Shoulder and Low Back Warm-Up

Press: 45x20, 95x8, 135x3 [tweaked shoulder]
Back Fly: 3x15

Deadlift: 45x2x20, 135x10, 225x3, 275x3
McGill Curl-Up: 80 total seconds

Lateral Raise: 35,50,60
Chin-Ups: 3x12

Exercise Bike: 20 minutes

Hey folks. So I’m thinking of changing things up. I’ve been feeling burnt out and tired for the past few weeks, and I tweaked my shoulder today. It might be a combination of school stress, less sleep, and shite diet. I view tweaks as my body’s way of gently reminding me to prioritize recovery.

With this in mind, I’m going to focus more on recovery and sensible training. I’m going to switch back to 5/3/1 because it’s hard to completely fuck up if I run it according to Jim’s principles. Updates as to what I’m thinking incoming.

1 Like

Looks like everyone is switching back to Jim !!

1 Like

Yeah Jim is the man. It’s nice and easy to manipulate to what you like.

1 Like

Simple slow progression on the big 3 is what makes Jim the man.

2 Likes

The holy grail

2 Likes

I think I’m going to do 5’s PRO + 5x5 @ FSL for my leader cycle. I’ll probably use incline bench, overhead press (or behind the neck press), deadlift, and romanian deadlift for the main lifts and do some assistance with it. I just made some general thoughts for the assistance work so that I have the option of doing more or less each day depending on how I feel.

So I’m thinking something like this:

Day 1
Press 5’s PRO + 5x5 @ FSL
Dips, chins, lateral raise, triceps

Day 2
Deadlift 5’s PRO + 5x5 @ FSL
Quads, hamstrings, back, abs, biceps

Day 3
Incline Bench 5’s PRO + 5x5 @ FSL
Dips, chins, lateral raise, triceps

Day 4
Romanian Deadlift 5’s PRO + 5x5 @ FSL
Quads, hamstrings, back, abs, biceps

Suggestions welcome. First day begins tomorrow morning. Hope y’all have a good one.

Squat? Did you have an issue with them? Otherwise it looks cool

1 Like

Get rid of the Romanian deads and squat instead.
What’s you aim for the program?

1 Like

@mortdk @I_Luc

Squatting tweaks my back when I get above around 185. Deadlift and RDL for some reason don’t do that. Since I’m not going to compete, I figure it’s better to go with a less effective exercise that I can still get better at over time.

My aim for the program is to get a bit bigger and stronger over time subject to the constraints of avoiding major injuries and staying healthy.

Have you tried different squat types? High bar vs low bar? Front squats? Zercher squats? RDL’s are good, but front squats or Zercher squats will hit your quads a lot more, I think, even at relatively light weight.

2 Likes

Hey Steve, how’s it going man? I’ve tried low bar, high bar, front squat, and Zercher. I only tried Zercher once, and I didn’t tweak my back at all doing that. I actually think I’ll give that a go. Thanks for reminding me of that.

29 August 2018

Incline Bench (3 count pause): 45x20, 125x5, 145x5, 165x5, 125x10,8,7

Chin-Ups: 5x10
Dips: 5x10
Lateral Raise: 100 total reps
DB High Pull: 100 total reps

Exercise Bike: 15 minutes

1 Like

Also if your back is an issue try Hip Belt Squats, they are awesome! Or you might find if you strengthen the lower back the issues might go.
I made my own belt with some chain and a pool noodle, they don’t load up the back at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip man!

1 Like

Here’s another tip: KB swings.
I started doing them before summer, not very much, found a KB video to learn it from, my form probably isn’t very good.
I’m doing them as a activation set before every DL set.
5-6 swings with a 24 kg bell (50 lb) trying to stay tight and explosive. My lower back has never felt better.

2 Likes

Thanks Mort! I’ll have to try those out

31 August 2018

Bar Hang: 10 count x 4

Zercher Squat: 45x10, 95x5, 125x5, 135x5

Back Extension: Bx2x15, 25x3x15
McGill Curl-Up: 30 count x 5
Curl: 10,8,6,6,20
Front Raise: 60
Lateral Raise: 100
Rear Raise: 60

Exercise Bike: 15 minutes

I’m going to bring a sweatshirt next time for Zerchers to go between the bar and elbows. They seem like they’re going to be a good exercise.

2 Likes

fat grips if you have them and elbow or knee sleeves could do the trick as well.

1 Like

1 September 2018

Press: 45x20, 100x5, 115x5, 130x5, 100x18,7

Chest-Supported Row: 2x10
Dips: 2x10
Squat: 2x10

Exercise Bike: 30 minutes

I stopped this workout because my forearm was really bothering me during chest-supported row. Not sure what’s going on, but I’m gonna figure it out. I’ve been waking up tired with a sore throat since school started. I thought it was allergies and poor recovery, but I might start taking cold medicine in case I’m sick. Regardless, I’ll try to fix whatever it is. I’m ready to get back in the groove and stop inflaming various parts of my body.

By the way, I hope I’m not sounding negative because I’m not feeling that way at all. I’m just trying to organize my plan of attack to reach my goals. Lifting is just a really long journey of ups and downs where hard work is the only thing that brings rewards in the long run. I don’t think I would enjoy it as much if it were easy.

Hope y’all have a good Sunday.

2 Likes