Healthy Cooking Fats

Coconut oil. Virgin, unrefined. Maintains its structure well under heat. Is also a medium chain triglyceride, which means it’s sent directly into the portal vein to the liver where it is oxidized for fuel. Very hard to store as fat.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

Where do you get your lard? Store bought lard is hydrogenated to solidify the liquid fractions in the animal fat, which means that it creates some trans fats which should be absolutely off the table.
[/quote]

now this I didn’t know! Thanks

EDIT: well fuck me, supermarket lard is absolutely hydrogenated. Looks like it’s coconut oil for me from now on.

Or maybe tallow. Coconut oil’s kinda pricey.

DOUBLE EDIT: man, I’m totally pissed at the lard thing! I’ve been eating that shit for years and recommending all my clients eat it too. Feel like a god damn murderer.

Mertdawg, is tallow hydrogenated too? I’m struggling to find info[/quote]

I can’t find any, but keep in mind that only unsaturated (primarily PUFA) fatty acids can be hydrogenated, so since beef (especially grass fed) has far less unsaturated fatty acids than Pork there is less reason to hydrogenate them. It also looks like only the UFA’s can get spun around to form trans fatty acids.

If you save beef fat from cooking a hamburger or boiling ox-tail or braising ribs if should be one of the better choices. [/quote]

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=878

Tallow is rendered beef SUET.

Suet is not the typical external fat deposits found on steaks or roasts or what is rendered in the pan after cooking ground beef.

Suet is found in one specific location within carcass of the animal and that is surrounding the kidneys.

You can find beef suet in most supermarkets, especially during the winter months in colder locations, as there is a demand for it’s use in outdoor bird feeders.

Most likely, however, it will not be from grassfed sources

Had lardo when I was visiting the family in Italy, fucking delicious. Hard to find here in the states though. I know Amazon has some version of lard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OWDHQ6W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/189-6914644-8990616?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0ZF3QPGM86N5CPCTE9YR&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_i=B0005ZHBLG

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Had lardo when I was visiting the family in Italy, fucking delicious. Hard to find here in the states though. I know Amazon has some version of lard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OWDHQ6W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/189-6914644-8990616?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0ZF3QPGM86N5CPCTE9YR&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_i=B0005ZHBLG[/quote]
I don’t think lardo is a cooking fat, is it? It looks like the sala we have in Ukraine. You basically just eat raw fat. It’s awesome with garlic and coarse salt.

Anyway, I already ordered that stuff in your link and some duck fat. Will report back with results.

s owe’re satisfied that tallow won’t be hydrogenated?

Underrated healthy fat that tastes amazing: Cold pressed avocado oil… It tastes like liquid avocado and has this cool green colour.