health questions

I here you guys talking alot about the importance of sleeping what is your reccomended sleep doasge per nite. Also i gave up drinking for football I have drinken one this year but i wont lie i have the occasional smoke at the clubs and joint. I feel smoking wont affect my bf like driking will but i smoke verry little we all smoke anyway second hand right.

Okay, first I’m gonna pat you on the back, then I’m gonna smack you on the back of the head with the same hand.

Good job giving up dringing (pat, pat) but you really should give up smoking. If you want to be a decent athlete, healthy lungs are a lot more important that a 2% increase in your body fat. Also, "drinken" is not a word. Another tip: Do not include the word "health" in the title of your post if you're going to admit to smoking in the same post. Oxymorons are one thing, but you're just begging for a flame.

As for sleep, the more the better. Most people suggest 8-9 hours, but that's not always possible. I'm a full time student and work full time, plus I have various other commitments...I get about 6 a night, 7 on a really good night. I seem to be doing all right, but I assume my progress would be better if I got more sleep. You might feel the same. Hope this helps.

Maybe you shouldn’t smoke at all because your grammar seems to be greatly affected…but then again maybe thats because you’re a football player. sorry I couldn’t resist. But smoking is bad you shouldn’t do it AT ALL.

Good job giving up drinking!

Now, you need to stop smoking. Smoking offers no benefit to anyone.

As for sleep, try for at least 7 hours a night and up to 8-9. Some say more is better, but I get groggy and have low energy if I sleep much more than 9.

I’m confused, you quit drinking - but you still smoke? Now, I do drink - beers, mostly with the occasional tasty whiskey, scotch or vodka. But why quit drinking and NOT quit smoking entirely?

Oh well, as for the sleeping? No way can I get 8-hours. Too much for moi. I can function with 5, believe it or not. Ko MUST have his 8-hours (he even sometimes likes 9!). But I think it's individual. Aw-nold (as in Schwarzenegger) has said he prefers 5 and most Type-A individuals can function with around 5-6 hours or less of sleep. However, if I feel tired and need extra rest, I do it. I go by what my body tells me I need, I don't need 6 hours ALL of the time and sometimes 8 is what I need.

I quit smoking a year and a half ago. One of the best choices i ever made. Quit drinking even before that.

About the sleep dosage, i like to have a minimum of 8 hours, but since i started taking melatonine i found that i can get away with 7. With melatonine i wake up less times during the night, and have a much deeper sleep. Currently i’m sleeping between 9 and 10 hours a day, taking 6/9 mg of melatonine.

8-9 hours. Any more, your wasting too much time sleeping; it ain’t THAT fun. Seriously, anyone can find the time to sleep that much. I’m also a fulltime student, work part time, and still get 8-9 hours a night while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. (Not to mention my diet and training)

HEh, I like 10-11 hours of sleep myself. Sometimes I sleep too much and end up with a headache. What I have found helps is take about a half hour to hour nap after working out(especially since i lift in my garage). If I take the nap, I usually feel much better and will be able to get by with 8 or 9 hours as opposed to my usual 11.

well weider sponsored ifbb pro craig titus reccomends 10 hours of sleep and a 2 hour nap during the day. oh and flex also said that in order to get biceps like kevin levrone, you must perform like 25 sets. hehe
i get up at 5:50 every morning, and im in bed at like 9:45 at the latest. 10 hours of sleep is like the absolute max for me, any more than that im tired. (cant sleep in past 8:30 anymore anyways.)

I am a seriuos athlete but alot of pros do drugs they allsmoke weed Charles Oakley said that 70 per cent of NBA players smoke weed and 30 per cent play high get that fucked up. I smoke very minmal I know I might as well stop completely and I am a QB must lead by example

Great post guys you are all a REAL help to me. I will rethank you all one day you will see

Okay, here is my delimna. I am a mother of a 10 month old who doesn’t sleep through the night. I work ful-time, and I also have a 4 year old.

I work from 6:30 a.m – 3:30 pm.
When I get home, it’s arts and crafts, cook dinner, read stories, feed and bathe the kids and put them to bed by 8:00 pm. I then have to start job number 3; cleaning the house and doing laundry. I don’t get to work out until about 10:00 pm.

I’m lucky if I get to bed before midnight – 1 am. Only to be awaken by a fussy 10 month old at about 4 am. Then it’s up at 5 to start all over again.

So, I get about 4 hours a night at best.
I am in a major fat loss program, and doing well. At least I think so. But how much is this hindering my progress? I know Joel Marion said that everyone should be able to find time to sleep 8-9 hours a night. But I honestly can’t find the time.

My hubby is good. He stays at home with the children during the day and goes to work from 4 – 11.

We try to spend an hour with each other, you know, visiting.

Suggestions?

It seems odd that you would give up drinking and keep smoking. I would give up both if I wanted to go to a higher level. As far as the pro athletes using, they are not the top athletes, but rather the mediochre ones.

Rosie- That's a tough situation, you do not have much of a choice. i would try to get in a nap or two, if you can. Not as good as 8 solid hours, but better than nothing.

Check out this article from the Washington Post Health section.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-dyn/articles/A48549-2002Apr1.html

It has some pretty interesting info regarding sleep and it’s effect on hunger and insulin production.

Oops, my link didn’t work. Try this. Go to the main site… washingtonpost.com … and enter the following title for your search…

Lean Plate Club: To Sleep, Perchance to . . . Eat Less?

You also have to move the search date back to April 2 as it defaults at April 4 today.

I dont know if your in high school or college, but be careful about drug testing. My old teammate got caught with weed in his system and it cost him over a million in the draft, but I think thats looking ahead a bit. Sleep can vary but u should get a good 7 or 8.