T Nation

Health Freedom Alert

From the January 2005 Idaho Observer:

HEALTH FREEDOM ALERT

While Americans are preoccupied with stories and images of wars and tsunamis abroad, largely unreported is a cataclysmic domestic event that may hit home by August, 2005.

by Wallace Heath, Ph.D.

Your right to choose what vitamins, minerals and other supplements you want to take may end in August, 2005. After August, U.S. supplements will be defined and controlled by the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). Codex Alimentarius (stringent food/ supplement regulations) is setting the food and nutritional supplement standards for all countries in the WTO. Codex standards are to be enforced by the WTO and will supercede U.S. law. The U.S. president and Congress agreed to this take-over when the WTO treaty was signed. Violators of Codex and other WTO-sponsored international laws will be punished by WTO trade sanctions.

Codex drastically restricts our free access to vitamins, minerals, herbs and other supplements. The International Codex Commission met secretly in November, 2004, and finalized “Step 8 (the final stage)” which is scheduled for implementation seven months from now. Under Codex, no supplement can be sold for preventive or therapeutic use; any potency higher than RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance - minimal strength) is a “drug” requiring a prescription and must be produced by drug companies (over 5,000 safe items now in health food stores will be banned, terminating health food stores as we now know them); Codex regulations enforced in the U.S. will be internationally binding; new supplements will be banned unless the developer is willing to endure a very rigorous and expensive Codex approval process.

Codex standards, as currently enforced in Norway and Germany, caused the price of zinc tablets to rise from $4 per bottle to $52; echinacea, an herb used for immune system enhancement, rose from $14 per bottle of 100 capsules to $153. Both zinc and echinacea are only available by prescription since they are now classified as “drugs.” Vitamin C above 200 mg, niacin above 32 mg, vitamin B6 above 4 mg are only available by prescription. Essential amino acids such as arginine, lysine, proline, and carnitine; essential fatty acids (such as omegas 3, 6 and 9) and other essential supplements such as DMEA, DHEA, CoQ10, MSM, beta-carotene, will NOT be available for purchase unless prescribed by a licensed physician. These Codex rules are not based on real science. They are regulations influenced by pharmaceutical giants who have used the Codex model to take control of vitamins and supplements in order to protect the lucrative pharmaceutical drug industry.

In 1993 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and drug corporations tried to put all supplements under restriction and prescription, but over four million outraged Americans demanded that Congress and the President protect their freedom to purchase essential health supplements without a prescription. As a result, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) was passed in 1994. But unless health-conscious consumers worldwide get involved, DSHEA will be trumped by Codex and the World Trade Organization.

What can be done at this late hour? (1) Spread the word as much as possible by making copies of this article and sharing with others on talk radio shows, (2) Go to the following websites, become fully informed and contribute what you can to this life saving cause: www.iahf.com, www.alliance-natural-health.org , www.ahha.org (3) Contact your legislators, telling them to oppose bills S.722 and H.R.3377. These support the CODEX restrictions with U.S. laws harmonizing with them, in effect repealing DSHEA. (4) Support H. R.1146, The American Sovereignty Restoration Act that repeals the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 and other specified related laws so that WTO sanctions and CODEX will not apply to the U.S. (6) Contact multi-level health marketing groups that can mobilize their significant numbers to inform their representatives in government. (7) Send donations, however small, to the British Alliance for Natural Health (ANH - see web site above). It has succeeded in challenging many Codex directives in World Court. The ANH challenge in the European Court of Justice is due to be heard on January 25, 2005. ANH is also leading initiatives to offset proposed limits on dosages and health claims through Codex legislation.

These critical events in Europe are ever more likely to lead to restrictions in the U.S. and elsewhere, as there is considerable political and commercial pressure for trade harmonization and regulation at a global level.

Decide NOW what it?s worth to protect your right to natural healthcare.

Codex and the FDA are attempting to “protect” us by controlling supplements in the same way they do prescription drugs. With the latest Vioxx scandal, a drug that was FDA approved, do you trust their approval methods? A study of prescription drugs by three medical scientists was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, April 15, 1998?Vol. 279, No. 15, p. 1200: “?Incidence of Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR?s) was found to be extremely high.” Covering 30 years (1966 to 1996) it was found that in the U.S. an average of 106,000 hospitalized patients per year (290 per day) die from ADR?s and 2,200,000 need more hospitalization for recovery. These were FDA approved drugs, properly administered by competent professionals in hospitals?none were considered malpractice. This is the number four cause of death in the U.S. When combined, these account for 7 percent of all hospitalized patients. This is equivalent to the deaths on 9-11 occurring every 10 days.

Due to the pharmaceutical/government controlled media, if a death occurred due to consumption of an over-the-counter nutritional supplement, the news would be on every front page. There is no need for more FDA control of supplements than is already in place, which is substantial. Instead of drastically restricting supplements, why doesn?t the FDA better control and restrict the extremely dangerous pharmaceutical drugs which are now killing us at the rate of a major airline crashing a 757 every day?

Home - Current Edition
Advertising Rate Sheet
About the Idaho Observer
Some recent articles
Some older articles
Why we’re here
Subscribe
Our Writers
Corrections and Clarifications

Hari Heath

Vaccination Liberation - vaclib.org

Make money, help your country and support The Idaho Observer at the same time by signing up as a NORFED Redemption Center.

The Idaho Observer
P.O. Box 457
Spirit Lake, Idaho 83869
Phone: 208-255-2307
Email: observer@coldreams.com
Web:
http://idaho-observer.com
http://proliberty.com/observer/

This cannot be ignored

Is ther any way for the guys at T-Mag to get some more info on this? I know they have quite a lot to do, but this might be worth it.

We all let the ban on pro-hormones go through, we can’t let this one go, too. There has to be a way to get everyone around here organized so that we make sure we get information that is as accurate as possible, and get everyone involved in action if needed.

Any ideas?

Holy Sh*t,

It’s Judgement Day

The problem is, the general public has been duped into not caring about this. They have been scared by ephedrine propoganda and baseball’s current bullshit. The average mother probably already thinks anything related to protein or any supplement used by weightlifters will somehow kill her children. How do you repair mass ignorance? The only possible way is for the average person to feel as if this will affect them negatively as well. How is that accomplished when the average person is sedentary and looking for any and every excuse to not find a solution on their own? Most of them will welcome needing to go to a doctor for a protein supplement. They all want to blame some medical disease for their obesity in the first place. I honestly don’t see a solution as long as people refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions. This entire society has welcomed BIG government all while being hypocrits in their claimed dislike for it. I hate to say I told you so, but…

More information needed. I hate to get really pissed off about things until I get a few more sources.

I hate the WTO.

I can see two guys meeting in some dark alley: First guy says: “Ya got the stuff?” Second guy: “Yea…where’s the money?” First guy pulls out a handful of cash, second pulls a bottle of Vitamin C powder from his coat. Sad Man…sad.

This really does suck. Not only will be loose the ability to choose but this will discourage research. If this continues, I won’t be surprised to see research flourishing in other parts of the world.

So, who do we have to kill to stop this crap?

[quote]Beast2017 wrote:
So, who do we have to kill to stop this crap?[/quote]

The head honchos at every major drug company. Its all about the money. The don’t want us to be healthy. They want us all to be sick or have heart problems or bad joints so we can go to the doctor and get drugs so the drug companys make money which they give to politicians. Its sad. Our government is supposed to work for us but it seems as if they are doing the opposite and trying to cover it up by saying they are protecting us. The T-Nation really needs to unite on this one.

Actually, it might be quite easy to get the fat, lazy public behind this. After all, they’d rather take a handful of herbal pills than exercise. If that was threatened, whoa, no more homeopathic mood-enhacing, miracle-fat-burning, sex-boosting herbs!

Does anyone know of a resource that has food sources for some things we currently get in pill forms. For example vitamin C is found in a lot of foods. Whey is found in milk. B vitamins are found in veggies.

That article doesn’t seem to be entirely correct. It’s located here by the way: http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20050110.htm

It says there are two bills on this matter: bills S.722 and H.R.3377.

Well… H.R.3377 is the “Rural Right-of-Way Fairness Act,” which deals with tort liability of some form http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c104:H.R.3377: and S.722, the “Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2003,” makes no mention of the WTO or the WHO as the article does. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.722:

It then says to support bill H. R.1146, the “American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2003,” which would pull the U.S. out of the United Nations. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.1146:

This is what happens when we elect incompetent morons to office.

We need a Revolution, a government that is truly for the people.

I searched the Library of Congress site for HR 3377 and it said it wasn’t available because it hadn’t come from the GPO yet.

http://olpa.od.nih.gov/tracking/house_bills/session1/hr-3377.asp

This link shows a summary of HR 3377, although it is from 2003, 108th congress.

The Rural Right of Way Fairness Act was introduced in the 104th Congress, we are currently in the 109th.

I’m not exactly sure about how all of this Congress stuff works, I admit. Maybe some of the more educated people can help us out?

Ok, so here’s some more info on the WTO/WHO involvement. I still don’t see how the U.N. or bill H.R.3377 play into this though.

http://ahha.org/codexOV.htm

[quote]Codex Brief Overview

Think global. The World Trade Organization (WTO) is an international body to resolve trade disputes between countries. For a yardstick to measure against the WTO uses industry regulations established by other organizations.

For food products the WTO uses standards that have been, and continue to be, established by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC).

Once a Codex standard is developed and approved by the CAC, WTO member nations must conform. If a trade dispute comes before the WTO, economic trade sanctions can be used to enforce compliance.

The CAC assigns development of new standards to specific Codex committees. For many years one of the assignments of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) has been to create “Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements.” These Guidelines are to dictate which nutrients are deemed safe, the maximum and minimum amounts allowed in a product, and related packaging and labeling requirements.[/quote]

[quote]dan4745 wrote:
essential fatty acids (such as omegas 3, 6 and 9)…will NOT be available for purchase unless prescribed by a licensed physician.
[/quote]

Not to play Devil’s Advocate here, but this statement is completely ridiculous considering that the n-6 part would require all vegetable oils to be prescribed by a doctor; most all cooking oil would fall under this designation.

Hell, maybe that would have an unexpected positive effect on public health as fast food restaurants would be unable to serve fried slop to customers without a prescription. If this is the case I think we will find the soybean producers to be our unlikely allies as they will lobby their asses off to prevent soybean oil from being regulated by the FDA.

I would like to know more about the reality, if any, behind this. Unfortunately this article smacks of wrapping a little bit of fact in a lot of emotion. It would be much more valuable to all of us to cut through the crap.

Nick

[quote]The_Incubator wrote:
dan4745 wrote:
essential fatty acids (such as omegas 3, 6 and 9)…will NOT be available for purchase unless prescribed by a licensed physician.

Not to play Devil’s Advocate here, but this statement is completely ridiculous considering that the n-6 part would require all vegetable oils to be prescribed by a doctor; most all cooking oil would fall under this designation.

Hell, maybe that would have an unexpected positive effect on public health as fast food restaurants would be unable to serve fried slop to customers without a prescription. If this is the case I think we will find the soybean producers to be our unlikely allies as they will lobby their asses off to prevent soybean oil from being regulated by the FDA.

I would like to know more about the reality, if any, behind this. Unfortunately this article smacks of wrapping a little bit of fact in a lot of emotion. It would be much more valuable to all of us to cut through the crap.

Nick[/quote]

Well, you did play devil’s advocate. But, the bill that I’ve read will pertain only to supplements, and will not cover such items as cooking oils.

In case anyone did not notice, I have created a separate thread called “Re: Health Freedom Alert,” so as not to hijack this one.

If you get a chance, take a look, and let me know what you think.

~Terumo

H.R. 1146: Last action on 3/6/2003.

Link: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/webreturn/?url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.3866:

H.R. 3377: Last action on 6/2/2004.

Link:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/webreturn/?url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.3866:

I don’t know what the deal is, but the Library on Congress site makes it seem like these bills are dead.