Healing the Gut

As we all know when someone is intolerant to a food the body mediates an IgG response thereby inflaming the gut. I often recommend glutamine (on an empty stomach), enteric coated fish-oils and vitamin D, and of course the usual like vitamin C and of course avoiding the foods in question. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of other things a person could take to help heal the gut lining to maximize absorption and reduce the probability of leaky-gut syndrome?

[quote]grrrsauce wrote:
As we all know when someone is intolerant to a food the body mediates an IgG response thereby inflaming the gut. I often recommend glutamine (on an empty stomach), enteric coated fish-oils and vitamin D, and of course the usual like vitamin C and of course avoiding the foods in question. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of other things a person could take to help heal the gut lining to maximize absorption and reduce the probability of leaky-gut syndrome?[/quote]

There is already a whole thread on this. Learn to use the search function.

Looks like lots of good ideas mentioned on the other thread. Just thought to quickly add, avoiding oils high in omega 6s and avoiding wheat helped my gut greatly. Personally, do not believe anyone with an intestinal issue should consume wheat products.

[quote]Menthol wrote:
Personally, do not believe anyone with an intestinal issue should consume wheat products. [/quote]

QFT. That should include emotional issues as well, as the gut mediates the immune system as well as emotional health.

I had problems with this. I found many foods messed up my digestive system. I take at least 30g glutamine per day (excellent supplement, and cheap too), I used probiotics such as lactobacillus acidophilus, and did an exclusion diet, making no assumptions about what is ‘good’ food, testing each. I’ve written about that here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_injuries/what_ive_noticed_about_inflammation?pageNo=0#4464111

Hope that helps