T Nation

Healthy Caloric Foods that Don't Require Cooking

I want to gain weight, but I don't want to eat foods that are high in saturated fat and cholesterol due to already having a family history of heart disease, even though I am young, healthy, fit, and have always had a healthy diet (occasionally having cheat meals about once every 1-2 weeks).

I know that there are healthy foods that have a lot of calories such as lean turkey or chicken breasts, eggs, pasta, brown rice, etc. However those foods require cooking which I don't always have time for. So what would be high calorie foods that are not only healthy, but also do not require cooking?

Avocados,various nuts and seeds, that's all I could think of.

Fats tend to be your friend...
Nuts/seeds/nut butters... I think if you choose anything but peanuts (macadamia, almonds, etc.), it's supposed to be good for your heart.
Likewise, adding olive oil to anything (like a can of beans).
Dried/raw fruits, or w/ nuts = trail mix
granola/cereal (raisin bran has more carbs than kid's cereals)
heavy breads
avocado
cheese
rice cakes (not that high cal, though)
dark, non milk, chocolate
yogurt
cottage cheese
wheat germ (you can add it to yogurt/whatever)
raw veggies and dressing
tahini, hummus
packaged bars

all of the above plus ham, canned salmon, coconut oil + cocoa powder, beef jerky etc.
Add celery sticks/fresh kale plus fruit/prunes/ for a more complete snack

The first thing I would do is rid yourself of the idea that saturated fat and cholesterol are bad for you. They aren't. Shitty food (McDonald's fries) is bad for you, but it's not because of the saturated fat or cholesterol.

Many good suggestions have already been listed here.

Well, I know that we all need to consume a certain amount of saturated fat and cholesterol to be healthy. However, consuming too much will eventually clog your arteries.

No. Dietary saturated fat and cholesterol have little to nothing to do with heart disease.

Don't be worrying about them saturated fats.

See this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2014-03-18-saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven/

CONCLUSION

"In contrast to current recommendations, this systematic review found no evidence that saturated fat increases the risk of coronary disease, or that polyunsaturated fats have a cardioprotective effect.

Similarly, there was no significant association between the levels of total omega-3 or omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids and coronary disease. This lack of association was seen in both cohort studies, which looked at dietary intake or circulating levels the in blood, and in randomised controlled trials that had looked at the effect of supplementation.

There was also no significant association between total saturated fatty acids and coronary risk, both in studies using dietary intake and in those using circulating biomarkers. In addition, there was no significant association between total monounsaturated fatty acids and coronary risk ? again, both in studies using dietary intake and those studying fatty acid composition."

That being said, feel free to indulge in whole milk, half and half and heavy whipping cream. High calorie and no prep required.

Drink your oats. I buy the tubs of quick oats and chop them even more, almost into a flour, using a spice grinder. Then I just drink em with water, no need to cook.

Yeah, no.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900711003145

*Edited to add: actually read the link from MrMuzik above, that's probably a bit easier to digest.

Yeah, but read this on Wikipedia, specifically on the part that mentions Dr. Willett's criticism of Chowdhury's 2014 studies:

Yeah, but read this on Wikipedia, specifically on the part that mentions Dr. Willett's criticism of Chowdhury's 2014 studies:

my favourite high calorie food source is fudge.

Nuts and dried fruit.

How do you figure these are calorie dense foods? You need to eat 6 pounds of chicken breast to get to 3000 calories. Foods with fats are calories dense; foods that are mostly protein are not, relatively speaking, calorie dense.

I do this with chocolate milk, delicious!