Heading Towards 315 Pounds, Revised

so after all my wrestling,football,and powerlifting
15 years total, I’ve built some sick muscle mass

From age 5, til now I’m an old bastard, being 20

My Training has basically consisted of
Hang Cleans,Chopping Wood,Incline Benching,Deadlifting,Squatting,Pulling/Pushing Cars,Sprinting,Speed Roping

all with varied rep schemes over the years

never done any serious bi/tri training but i got some size on them for sure

I’m basically injury free (other than some mental issues i blame on training for hours on end by myself)_

I am looking to gain some advice from you guys on here, because I dont really know anyone that is into bodybuilding

so the questions are

Diet Timing-like, whats the best time to eat what, like a breakdown of when its best to eat fat/protein/carbs

training questions

is it really better to hold a contraction? because i’m used to just lifting like a madman with alot of explosion

I am a solid guy, I’m pretty big, and thats it, I look more like the thing from fantasic 4, I’m definitely in need of some contouring to get the “bodybuilder look” ( need to turn my ugly muscles into sexy ones lol)

i’m putting a routine up, any tips on it will definitely be appreciated

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Chest
Pullover Floor Press
Sets 2 Warm-up Sets, 4 work Sets
Reps 20,15,8,8,8,8

Incline Dumbell Press
Sets 4
Reps 10-12

Squeeze Fly
Sets 4
Reps 8-10

Biceps
Cross Body Hammer Curl
Sets: 4
Reps: 8

Barbell Curl
Reps: 8

High Pulley Rope Curl
Reps: 12-15

Tuesday: Abdominal/Cardio/Stretch/Sauna
Incline Praying Mantis
Incline Russian twist
Gagne’s Cyclone
Stabilizer Ball Crunch (weighted)
Dragon Flag
Rope Suplex

Sets Circuit until failure
Reps 8-10
Cardio

1 Hour ( alternate machine every session)
Stretching
15 minutes total
Sauna
15-20 minutes

Wednesday: Shoulders/Legs
Push press
Sets 6
Reps1 x 7, 1 x 5, 1 x 3, 1 x 7, 1 x 5, 1 x 3
Rest 120 seconds

Javelin thrower press
Sets 4
Reps 4 to 6/arm
Superset with Single Arm Iron Cross 20 Second Holds

Dumbbell lateral raise
Sets 3
Reps 10-12

Legs
Squats
Sets: 5
Reps15,12,8,8,8,8

Keystone Deadlift
Reps:8

Leg Press
Sets: 3, 2 work sets, 1 drop set 20 x 20 x 20
Reps: 20

Leg Extensions( Toes Pointed In,Out,And Neutral)
Sets: 3
Reps: 30

Lying Leg Curls
Sets: 5
Reps:15,12, 10,10,10

Thursday: Abdominal/Cardio/Stretch/Sauna-Moderate Carb Day
Incline Praying Mantis
Incline Russian twist
Gagne’s Cyclone
Stabilizer Ball Crunch (weighted)
Dragon Flag
Rope Suplex

Sets Circuit until failure
Reps 8-10
Rest minimal
Cardio
1 Hour ( alternate machine every session)
Stretching
15 minutes total
Sauna
15-20 minutes

Friday: Back/Triceps-
Deadlift
Sets: 6
Reps: 12,5,5,5,5,5

Isometric/eccentric pull-ups
Reps: 1 ( 20 second pull)

Double Down Pulldowns
Reps: 10-12

Arc Decline Dumbell Rows
Reps: 10-12

Decline Dumbell Rows
Reps:10-12

Iso-dynamic lat pull-down
Rep 1: 12 seconds
Rep 2: 9 seconds
Rep 3: 7 seconds
Rep 4: 5 seconds
Rep 5: 3 seconds
Rep 6: 1 seconds

Iso-dynamic lat pull-down
Sets: 3
Reps: 6
Triceps

Overhead Extensions
Sets 4
Reps 10

Decline NoseBreakers
Sets 4
Reps 8

Reverse Grip Pushdowns
Sets 4
Reps 10

Thanks alot for any help

Well “ideally” you want your carb/protein meals to be centered around breakfast, pre workout,post workout.

But, I don’t see you getting to 315 following that principle. Even for myself, getting to 275 I couldn’t do it like that.

I’d suggest trying carbs with every meal until maybe the last 2 meals of the day then go with protein/fats.

Outside of when I’m chugging whole milk at 10 PM lol thats usually what I do. It allows me to get a shit ton of calories but stay decently lean at the same time.

Good luck man

I agree with waylander.

Also, In my opinion, you will get more and/or better responses if you organize your post a little better.

No it’s not better to hold the contraction, if what got you big (to where you are in the 280s/290s) is lifting with explosion. Do what you’ve done before. If it got you big there’s no reason to change. Besides, a lot of trainees have gotten big without the peak contraction thing (thinking of mostly PLers, but hey, lifting heavy is lifting heavy, no?).

In terms of diet, in order to minimize fat gain yeah, breakfast, pre/post workout are the times to eat them. However, at some point you just have to add them, or you’ll be chugging olive oil all day lol. Try waylander’s idea of eating carbs with most of your meals except the last 2 of the day.

I couldn’t read your routine, and I didn’t want to take the time to decipher it because I"m a lazy SOB.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
No it’s not better to hold the contraction, if what got you big (to where you are in the 280s/290s) is lifting with explosion. Do what you’ve done before. If it got you big there’s no reason to change. Besides, a lot of trainees have gotten big without the peak contraction thing (thinking of mostly PLers, but hey, lifting heavy is lifting heavy, no?).
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. Congrats on closing in on 315, that’s fucking crazy.

If it got you there, continue to do it. It’s obviously working for you man.

I also agree with the diet info re: carbs around workouts/breakfast being ‘ideal.’

If I were you i’d clean up the diet a bit and just first get an idea of what you eat and when. Try to organize it, because this is necessary when you are actually trying to diet. When you are just lifting like a mad man and gaining then it doesn’t matter as much, as long as you are making strenght and size gains.

So get your diet in check, figure out the best foods for you (best sources of carbs, fats, protein, etc).

I’d probably slowly lower cals and not change much about your training, if anything. This should result in nice, slow weight loss but i’m not an expert on cutting by ANY means, this is only what i’ve consistently read.

I couldn’t crack the code behind your post. As far a macronutrient timing is concerned big carb: morning and post-workout and the remainder of the meals are probably 20% carbs. Thats what I do and it keeps me in check. A 300+ pounder, you bastard. Congrats.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Well “ideally” you want your carb/protein meals to be centered around breakfast, pre workout,post workout.

But, I don’t see you getting to 315 following that principle. Even for myself, getting to 275 I couldn’t do it like that.

I’d suggest trying carbs with every meal until maybe the last 2 meals of the day then go with protein/fats.

Outside of when I’m chugging whole milk at 10 PM lol thats usually what I do. It allows me to get a shit ton of calories but stay decently lean at the same time.

Good luck man[/quote]

Wow, I just kicked myself, I’ve been forgetting about milk

but, i’m defitely going to start getting more carbs in, because i’m basically on my own, so i was under the impression that carbs were bad (damn media!!)

thanks alot bro

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
I couldn’t crack the code behind your post. As far a macronutrient timing is concerned big carb: morning and post-workout and the remainder of the meals are probably 20% carbs. Thats what I do and it keeps me in check. A 300+ pounder, you bastard. Congrats. [/quote]

thanks alot man, i’m re-editing this so its eye friendly lol

i was half asleep yesterday morning when i wrote this

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Congrats on closing in on 315, that’s fucking crazy.

If it got you there, continue to do it. It’s obviously working for you man.

I also agree with the diet info re: carbs around workouts/breakfast being ‘ideal.’

If I were you i’d clean up the diet a bit and just first get an idea of what you eat and when. Try to organize it, because this is necessary when you are actually trying to diet. When you are just lifting like a mad man and gaining then it doesn’t matter as much, as long as you are making strenght and size gains.

So get your diet in check, figure out the best foods for you (best sources of carbs, fats, protein, etc).

I’d probably slowly lower cals and not change much about your training, if anything. This should result in nice, slow weight loss but i’m not an expert on cutting by ANY means, this is only what i’ve consistently read. [/quote]

yep, cleaning up my diet shouldnt be too hard, i think i need to switch training styles tho, because i dont really have the “look” i’m just a wall right now, ya know?

whats a keystone deadlift, sounds interesting.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
whats a keystone deadlift, sounds interesting.[/quote]

the keystone deadlift is a wide stance stiff legged deadlift, with a double underhand narrow grip, point your toes outwards as muchs as possible, flex your glutes thru the whole movement, it destroy the hams/glutes

You’ve obviously obtained no small measure of success following your current setup, so I’m hesitant to give any advice other than continue smashing the weights and throw in some bodybuilding-type exercises.

That’s how i lift, and the results are practically invaluable. If i lifted light in the 8-12 range with a stupid tempo it would’ve taken me forever to gain these 10 pounds. Plus the strength gains to size gains ratio are so huge, it’s misleading to think that being small means being weak.