T Nation

Headphones in the Gym

Is this really a good idea? If you can't hear subtle warnings because you are off in your own little world, I will not risk my safety because you can't hear the "look out".

I was doing weighted carries. I slowed down and neither of us got hurt but for fucks sake, be aware of your environment. People that perform and dance or whatever they call it after a bench set look silly. They are only topped in silliness by people who play free Texas Hold 'Em in bars and do the TV show antics. Gym outfits are third.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Is this really a good idea? If you can’t hear subtle warnings because you are off in your own little world, I will not risk my safety because you can’t hear the “look out”.

I was doing weighted carries. I slowed down and neither of us got hurt but for fucks sake, be aware of your environment. People that perform and dance or whatever they call it after a bench set look silly. They are only topped in silliness by people who play free Texas Hold 'Em in bars and do the TV show antics. Gym outfits are third. [/quote]
in b4
the biggest, strongest guys wear headphones and you are not as big as you think

I always have my headphones volume at such a level that I can hear my surroundings (should be able to hear the clang of weights, people talking, etc).
It’s not just a safety thing, but also a longevity thing. If I can hear my surroundings, chances are the volume is not high enough to damage my ears.

It’s like the guys who walk around barefoot are the guys who always drop 45lbs plates on their foot

Ear phones or not, 30+ years in the Gym has taught me that the vast majority of people have zero awareness of their surroundings and are completely incapable of learning…without the application of lots of pain.

There is a special place in Hell for bastards who sit on stairs, find the narrowest part of a corridor to stop and stretch, use it as a storage location for their bags etc.

I swear to the God I don’t believe in, I was once doing a Clean and Jerk, the weight was overhead and I just unlocked it to bring it down when an idiot (for such he was) walked directly underneath the end of the bar. After the carnage, I asked him if I was invisible. He did agree I wasn’t.

Just yesterday I tried to get into the Gym and found an idiot pinning the door by using it to stretch against.

The people are so stupid and it makes me very sad.

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:.

I swear to the God I don’t believe in, I was once doing a Clean and Jerk, the weight was overhead and I just unlocked it to bring it down when an idiot (for such he was) walked directly underneath the end of the bar. After the carnage, I asked him if I was invisible. He did agree I wasn’t.
[/quote]

My top 5 incidents:
I had someone walk into my power rack at the bottom of a squat.
Someone walk into my bar while I was pressing
Someone try to take a 20kg plate off a bar I had just racked and still had my hands on
Someone attempting to lat raise over me on a bench.
And my fav… Someone setting up a high box behind my platform, then jumping off the box and onto the rubber area of the platform - apparently I wasn’t using that part.

I also am very fond of the bench press as shelf for phones, bags, water bottles, jackets,.wallets, breathing apparatus (not joking)

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
Ear phones or not, 30+ years in the Gym has taught me that the vast majority of people have zero awareness of their surroundings and are completely incapable of learning…without the application of lots of pain.

There is a special place in Hell for bastards who sit on stairs, find the narrowest part of a corridor to stop and stretch, use it as a storage location for their bags etc.

Just yesterday I tried to get into the Gym and found an idiot pinning the door by using it to stretch against.

The people are so stupid and it makes me very sad.[/quote]

Guy with head phones on was benching yesterday, he has 355 locked out, when this chick proceeds to start removing a 10 off one side. Apparently she asked twice if he was using it and with no response, she just decided to take it, despite the fact that it was going up and down. My mind was blown.

Also, we have hooks on one side of our squat rack for people to do presses, curls whatever from, but you have to be facing the guy squatting. Hasn’t it always been a common courtesy thing to not get in a guys eyeline if they are squatting a heavy set? That used to be kind of an unspoken rule at my previous gym but not so much anymore?

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Also, we have hooks on one side of our squat rack for people to do presses, curls whatever from, but you have to be facing the guy squatting. Hasn’t it always been a common courtesy thing to not get in a guys eyeline if they are squatting a heavy set? That used to be kind of an unspoken rule at my previous gym but not so much anymore?[/quote]

I hate this shit, sometimes I will these people back and flex my abbzzz in front of the mirror they are using to make sure they are doing their curls correctly

[quote]
I also am very fond of the bench press as shelf for phones, bags, water bottles, jackets,.wallets, breathing apparatus (not joking) [/quote]

Never seen a breathing apparatus on a bench, but this issue is by far the most common I see and it makes me want to beat someone to death with a barbell. My personal favorite I’ve seen so far was a guy using both of our squat racks in our gym to superset… WRIST CURLS

Had a Hammer strength machine loaded up to do some lat work.

Just as I was starting my set I looked in the mirror behind me & I saw a guy about to slide a 45 off the machine. No real biggie since I was able to turn around to ask him WTH he was doing. Turns out he thought the loading bar was part of the plate tree (that was beside the machine)

For guys in headphones, the key is making eye contact, the almost imperceptible “dude/bro/brah” headnod to acknowledge safety & spacing issues and you should be good…

Now, for guys that have it cranked to 11 & are singing/rapping along to the beat; there is no hope for them

ahaha good stuff in here, recent funny ones, some of the above mentioned has happen to myself getting in bar path,stripping weights ect.
I saw two bros walk over to a leg press then proceed to drop the loaded 45s already on it from chest high probably 3 a side until it was down to like a plate aside. One lied down in the leg press the other leaned against it and then they both whooped out their phones and txted the lifting gods for about 20 minutes neither of them did a set lol.

Another time I saw a lankier mofo than myself, lye on an incline bench and proceede to unrack the bar with his eyes closed. He did not notice that only one end had a 25 on it and the bar completely dumped sideways almost taking people out with it, I laughed my ass off profusely in a corner.

I think most of these phenomena have more to do with people being completely unaware of their surroundings and less to do with headphones. I walk around campus with headphones in and I am generally more aware of my surroundings than those without them. I agree that they most likely exacerbate peoples unawareness, but they probably don’t cause it by itself.

[quote]ThePitbull86 wrote:

[quote]
I also am very fond of the bench press as shelf for phones, bags, water bottles, jackets,.wallets, breathing apparatus (not joking) [/quote]

Never seen a breathing apparatus on a bench, but this issue is by far the most common I see and it makes me want to beat someone to death with a barbell. My personal favorite I’ve seen so far was a guy using both of our squat racks in our gym to superset… WRIST CURLS [/quote]

He would have lost one of them. Had to wait on the squat rack yesterday while a trainer ran his client through a set of BB Curls with a half bar. He literally was sitting the very tips of his unloaded 4ft straight bar on the catches. Of course, his set was so unstrenuous that he managed to talk to his trainer the entire time. It about made me go apeshit. Then the thing happened with the girl unracking the guys bar while he was mid set and I lost all faith in humanity.

Benching last week a guy was talking on his phone pacing back and forth down near my feet. Every time he walked into view my eyes tracked the movement and got me all wobbly. Thank goodness I’m very weak and didn’t have much weight on the bar.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]

Never seen a breathing apparatus on a bench, but this issue is by far the most common I see and it makes me want to beat someone to death with a barbell. My personal favorite I’ve seen so far was a guy using both of our squat racks in our gym to superset… WRIST CURLS [/quote]

He would have lost one of them. Had to wait on the squat rack yesterday while a trainer ran his client through a set of BB Curls with a half bar. He literally was sitting the very tips of his unloaded 4ft straight bar on the catches. Of course, his set was so unstrenuous that he managed to talk to his trainer the entire time. It about made me go apeshit. Then the thing happened with the girl unracking the guys bar while he was mid set and I lost all faith in humanity. [/quote]

I was passive aggressive about it… i just lurked around the racks and mean mugged him every time he looked my way while I did some warm up overheads with DB’s and he finally took the hint. I’ve never understood why people use the safety racks for curls. I mean get the hell out of the way, if you can curl the weight you can surely pick it up and set it down on the floor between sets.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

I am not going to say that I have never done it because if the gym isn’t busy and the squat rack is just sitting around, which it is most days, I’ll curl out of it. But its one of those things were you pay attention and if someone looks like they are waiting, I’ll ask if they are squatting and GTFO. Which now, with this double sided rack it pretty much eliminates this whole scenario.

The only time I really take issue is when someone is so oblivious that they don’t realize people are waiting and get all huffy if you ask them if you can squat with a “How dare you squat in the curl rack” attitude.

[/quote]

I am not going to say that I have never done it because if the gym isn’t busy and the squat rack is just sitting around, which it is most days, I’ll curl out of it. But its one of those things were you pay attention and if someone looks like they are waiting, I’ll ask if they are squatting and GTFO. Which now, with this double sided rack it pretty much eliminates this whole scenario.

The only time I really take issue is when someone is so oblivious that they don’t realize people are waiting and get all huffy if you ask them if you can squat with a “How dare you squat in the curl rack” attitude. [/quote]

Yeah, it’s not a big deal if theirs nobody waiting but my gym only has 2 racks which is the main problem. It comes down to situational awareness and most people don’t have it.

One of the biggest guys in my gym does curls in the squat rack. So far I have seen zero people attempt to call him out on it.

[quote]JLone wrote:

One of the biggest guys in my gym does curls in the squat rack. So far I have seen zero people attempt to call him out on it. [/quote]

Agreed. I had a teammate doing barbell curls with 225 lbs and you had to be downright stupid to consider calling him out. Sure he had a little bit of a swing to his technique, but moving that much weight while curling was just awesome to witness.