (personal preferences).

[b]2 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
dash of paprika
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1/2 head roasted garlic

Place all ingredients except oil in blender. Blend on high until all ingredients are well blended. Add the oil in a slow steady stream. If the mayo is too thick add a few drops of lemon juice.[/b]

A lot of stores have canola oil based mayonaise. It’s a lot better than that soybean oil crap.

[quote]Rykker wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Anyone have the recipe for making your own healthy mayo?

I don’t know about THE recipe, but here’s A recipe. It’s flavored, obviously, but you can modify it.
I use omega-3 eggs, extra-virgin olive oil, and lime juice instead of lemon (personal preferences).

[b]2 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
dash of paprika
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1/2 head roasted garlic

Place all ingredients except oil in blender. Blend on high until all ingredients are well blended. Add the oil in a slow steady stream. If the mayo is too thick add a few drops of lemon juice.[/b] [/quote]

A more generic recipe is:

1 large egg
1 Tbsp acidifier (can be vinegar, lemon juice - I use white balsamic vinegar 'cause that’s what’s on my shelf)
1/4 tsp dry mustard
dash of paprika
1 Cup of any oil you want (I’ve used canola, almond and mild flavored olive oil all successfully - the only one I didn’t like was extra virgin olive oil. I found it overpowered the taste).

As above, add all the ingrediants except the egg. I use my stick blender to mix and pour the oil in slowly while blending. I haven’t had any problems w/ it keeping for a week.

Add or subtract stuff until you find the taste you like.

Martha

Oh, I forgot to mention - if you’re raw egg averse, I think you can sub a .25 cup of the eggs that come in a pourable container (can’t think of the name). I don’t worry about it, but then I’ve never had food poisoning.