Heading for 2/3/4/5, Keep me Accountable. Training and Nutrition Log

Hi all,

I’ve decided to start a training and nutrition log so that I can reap the benefits of being a member of the T Nation community as I have trained solo for about 10 years now. I spent the first 4 years using a multi gym in my garage and I’ve been seriously into lifting for the remaining 5-6 years. I progressed a bit during the first 4 years but it wasn’t until I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to show me how to Squat, bench and deadlift properly that my love for training started.

10 years ago I was a 127Kg (280lbs) fat guy. After 4 years of ‘exercising’ and using the multi gym I reached 102Kgs (225lbs) and was still a fat guy but stronger. 6 years ago I read about Reg Park’s legendary 5x5 workouts and decided I had to get a gym membership.

It was a commercial gym but I made sure it was one with a dedicated lifting area, and to my benefit it was virtually unused. After I was taught the big basic movements I was hooked and spent every weekday in the gym. There were no other lifters at the gym whenever I went, well there were a lot of very thin guys doing bicep curls incorrectly and ladies using the adductor and abductor machines so I trained solo. I got stronger, quite a lot stronger but after a few years I hadn’t managed to shift any body weight but I think I had re-comped quite a bit.

3 Years ago I got so sick of being a fat guy that I hired a nutritionist and trainer to put a 8 week fat loss plan together for me, she was brilliant (her name is Sarah Lindsay and she is an Olympic speed skater for team GB, I had a bit of a crush on her) and in those 8 weeks I had reached 95Kgs (209lbs) and 20% body fat but my strength was way down on what it was before I started. After that I was finally convinced that I could get lean so from there I researched nutrition and fat loss endlessly and experimented with various fat loss approaches. I also put together my own training plans to help me to try and maintain (and if possible try to get back to my previous levels of) strength while I was attempting to reach the goal of being happy with what I see in the mirror.

Fast forward to today:
Age = 38
Weight = 75Kgs (165lbs)
Height 5’11"
Body Fat % = About 10ish
1 Rep maxes:
Deadlift = 205Kgs (451lbs)
Front Squat = 125Kgs (275lbs)
Bench Press = 115Kgs (253lbs)
Overhead Press = 85Kgs (187lbs)

Training Goal: Get strong – I read on here that to be considered strong a decent benchmark to reach would be:
Overhead press = 91Kgs (200lbs)
Bench Press = 136Kgs (300lbs)
Squat = 182Kgs (400lbs)
Deadlift = 227Kgs (500lbs)

I’m going to continue with my current plan which is strength and conditioning focussed, I also throw in little bit of accessory work that I feel is necessary for the current training cycle.

Training Plan
Full body, low volume 4 times a week using a training max that is 85-90% of my 1rep max - I’m in week 3 of a 5 week strength cycle.

Monday = Full body and conditioning
Tuesday = Full body and some accessory or supplemental work
Wednesday = Conditioning and sauna
Thursday = Full Body and some accessory and supplemental work
Friday = Full Body and conditioning
Saturday & Sunday Walking, some body weight stuff, nothing too strenuous.

Monday 24th April
Breakfast:
130g Lamb’s liver
A lot of spinach
2 Red onions
All sautéed in a teaspoon of butter
Black coffee
570ml water with 1tsp Psyllium Husk
2 high DHA fish oil capsules
1 Chromium tablet
1 multi vitamin tablet
Pre-Workout
100g Instant Oats
60g Whey Protein
0.5 G green tea extract
1000ml Water
Intra Workout
5g Creatine Monohydrate
10g 4:4:1 BCAA Powder
2273 (1/2gallon) water
Post workout drink
1000ml Water
5g Creatine Monohydrate
5g 4:4:1 BCAA Powder
Post Workout meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale (steamed)
300g Baked white potatoes with the skin on (no oil)
570ml water
Evening Meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale (steamed)
1Tbsp Crunchy Almond Butter
About a dozen black grapes
2 High DHA fish oil tablets
Total calories approx. 2200
Training
Training time = 11am
Main Movement
Deadlift
Warmup 100Kgs (220lbs) x 3, 120Kgs (264lbs) x 3
5 reps at 75% of Training Max = 135Kgs (297lbs)
3 reps at 85% of Training Max = 152.5Kgs (335.5lbs)
1+ reps at 95% of training max = 170Kgs (374lbs). I achieved 3 reps but had to switch from overhand to mixed grip after 1st rep
Secondary movements – Superset
Pull Up
30 total reps = 1x9, 1x8, 1x8, 1x6 (I did one extra for luck)
Overhead press
5x5 at 75% of training Max = 62.5Kgs (137.5lbs)
Conditioning
Mini Kettlebell swing challenge with 24Kg (52.8lbs) Kettlebell
Set a timer for 10 minutes…
Minute 1 = 20 x Kettlebell swing + 10 Push Ups then rest for the remainder of the minute
Minute 2 = 20 x Kettlebell swing + 9 Push Ups then rest for the remainder of the minute
Minute 3 = 20 x Kettlebell swing + 8 Push Ups then rest for the remainder of the minute
Continue in this manner until you reach 20 swings and 1 push up in the final minute and then cry in the corner.

All in all a good day, the weights felt quite comfortable. This is the first time in ages I have deadlifted 170Kgs but it felt okay, annoyed that I had to use a mixed grip though.

3 Likes

I see the thread on being strong for a natural inspired toy to jump into the world of training logs! I just recently joined the club as well and it’s strangely motivating. It looks like you and I are at similar strength levels and chasing the same goals. I’ll be following :+1:

2 Likes

Good job starting a log to keep yourself accountable! I think you’re going to find it extremely helpful in staying motivated and progressing towards your goals.

The goals you set are very achievable with some consistent hard work in the gym and proper nutrition.

Did I miss you post your height somewhere?

Is this a program that you have purchased/found online/created yourself?

Thanks very much, I’ll check out your log too, it’ll be helpful to have someone to try to keep pace with. Yes the strong for a natural post certainly spurred me on to get my arse in gear.

Thanks very much, I’ve just edited my post to add my height. It’s 5’11" (well about 5’10.5" to be exact).

This is a program I put together but I have borrowed heavily from Chad Waterbury and Jim Wendler. I’ve experimented over the past few years and I have found this setup to work quite well for me. It got me back to my previous strength levels prior to some substantial fat loss. I’ve been running variations of this plan for about 18 months now with a reasonable amount of success.

I’ve just got back to the office from today’s session so will be updating my log at some point. I had better do some actual work right now though :smile:

1 Like

Wow, you’re quite light for that height with those lifts! Nice work!

EDIT: Also, training logs are quite addicting. You may find yourself checking back here for new posts a few times throughout your work day…as I typically do!

2 Likes

^^^^
Yep. I have somehow been sucked in to a point that I leave the forums open on my phone’s browser so it’s there every time I open it up to do something on the internet. Over the past couple weeks I remembered how much easier it is to type on a computer so I’ve started leaving this open on my work laptop during my day as well.

If you all see me suddenly disappear it’s because I’ve gotten in too deep and had to make a clean break to reclaim my life!

3 Likes

Tuesday 25th April
Breakfast:
130g Lamb’s liver
A lot of spinach
2 Red onions
1tsp chilli flakes
Black coffee
1 Chromium tablet
1 multi vitamin tablet
Pre-Workout
100g Instant Oats
60g Whey Protein
0.5g green tea extract
1000ml Water
Intra Workout
5g Creatine Monohydrate
2273 (1/2gallon) water
Post workout drink
1000ml Water
5g Creatine Monohydrate
also had a banana
Post Workout meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale (steamed)
300g Baked white potatoes with the skin on (no oil)
570ml water
Evening Meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale (steamed)

Trained at 11:30am today.

Main Movement
Bench Press
Warmup 65Kgs (143lbs) x 3, 70Kgs (154lbs) x 3
5 reps at 75% of Training Max = 75Kgs (165lbs)
3 reps at 85% of Training Max = 85Kgs (187lbs)
1+ reps at 95% of training max = 95Kgs (209lbs). Achieved 6 reps, paused a few seconds at the lockout position without racking the bar after reps 4 and 5.
Secondary movements
Front Squat
5x5 at 75% of training Max = 77.5Kgs (170.5lbs) 60 seconds rest between sets. Felt steady.
Supplemental movements (aka other stuff)
Bent over barbell row (strict, elbows tucked)
2x20 reps = 52.5Kgs (115.5lbs) .Last 2 reps of set 1 and Last 4 reps of set 2 were… not so strict but only used a little momentum. Tried to go very slowly on the eccentric to compensate

Barbell Bicep curl and lying kettlebell triceps extension superset
2x20 reps
25Kgs (55lbs) for curls 8Kg (17.6lbs) kettlebell each hand for the triceps extension. Slow eccentric and attempted to maintain constant tension on both movements and I hated it.

Welcome to the Over 35 group.

1 Like

Thanks @bulldog9899 happy to be on board

2 Likes

Welcome, I recently decided to add my training log on here too and have similar long term goals to you. I’ll deff be watching your progress. Good luck

1 Like

Wednesday 26th April
Breakfast:
130g Lamb’s liver
A lot of spinach
2 Red onions
1tsp chipotle chilli flakes
Black coffee
1 Chromium tablet
1 multi vitamin tablet
Pre-Workout
100g Instant Oats
60g Whey Protein
0.5g green tea extract
1000ml Water
Intra Workout
5g Creatine Monohydrate
2273ml (1/2gallon) water
Post workout drink
1000ml Water
5g Creatine Monohydrate
also had a banana
Post Workout meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale (steamed)
100g (raw weight) white rice
570ml water
Evening Meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale (steamed)

Trained at 11:30am today - Today is supposed to be a conditioning and lazing in the sauna day, however I’m on a 4 day working week as I’m taking the day off from work on Friday and taking my son to the museum. He is all about the dinosaurs.

So Instead of having a lazy day I’m doing Thursday’s session today.

Main Movement
Overhead Press
Warmup: 2 x 3 @ 50Kg (110lbs)
5 reps at 75% of Training Max = 55Kgs (121lbs)
3 reps at 85% of Training Max = 62.5Kgs (137.5lbs)
1+ reps at 95% of training max = 70Kgs (154lbs). Achieved 7 reps, left it at that. Probably had 1 left in the tank but I didn’t want to blow my wad on the first movement of the day.
Secondary movements - Superset
Deadlift
5x3 at 80% of training Max = 145Kgs (319lbs) 60 seconds rest between sets.
Pull Up
With additional 10Kgs (22lbs) 25 total reps = 5,5,5,4,3,3
Conditioning
Farmer’s walk with 2x 40Kg (88lbs) Dumbbells. I try to walk as far as I can (I don’t know how far that is as so I just try to do widths of the gym)
5 Sets in total
Set 1 = 4 Widths
Sets 2,3,4, and 5 = 2 Widths
Skip (jump rope) for 60 Seconds instead of resting between sets. After last set try to skip as fast as possible for as long as possible (73 seconds).

Today’s session felt really good considering that it should have been one of my ‘rest’ days. I’m expecting tomorrow to be harsh as 4 days back to back tends to leave me feeling flattened.

Sorry, but I have to ask. Why does it say March 26, 25, 2???

No need to apologise @ChickenLittle. I see you’ve spotted my deliberate mistake. Now corrected :blush:

1 Like

Thursday 27th April
Breakfast:
130g Lamb’s liver
A lot of spinach
2 Red onions
Black coffee
570ml water with 1tsp psyllium husk
1 Chromium tablet
1 multi vitamin tablet
Pre-Workout
100g Instant Oats
60g Whey Protein
0.5 G green tea extract
1000ml Water
Intra Workout
5g Creatine Monohydrate
15g 4:4:1 BCAA Powder
2273 (1/2gallon) water
Post workout drink
1000ml Water
5g Creatine Monohydrate
Post Workout meal
Poached Chicken Breast
A lot of Kale
100g (raw weight) white rice
Evening Meal
TBD – I haven’t had it yet

Training time = 11:30am
Main Movement
Front Squat
Warmup 60Kgs (132lbs) x 3, 67.5Kgs (135lbs) x 3
5 reps at 75% of Training Max = 77.5Kgs (310lbs)
3 reps at 85% of Training Max = 87.5Kgs (192.5lbs)
1+ reps at 95% of training max = 97.5Kgs (214.5lbs). I achieved 3 reps the last rep was slow but I think my form held up
Secondary movements
Dumbbell Row (pull towards hip) = 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps @ 44Kg (96.8lbs)
Set 1 = 10
Set 2 = 9
Set 3 = 8
Dumbbell Bench with neutral grip and elbows tucked in tight (touching my sides).
5x5 at 75% Training Max = 38Kg (83.6lbs) dumbbell in each hand
Supplemental movements (aka other stuff)
Barbell Biceps Curl
3 x 8 to 12 reps @ 40Kgs (88lbs)
Set 1, 2 and 3 all 8 reps
Lying dumbbell triceps extension
3 x 8 to 12 reps with 12Kg (26.4lbs) dumbbell in each hand
Set 1 = 12 reps, set 2 and 3 = 10 reps
A good day but very tiring. I’m glad I’m done with lifting for the week but I have another 4 days back to back next week starting from Tuesday as I’m not at work on Monday due to a bank holiday. I plan to do a lot of band pull aparts, some pull ups, push ups and some walking whilst wearing a weighted vest over the long weekend.