Healthy Cooking Fats

I’ve been using grape seed oil and coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for salads and such. I just read on some paleo site that grape seed oil is as unhealthy as vegetable oil. Is that correct?

What fats do you guys cook with?

Coconut oil if on my own. Olive oil if cooking for the family (nobody else likes coconut oil). Either way, you can’t go wrong with those two. I don’t know much about grapeseed oil.

[quote]ChicagoLad wrote:
I just read on some paleo site that grape seed oil is as unhealthy as vegetable oil. Is that correct?[/quote]

It’s not as worthless as vegetable oils but its high PUFA content makes it rather poor choice for cooking, heating.

Coconut oil, butter/ghee, and occasionally macadamia nut oil are what I use.

lard

[quote]Yogi wrote:
lard[/quote]
This, tallow and bacon grease.

I hate the misconception that food items are healthy or unhealthy. Only people can be healthy or unhealthy. Most foods can contribute to health and ALL can detract from it.

Personally, I use mainly butter, coconut oil, and bacon grease for cooking.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I hate the misconception that food items are healthy or unhealthy. Only people can be healthy or unhealthy. Most foods can contribute to health and ALL can detract from it.

[/quote]

^This x100

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I hate the misconception that food items are healthy or unhealthy.
[/quote]

“Health” and “healthy” are nebulous terms to begin with.

Can the severely overweight person with good blood work, be considered healthy or not?

What about the contest shredded bodybuilder with high liver values?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I hate the misconception that food items are healthy or unhealthy.
[/quote]

“Health” and “healthy” are nebulous terms to begin with.

Can the severely overweight person with good blood work, be considered healthy or not?

What about the contest shredded bodybuilder with high liver values?[/quote]

Also is health long life, regardless of quality?

I mostly cook with coconut oil. It makes everything taste better.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
lard[/quote]

Where do you get your lard? Store bought lard is hydrogenated to solidify the liquid fractions in the animal fat, which means that it creates some trans fats which should be absolutely off the table.

If you render pork fat yourself, you may get up to 30% of that as omega-6 with the way we feed pigs, and even grain fed beef can have a high fraction of omega-6s.

I use
Grass fed cow butter
Olive oil
Macadamia
Avocado
Red Palm
Coconut

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
lard[/quote]
This, tallow and bacon grease. [/quote]
Where do you get this stuff?

[quote]ChicagoLad wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
lard[/quote]
Where do you get this stuff?[/quote]

Have you ever cooked bacon before??

There’s tons of grease left in the pan. Afterwards, transfer the grease into a jar and it will solidify at room temperature

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

Where do you get your lard? Store bought lard is hydrogenated to solidify the liquid fractions in the animal fat, which means that it creates some trans fats which should be absolutely off the table.
[/quote]

now this I didn’t know! Thanks

EDIT: well fuck me, supermarket lard is absolutely hydrogenated. Looks like it’s coconut oil for me from now on.

Or maybe tallow. Coconut oil’s kinda pricey.

DOUBLE EDIT: man, I’m totally pissed at the lard thing! I’ve been eating that shit for years and recommending all my clients eat it too. Feel like a god damn murderer.

Mertdawg, is tallow hydrogenated too? I’m struggling to find info

If you guys want lard or tallow check eBay. It is usually sold by small farms.

*Variety of animals as well.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]ChicagoLad wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
lard[/quote]
Where do you get this stuff?[/quote]

Have you ever cooked bacon before??

There’s tons of grease left in the pan. Afterwards, transfer the grease into a jar and it will solidify at room temperature[/quote]
I haven’t found bacon that doesn’t have nitrites, so I stopped cooking with it. But when I ate bacon, I’d cook my eggs in the fat.

Is this duck fat good to use? I can’t find any non-hydrogenated lard to use on Amazon.

I use grapseed oil, coconut oil and peanut oil for my meals. I recommend avocado oil but it’s kinda of expensive here in Costa Rica.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[/quote]

EDIT: well fuck me, supermarket lard is absolutely hydrogenated. Looks like it’s coconut oil for me from now on.

DOUBLE EDIT: man, I’m totally pissed at the lard thing! I’ve been eating that shit for years and recommending all my clients eat it too. Feel like a god damn murderer.

Mertdawg, is tallow hydrogenated too? I’m struggling to find info[/quote]

I can’t find any, but keep in mind that only unsaturated (primarily PUFA) fatty acids can be hydrogenated, so since beef (especially grass fed) has far less unsaturated fatty acids than Pork there is less reason to hydrogenate them. It also looks like only the UFA’s can get spun around to form trans fatty acids.

If you save beef fat from cooking a hamburger or boiling ox-tail or braising ribs if should be one of the better choices.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[/quote]

Mertdawg, is tallow hydrogenated too? I’m struggling to find info[/quote]

I can’t find any, but keep in mind that only unsaturated (primarily PUFA) fatty acids can be hydrogenated, so since beef (especially grass fed) has far less unsaturated fatty acids than Pork there is less reason to hydrogenate them. It also looks like only the UFA’s can get spun around to form trans fatty acids.

If you save beef fat from cooking a hamburger or boiling ox-tail or braising ribs if should be one of the better choices. [/quote]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Back-Lard-/171628877113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f5e0d539